Google Earth 1G of memory

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I have a samsung galaxy note 2 running 4.4.2 and lots of crazy things have been happening to it lately. I noticed that I had 4.92 gigabytes of total memory of which 4.82 we're being used leaving 100 megabytes left for everything else which isn't too good and there were times when you just knew it ran out of memory and shutdown and rebooted.

So I've been killing many of my non important contacts. I have 4500 and some of them have a lot of information in the detail/notes area. But that doesn't seem to be helping that much and I am up to the Js. I probably will remove about 3000.

Then I found Google Earth within main memory and I thought I had put it out to the SD card. But after a clean boot from a battery change it was there, all 1 gig of memory in the device memory. So I killed it and took it off my phone. Now I have 3.82 gigabytes used and I'm hoping things will get much better until I replace the phone. I'm in the process of looking for a new one and I will not buy Samsung where I can not change the battery and out in an SD card. What a stupid mistake Samsung made by putting in a permanent battery. I'm now looking at the Windows Phone, which has the better camera and allows for a 2 terabyte SD card and replaceable batteries. Plus I'm not wild about androids contacts and email. When I write an email, even now after I got rid of Google Earth, when I back up to try to get rid of an error it jumps up two or three lines higher and starts backing up there. It is horrible and happens with at least 85% of my edits and that is not a memory issue, at least not anymore. And I did do a brand new factory reset about a month ago and that didn't help either. I wonder if anyone else is seeing this happen with Android phones other than the Galaxy Note 2 under 4.4.2. It's funny, it won't happen in here but it will happen in emails and only in emails. And then also out of nowhere I lost on my calendar entries and the few days ago I lost all my email accounts and had to re-setup them all

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your problems. Things like this could be due to misbehaving 3rd party apps that don't interact with other apps or the system, or the firmware itself might be getting corrupted. You could try reinstalling the firmware by using Samsung Kies or Smart Switch.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the phone is more than 3 years old, and it's not that unusual for some phones to start having hardware problems over time, perhaps related to aging memory chips.

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
My Windows laptop was a mess because if Kaspersky updates. I took it out and reinstalled it ava then reinstalled my tax programs, which were having the problems, and everything was fine and fast.

I had no idea that memory chips they get a little old malfunction. I guess it could also be the board or boards. Google Earth always crashed eventually

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I had no idea that memory chips they get a little old malfunction. I guess it could also be the board or boards.

Yeah, this is pretty common. I would guess that some computer companies might source cheaper and less reliable chips to contain costs, since they figure most people wlll upgrade their computers after 2-3 years anyway.

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your problems. Things like this could be due to misbehaving 3rd party apps that don't interact with other apps or the system, or the firmware itself might be getting corrupted. You could try reinstalling the firmware by using Samsung Kies or Smart Switch.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the phone is more than 3 years old, and it's not that unusual for some phones to start having hardware problems over time, perhaps related to aging memory chips.

The problem with my phone was not aging, it was the pre selected Microsoft Exchange Server accounts when I set up that email. I had noticed the batteries we're going so fast, I was using four a day and the phone was always hot even though the batteries were charged in wall chargers. So as it turns out I have an outlook.com account and the server addresses were wrong and it kept accessing it and accessing it all the time trying to make a connection. With that said the phone was constantly on and constantly working hard never really in standby. With the phone being so hot all the time, it eventually fried what was inside and my lost data and files were a result of that heat. Eventually on December 21st the note to totally died and would not load in the operating system.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
A-ha! Thanks for sharing this info. Sorry your phone died, but hopefully this will help others facing the same issue!