Galaxy Note 2 - Massive battery drain after 4.3 update

Khai Alabaster II

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
4.3 version really socks. It drain my battery even in save mode and it's not normal when I charge my battery for 8 hours. Still not full. Please update to the new version or let us update back to 4.1.2! From malaysia

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
The battery drain is a Google location bug, Samsung told me about it a few weeks ago and said Google was working on a fix. I saw today a fix has been done and they are starting to release a new version of Google Play. They are taking about 4.4 Android in this article, but our Google play should be updated also. Google addresses the battery drain.

http://m.androidauthority.com/google-play-services-4-1-update-332922/

This guys.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Christos Terzis

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Tesekkur ederim arkadas. This is the most comprehensive answer I have had up to date. Knox really is working constantly and I have noticed that when I use the phone battery consumption is normal, but when I let it sleep it drains like mad. Just as the video showed, Knox is working constantly using a huge chunk of my cpu. I'm thinking of rooting and trying to remove Knox or down grade to 4.1.2.
The one to blame is the Samsung Knox that comes with 4.3. It just works as a new user on your phone and can do all the things you can do and even more. It is the one that keeps waking other apps and not letting the phone go into deep sleep mode. Actually you have an icon of knox that says install when you click. Unfortunately some part of it is already installed and can not be uninstalled. In some forums they tell how to uninstall it but to use that method you need to install it first, and after the uninstall process you are at the beginning again, where some part of it still installed. If you check settings>more>battery you don't see that this program is running!!! If you check settings>more>applications you don't see even that it is installed!!! But it is there using your battery and probably spying on you (because it has that privilege). However you can use 3. party applications to catch it. Just check:
Samsung KNOX Software is Spying on you and Draining Your Battery - YouTube
This is why we have the same problem since the 4.3 update. I tried everything to get rid of it but it is imposible at the moment. I just void my warranty to get rid of it but failed again. I will not try anything else until someone really find a solution. There are some solutions that some says it worked for them but it is to late for me, because those methods need a rooted device and some apps like supersu. And the method used a backdoor of knox which kept open at the begining. 4.3 distributed at the end of 2013 in Turkey, and I updated. After few days a popup says my phone needs a security update about android and I click yes! Now that backdoor was closed for knox! NO WAY TO GET RID OF IT at the moment. The suggestions above are good but they are good for any device anyway. Not the direct solution for our problem. I installed Battery doctor which seems to improve my battery life but this is also a temporary solution. I want knox to gone for good! Battery doctor keeps closing some apps but they keep geting active again. Besides knox decides everything therefor a bunch of other applications I tried had failed because knox says "an unauthorized attempt has been detected..." etc etc. and don't allow these applications to do their job to save on my cpu and battery. I wish I never get this update "present" for the new year. 4.1.2 was much much much better!

serpico

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
My battery has always been up and down since the last two updates from my carrier. When I got the phone a year ago the battery lasted very long into the next day. But since this update of 4.3 it seems very unpredictable but getting better as the weeks go by. Some days though, I think it's best to just go back to a regular phone like a Moto RAZR ! Then just use this as a tablet lol.

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Tesekkur ederim arkadas. This is the most comprehensive answer I have had up to date. Knox really is working constantly and I have noticed that when I use the phone battery consumption is normal, but when I let it sleep it drains like mad. Just as the video showed, Knox is working constantly using a huge chunk of my cpu. I'm thinking of rooting and trying to remove Knox or down grade to 4.1.2.

Comprehensive but I'm not entirely sure Knox is to blame, least not entirely. Its easy to blame bloat ware though. However I was seeing terrible drain after the update and for weeks it's had me stumped. Until Google released an update to Google Play Services which in the update notes stated it addressed battery drain issues. Once I downloaded the APK (I could have waited for the update to be pushed but wanted a fix now) and installed it, the effects were instantly noticeable. Google Play Services completely dropped off my battery usage screen and my battery was back to performing as good as if not better then what it was on 4.1.2.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Christos Terzis

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Can you please tell me where you got the APK fromt md? Google services have had an update recently but I'm not sure if that was it. It made no difference on the drain.

nickylyf

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I did the following, and it helps a lot, like before upgrade to 4.3:

1) install Greenify - the new version support non-rooted device; and hibernate all applications except Whatsapp and other Apps needs to run all the time
2) In Manage Apps, browse through All Apps, and find all those Samsung services: "....syncAdapter", "backup provider", "cloud...","push service", "print service", "link"..., turn them off and Forced to stop

Actually, Note 2 belongs to my wife, which is not rooted. My own S3 is rooted, and runs AOKP android 4.3, which does not have battery drainage ..... so 4.3 & google service is not to be blamed. If I have time, I would root the Note2 as well to get rid of all those useless Samsung service.
( I disabled location reporting, but allows Android device manager to remotely located it)

Last edited:

Christos Terzis

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I did the following, and it helps a lot, like before upgrade to 4.3:

1) install Greenify - the new version support non-rooted device; and hibernate all applications except Whatsapp and other Apps needs to run all the time
2) In Manage Apps, browse through All Apps, and find all those Samsung services: "....syncAdapter", "backup provider", "cloud...","push service", "print service", "link"..., turn them off and Forced to stop

Actually, Note 2 belongs to my wife, which is not rooted. My own S3 is rooted, and runs AOKP android 4.3, which does not have battery drainage ..... so 4.3 & google service is not to be blamed. If I have time, I would root the Note2 as well to get rid of all those useless Samsung service.
( I disabled location reporting, but allows Android device manager to remotely located it)
I have installed Greenify but it only shows normal downloaded apps. It does not show Knox, which is I believe the main culprit of the wakelocks. I will probably hibernate most apps but I doubt it will solve anything. Before 4.3 and Knox my battery run for days without Greenify.

Aamir India

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Search and found this link about uninstalling Knox: (I haven't tried yet, will do later tonight)

How do I Remove/Uninstall Knox Personal on my Samsung Galaxy Note? 3? : T-Mobile Cell Phones | Samsung

Hi Guys, I am from India. This post is very very relevant to what is happening to my Note II. I installed the Usage App from the video and found KNOX doing the same as explained. I was also on 4.1.2 and upgraded to 4.3 and did the very mistake of accepting the small security upgrade by Samsung later. The link above is not really helpful for uninstalling KNOX. When I clicked the KNOX shortcut in my cellphone, the initial screen is asking me to Install it now. What a joke!! So there are no such options as explained in the link. Probably it is something specific to T-Mobile and completely irrelevant to a person like me in India where the service provider doesn't even exist as a carrier. If anyone finds a real solution, please post. Thanks to you all for this post!

Christos Terzis

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I pressume that for this to work KNOX has to be installed already. I have not installed it. The one always running in the background is a KNOX component (there are three that came with the 4.3 update). If after you've tried this, KNOX and all of its components are forever gone please let me know so that I can install it and then uninstall and get rid of everything together.
search and found this link about uninstalling Knox (I haven't tried yet, will do later tonight back at home)

How do I Remove/Uninstall Knox Personal on my Samsung Galaxy Note? 3? : T-Mobile Cell Phones | Samsung

Aamir India

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
This may help but needs to be tested. Past 11PM my time, so need to go to bed. Let me know if you guys give it a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

serkansancak

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I spent more than an hour to write the solution I found that worked for me in details, but it is not appearing?! Don't know the reason. I'll write when I have time again. Any suggestion about how to get back what I've written?

Christos Terzis

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Typical! You find the solution and then your comment cannot be posted! I wrote my last comment two times before it was posted. Thank God it was small. Please try to write it again when you have the time Serkan. Tesekkurler.
I spent more than an hour to write the solution I found that worked for me in details, but it is not appearing?! Don't know the reason. I'll write when I have time again. Any suggestion about how to get back what I've written?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand the hubbub over Knox. I have two Note 2's here with 4.3 and neither one drains the battery any faster than the past 15 months on the previous 2 OS releases.

nickylyf

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I pressume that for this to work KNOX has to be installed already. I have not installed it. The one always running in the background is a KNOX component (there are three that came with the 4.3 update). If after you've tried this, KNOX and all of its components are forever gone please let me know so that I can install it and then uninstall and get rid of everything together.

I tried, and found the same message .... prompt to INSTALL Knox. So, I didn't install. Knox is in fact not running in my case. In Manage Apps, I have Forced Stop all Knox related components/services.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1