HI everybody I have had a Note 2 for a couple of years but having bought a Note 4 I need to sell it. There was a problem with some of the chrome missing from the bezel so I bought a new bezel/inner case and replaced the old one. During the course of this I found that the battery had swollen up.
    It was hard work replacing the bezel but when I finished replacing it I found that when I wake the phone up or restart it, a grey screen appears for a second before the home screen. Have I caused this and is it likely to make the phone fail in the future ? The phone has been reset to factory settings BTW.
    05-02-2015 06:58 AM
    HI everybody I have had a Note 2 for a couple of years but having bought a Note 4 I need to sell it. There was a problem with some of the chrome missing from the bezel so I bought a new bezel/inner case and replaced the old one. During the course of this I found that the battery had swollen up.
    It was hard work replacing the bezel but when I finished replacing it I found that when I wake the phone up or restart it, a grey screen appears for a second before the home screen. Have I caused this and is it likely to make the phone fail in the future ? The phone has been reset to factory settings BTW.
    it sounds like hardware damage. whether you caused it or not we'll probably never know but it's likely. these are delicate electronics and really should not be messed with by novices. let this serve as a lesson not to F with your new Note 4.

sell it "as is" with a clear notation of the problem or keep it as a backup phone or give it away to a desperate friend in need.

good luck.
    TheGadget likes this.
    05-02-2015 07:32 AM
    Thanks, I am not really a novice as I have repaired several phones successfully and this only involved removing the the inner case, none of the components. However your advice is sound so I will have to sell it with a clear description and take my chances.
    05-03-2015 03:34 AM
    Novice or not, it sounds from the sequence of events, that you did disturb something. What, I've no idea, but hopefully it won't get worse and you can use the phone until you feel ready to purchase another phone. good luck with it!
    TheGadget likes this.
    05-03-2015 01:48 PM
    Also mention that it needs a new battery (which could possibly be the cause of the gray screen).
    TheGadget likes this.
    05-04-2015 05:59 PM
    I don't think the battery caused the grey screen. My oem battery also swelled and I never had that issue. My chrome is also chipped :-( I'm sorry about the grey screen. Not sure what thatd be
    TheGadget likes this.
    05-06-2015 06:55 AM
    I got a new battery and that didn't sort it but it works ok . I suppose with hindsight I should have bought a tin of modeller's chrome paint. Honestly it looked so bad though.
    riskybzns likes this.
    05-09-2015 03:07 PM