It's been out a while, do you recommend 4.3?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
They will get a fix and update their app, this happens with every update.

No, not every update kills hotspotting on dozens of apps. Now if you want to say that updates cause a variety of apps to force close or otherwise not work correctly, THAT would be a fair statement. but don't say that every update prevents hotspot apps from functioning.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
No, not every update kills hotspotting on dozens of apps. Now if you want to say that updates cause a variety of apps to force close or otherwise not work correctly, THAT would be a fair statement. but don't say that every update prevents hotspot apps from functioning.

No, actually, OS upgrades does kill this stuff, I used to use it long ago. This is nothing new and they said they will would get it taken care of.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
No, actually, OS upgrades does kill this stuff, I used to use it long ago. This is nothing new and they said they will would get it taken care of.

I didnt say that there have never been OS updates that have killed the popular hotspot apps. what I am saying is that not every update we have gotten has done so, which is contrary to your earlier assertion. YOU: " this happens with every update."

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Really? You are going to keep on with this? They will get it fixed and it really has nothing to do with update issues, that is a developer issue.

almath

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You gotta love 1812Dave's passion for a sub par update. I never had a problem with 4.1.2 and 4.3 is a little troublesome to people. I shouldn't have to factory reset my phone it's an over the air that should go without a lot of hiccups.
I know nothing is flawless but you have to admit there are just a few too many bugs with this update. I went through a few updates but they still weren't as bad as 4.3.
I'm not updating for as long as I can hold out, I'm glad it went well for some and I'm sorry not so well for others but I'll pass.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
You gotta love 1812Dave's passion for a sub par update. I never had a problem with 4.1.2 and 4.3 is a little troublesome to people. I shouldn't have to factory reset my phone it's an over the air that should go without a lot of hiccups.
I know nothing is flawless but you have to admit there are just a few too many bugs with this update. I went through a few updates but they still weren't as bad as 4.3.
I'm not updating for as long as I can hold out, I'm glad it went well for some and I'm sorry not so well for others but I'll pass.

I'm just moments away from clicking on casual to start rooting. :)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

No different than every update. If you will research, you will find that a reset is generally needed, which I'd also what the phone manufacturer and the software writer have always said, not to mention a lot of people that are developers and experts with changing the OS on android phones.

But what do they know? While you may never have buggy issues with an update, many do and a reset fixes that. Dave's problem is different, his app hasn't done a work around for the security, it isn't an android update issue, it's an app developer issue.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Ummm..Dave as you will notice, I wasn't responding to you or talking about you concerning resets. That is why I quoted the person I was talking too, so it is obvious who I am speaking to.

almath

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
No different than every update. If you will research, you will find that a reset is generally needed, which I'd also what the phone manufacturer and the software writer have always said, not to mention a lot of people that are developers and experts with changing the OS on android phones.

But what do they know? While you may never have buggy issues with an update, many do and a reset fixes that. Dave's problem is different, his app hasn't done a work around for the security, it isn't an android update issue, it's an app developer issue.

I'll agree to disagree. I'm nowhere new to android, know all about updates, and only did one factory reset on all the phones I've owned which was on my Nexus S. All other updates were not this problematic...... Still passing on the update!

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Ummm..Dave as you will notice, I wasn't responding to you or talking about you concerning resets. That is why I quoted the person I was talking too, so it is obvious who I am speaking to.

sorry, hard to keep up . I'm got a zillion tabs open and trying to get a handle on Casual which isn't working in it's latest incarnation.

deleted my post.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'll agree to disagree. I'm nowhere new to android, know all about updates, and only did one factory reset on all the phones I've owned which was on my Nexus S. All other updates were not this problematic...... Still passing on the update!

This one really hasn't been problematic, seriously. And actually, I'm not having issues with wakelocks that I had in 4.1.2 and the screen being too dim had been cleared up and there are some good feature updates.

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you everyone for all the commentary and insight, I really appreciate it.

Happy Holidays :)

Posted via Android Central App

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
While I can't speak to the 4.3 update for the Note 2 as I don't have it (don't want it as my Verizon Note 2 still works like a champ on 4.1.1 and I have no need for any of the fixes or features in 4.3). But I will say that updates are not without risk or potential issues. So each person considering the update should proceed at their own risk. It's just the nature of software updates; sometimes they work without issue, sometimes they bork the heck out of an otherwise working device. At a minimum, just be prepared to do a master factory reset to try to get things back in order if it all goes south after the update (of course back up your data before doing so, you DO backup your stuff on a regular basis anyway right? Right? :)).

Personally speaking, I'm typically happy with the original release software a device was originally designed for and ships with (my Note 10.1 the only exception as the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 update destroys ICS 4.0 that it came with!!!). Ultimately, I really wish Android gave us the native ability to turn off OS updates or at least have some measure of control over them. As it stands now, to get that type of control you have to root and freeze the OTA updater. :(

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes it did improve the look of the screen and ur is much brighter, something that was needed.

I have an odd thing now..I was having an issue with people hearing me. Took my phone today to to AT&T device center. They didn't have the Carrier Kies update yet, but a rep thought he was going to reflash my phone via their Kies, despite my warnings. Well he bricked my phone. They had to give me a new one and now, no matter the wallpaper I use, my notification bar is transparent on my home screen. Can't figure out why, but I'm not sure yet if I like it or not. See? No black notification bar.

The transparent notification bar is a feature of KitKat. Is the new phone they gave you running 4.4? Just wondered if a new Note 2 might have 4.4 installed. Just got it on my Ultra.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The transparent notification bar is a feature of KitKat. Is the new phone they gave you running 4.4? Just wondered if a new Note 2 might have 4.4 installed. Just got it on my Ultra.

No, it's 4.3. They had to update the phone via wifi at the center, it came with 4.1.2 installed. I haven't found a place yet to choose it to transparent or not. Every app or page the bar is black, just transparent on the home screen.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
No, it's 4.3. They had to update the phone via wifi at the center, it came with 4.1.2 installed. I haven't found a place yet to choose it to transparent or not. Every app or page the bat is black, just transparent on the home screen.

What I didn't think of is I use Nova Prime as my launcher and it gives me a choice of transparent notification bar or not. But that option didn't work before my update. I was on 4.2.2 before.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie