Help: Background Data disabling itself? on Note 2 with KitKat

Buckot

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Whenever I go to the Google Play store, I get a message that background data must be enabled which is weird since it's always enabled. To get around the problem, I click the enable background data button which opens up the data settings panel (or whatever you call it - can't remember as I'm doing this from memory), which I immediately close, then I quit the Google play store and restart it at which point it works. This happens every time I use Google Play. A consequence of this behaviour is that my apps don't automatically update until manually go through and make the play store work, at which point I'll have a backlog of applications that need updating.

I don't know for sure but I don't think this behaviour occurred before the recent (a few months ago) update to Kit Kat.

I have my data set to always use wifi for downloading applications and updates. I suspect what's happening is that when I change wifi zones (routers) even though I automatically log into the local zone (typically my home or work wifi) and I have a data connection, the play store doesn't seem to recognize a valid data connection is in place.

Does this seam normal? Is that an app or gadget to prevent background data from being disabled?

I'm running a Galaxy Note 2 with the normal KitKat OS on the Rogers Canada network.