Galaxy Note 2 - Massive battery drain after 4.3 update

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
^ I also disabled G+ since I don't use it but my battery life is really good since 4.3 update.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2.

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I flashed two different official 4.1.2 firmwares on my phone. Reason being that I could not register on a GSM network and I still can't. Both gave me the previous excellent battery life that my phone had. So the battery drain is definitely a 4.3 mess up and I don't think that anything much can be done about it. I just hope I can find a firmware that gives me GSM access so I don't have to go back to 4.3.

Barely 24 hours and you've fully tested two 4.1.2 builds!?

Honestly believe you're chasing red herrings. All the time and effort you're wasting watching the percentage!

It's not 4.3. Something else is your problem. There are plenty of Note II users having great battery life on 4.3, myself included. I honestly believe there is some sort of bedding in period after upgrading or factory resetting as Google services seem to increase their battery draw for a limited time and it skews results leading you to believe there's a problem. I mean, have you persevered with 4.3 for a month or so? This was certainly my experience with 4.3 and that of my wife's S3 on 4.3. Poor battery performance initially but stabilises after time. I don't know why.

It's that or your battery is just shot.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Christos Terzis

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Ι have 4.3 on again . The official release. And battery life is just great (for now). I had the 4.3 for more than a month with bad battery life. That is why I tried all solutions I could find. I changed the 4.1.2 releases in 24 hours because they would not connect to a GSM service in my country so they were useless. Anyway I am on 4.3 and unrooted now and hope to stay that way.
Barely 24 hours and you've fully tested two 4.1.2 builds!?

Honestly believe you're chasing red herrings. All the time and effort you're wasting watching the percentage!

It's not 4.3. Something else is your problem. There are plenty of Note II users having great battery life on 4.3, myself included. I honestly believe there is some sort of bedding in period after upgrading or factory resetting as Google services seem to increase their battery draw for a limited time and it skews results leading you to believe there's a problem. I mean, have you persevered with 4.3 for a month or so? This was certainly my experience with 4.3 and that of my wife's S3 on 4.3. Poor battery performance initially but stabilises after time. I don't know why.

It's that or your battery is just shot.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Aamir India

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site

Christos Terzis

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi Friends,

When I read the solution, I was little worried to go with the steps but eventually did so on the last w/e. And got rid of KNOX for good.
Initially my battery drain felt to be fixed but is it still there... :(
But now my phone is rooted at least :)

By the way, the battery drain may not have a solution in 4.3.
Please read: Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2 10 Major Issues from New Official Android 4.3 Jelly Bean in the U.S. - International Business Times
Αamir here is something I found out yesterday. When I went back to 4.3 I installed all my previous apps, not from a backup but one by one. I had forgotten only one. It was sheer providence I believe. That one was the Automatic Call Recorder by App.liqato (Appstar Solutions). It was an application that had an exemplary performance on 4.1.2. So I installed it yesterday. An hour and a half after the installation my battery went from 100% to 85%! The wakelock apps showed the dreaded "battery monitor" and "suspend backoff" again and wakelock time was at 85%! I uninstalled immediately and my battery life is great again. It would seem that the application is not totally compatible with 4.3. Notice that no battery monitor or wakelock app showed it as the culprit. But still, that was ahat was draining my battery. If you have it installed uninstall it and see if it works for you too. Hope it helps.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Αamir here is something I found out yesterday. When I went back to 4.3 I installed all my previous apps, not from a backup but one by one. I had forgotten only one. It was sheer providence I believe. That one was the Automatic Call Recorder by App.liqato (Appstar Solutions). It was an application that had an exemplary performance on 4.1.2. So I installed it yesterday. An hour and a half after the installation my battery went from 100% to 85%! The wakelock apps showed the dreaded "battery monitor" and "suspend backoff" again and wakelock time was at 85%! I uninstalled immediately and my battery life is great again. It would seem that the application is not totally compatible with 4.3. Notice that no battery monitor or wakelock app showed it as the culprit. But still, that was ahat was draining my battery. If you have it installed uninstall it and see if it works for you too. Hope it helps.

I have had Automatic Call Recorder installed for months and have zero issues with it and battery life on either 4.1.2 or 4.3. Apparently your mileage may vary or perhaps its a combination of certain apps that causes ACR to appear to be a culprit in dismal battery life. Just a thought.

Alcorn57

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem,even changed battery for new one ,it used to last about two days now im lucky if I get eight hours of use from it.

It also now keeps dropping internet ,that I have used for years at home at work etc , stating service is unstable ,my wife is sat next to me using same service with no problems :( I have read on the internet Samsung have real problem with the update ,but have not announced a fix for it

Last edited:

Aamir India

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site

Thanks Christos for pointing out Auto Call Recorder but I never had it. But since KNOX has been removed my battery life has improved but not to what I had on 4.1.2. At times it is good but at times Android OS seems to be eating the battery rather than any application. Can you please point me to the link from where you followed instructions to go back to 4.1.2 (mine is an international version of Note II)? And how has been your battery life with 4.3 now? Thanks in advance!!

amcjavelinsst

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I updated to 4.3 a few days ago
No issues that I notice really
One thing I did not select was for Google to scan for malicious apps or something of the sort
I use Avast and am happy for that to do its own thing
Just putting it out there
Cheers

Sent from my GT-N7105T using AC Forums mobile app

DrDrag

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Christos! After uninstall Automatic Call Recorder my Note2 seems working properly again! No more battery gobbling :)

Last edited:

Christos Terzis

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Christos for pointing out Auto Call Recorder but I never had it. But since KNOX has been removed my battery life has improved but not to what I had on 4.1.2. At times it is good but at times Android OS seems to be eating the battery rather than any application. Can you please point me to the link from where you followed instructions to go back to 4.1.2 (mine is an international version of Note II)? And how has been your battery life with 4.3 now? Thanks in advance!!
Ηello Aamir. This is the link. Be warned though that you may end up with a phone that does not have gsm recognition for your area. If that is the case only the official 4.3 update for your area from Sammobile will do. Link for installing 4.1.2 and unrooting: How to Unroot Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 to Official Firmware [GUIDE]

Christos Terzis

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Ηello Aamir. This is the link. Be warned though that you may end up with a phone that does not have gsm recognition for your area. If that is the case only the official 4.3 update for your area from Sammobile will do. Link for installing 4.1.2 and unrooting: How to Unroot Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 to Official Firmware [GUIDE]
Also Aamir you can install Mobile Odin and then download the official update from Sammobile here: Firmwares | SamMobile . This is much easier and it does not unroot your phone. I hope it works for you.

tonylinde

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Problem solved with my phone's battery drain. The Android 4.3 update introduced a feature which allows the phone to switch from wifi to mobile data if the wifi signal is weak: called 'Auto network switch' (easy to Google its location on your own device) which is set on by default. In my house I have three routers connected by powerline adapters coupled with a very weak mobile signal. Moving around the house meant constant switching of networks, not to mention my mobile allowance getting used up, and it was this that was draining the battery. I set the switch off (and turned off mobile data since I didn't need it in the house and am pretty much house bound for the next couple of weeks). Result is, after a whole day of much the same use as before, my battery level is still only down to 70%!

f6gnz

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
My Note II battery lasted only 16 hours with phone sitting on the table after 4.3 update. Battery was drained by Google Services (35% battery drain). I killed this application and battery lifr went back to normal. Only Google Play Service remained and it drained only 3% of battery current! So, this IS a solution, but should be applied agter each OFF/ON or reboot.

Jawad Younas

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
i have the same issue of battery drainage .. i m using note 2 gt N7100 and 4.3 jelly bean official update .. there is alot bugs coming to android as well . when playing music .. it plays like stop stop play .. then stop .. play ... browser turns off .. then i have to clear ram . again i have to start browser .. alot of bugs . i cant say all of them .. plz samsung solve our issues ..

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish