Regular Note 20 better screen than the Ultra ?

bobxxz

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
When I checked it out at BestBuy today, the flat screen was really nice. To be honest, I would've definitely picked up the regular Note 20 if they included the 120Hz screen on there at the very least. I really prefer flat screen over curved screen due to accidental touches I always had with other Samsung phones (S7 Edge, S8+, Note 9, S10+). Like Lew mentions, the back does feel very cheap though. It felt like its made of complete plastic. The price of $999 is just absurd for what it offers.

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I think video enhancer is enabled on the regular Note 20 and not on the Ultra and that's why the screen looks better.

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I like buying new phones all the time and trade in or sell my previous phone to subsidize the cost of the new phone.
I purchased the smaller Note 10 last year and that was better than what was put out this year. At least that phone has 256gb memory option.

Even with that greater memory I still would it immediately cause of the lack luster specs it lost resale value quick. After 3 week with the phone it was $250-300 cheaper than cost.

I mention this cause the same is bound to happen with the regular Note 20.

AndroidPurity

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
Note 20 Ultra Less Vivid & Less Bright than Note 20

Recently famous tech review channel "Unbox Therapy" posted a first impressions unboxing video of the Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra.

While comparing the 2 devices he happened to noticed when comparing the 2 models that the display of the ULTRA was way LESS vivid and LESS bright than the STANDARD Note 20.

He confirmed both were set to 100% brightness, both had adaptive brightness OFF, both were set to Vivid Screen Mode, and both had the white point in the center.

You can view the video and see the difference yourself in the video here....

https://youtu.be/5IPvqS0NTzU

Time stamp 8:50 if you just want to jump right when he realizes the display difference between them, and starts to troubleshoot this strange difference.

I was planning on potentially preordering the Note 20 Ultra so this really bothered me since I prefer a Vivid display. It shows on video he checked every setting except "Adaptive Color Filter" and "Enhanced Video."

My Testing and Results

So I knew I had to go to the store to see for myself and I went to Best Buy today and they had both the Note 20 & Note 20 Ultra on display.

Bad news... SAME exact results that Lew from Unbox Therapy had. See the pictures of all settings and testing I did below.

In all pictures the Note 20 Ultra is on the Left, the Standard Note 20 on the Right.

Brightness at Max for both displays, and Adaptive Brightness disabled for both devices, and Blue Light Filter disabled for both devices, and both devices set to Vivid mode.
Display Settings Picture Click Here

Adaptive Color was also disabled on both devices.
Adaptive Color Filter Picture Click Here

Notice the Standard Note 20 on the right has a brighter white point.
White Balance Comparison Picture Click Here

This is a 4K UHD wallpaper I downloaded onto both devices. It's the exact same image from the same website. Notice that the Standard Note 20 on the right has more Vivid looking colors with better contrast.
Color Comparison Picture Click Here

CONCLUSION:
After spending literally 30+ minutes standing there playing around with both phones, it seems the brightness is pretty close to the same on both. But the Standard Note 20 did seem to have a slight edge on 100% brightness. However the main big difference is the Standard Note 20 has more Vivid colors and Higher Contrast.

I do not think this is because the Note 20 Ultra display is not able to produce colors and contrast as Vivid as the Regular Note 20. I believe it just has to do with the display calibration in the hard coded software of the Ultra that is causing the colors to be more Natural than Vivid.

I came to the conclusion it was a software issue when I was watching the same YouTube video on both displays (Video Enhancer was disabled for both devices), and when playing the video the Ultra suddenly kicked into a more Vivid mode making it look nearly identical to the Regular Note.

Then when closing out of the video and to the YouTube home page it went back to a more Natural color and less contrast mode. Of course that was strange since video enhancer was disabled for both devices.

So this proves the display is capable of being Vivid with High Contrast, but just something in software that Samsung needs to calibrate in the Ultra model. Or maybe worse... potentially this was intentional by Samsung to help preserve battery since it is a 120hz display?

So Samsung needs to.... 1.) Crank up the Vividness of the Vivid mode to at least be Equal to the Standard Note and 2.) Fix video enhancement from turning on during YouTube videos when it's disabled in settings.

So I'm holding off to make a decision on whether to preorder or not since there is still about 12 days left. Meanwhile I hope that they push out a early release software update to fix the Vivid color profile on the Ultra. This is technically preproduction software so it COULD change with a software update, but there's of course no guarantee Samsung will fix this.

So if you prefer a Vivid display that Samsung is typically known for, then it is up to us as consumers to bring this to the attention of Samsung and popular Tech Reviewers, because Samsung doesn't know to fix this color calibration in software unless we make noise to let them know we want a Vivid display.

What is everyone's thoughts on this? Would this be a deal breaker for you on a $1,300 phone if the Vivid Colors and Contrast is noticeably less when compared to your current phone? or do you prefer a more natural less vivid display?

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Re: Note 20 Ultra Less Vivid & Less Bright than Note 20

People see different things.

That's been also evident in displays of screens , hue and photo's and can be different on different phone's of the same model. Some have been known to go through quite a few phone models to reach the display panel they are happy with.

I viewed his YouTube comparison a few days ago and seriously couldn't see an issue with both.

AndroidPurity

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site

I prefer more natural

I wish I could say the same! Although there is certainly some scenarios I prefer a natural color profile. Mainly with some movies. Otherwise while navigating through the OS I definitely prefer Vivid.

Last edited:

AndroidPurity

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site

People see different things.

That's been also evident in displays of screens , hue and photo's and can be different on different phone's of the same model. Some have been known to go through quite a few phone models to reach the display panel they are happy with.

I viewed his YouTube comparison a few days ago and seriously couldn't see an issue with both.

That's true, different people can percieve colors in slightly different shades sometimes. But even if 2 people (without any color disorders) see a color in a slightly different shades, then if you put 2 different blues in front of them, they will still both be able to tell they aren't the same color. Even if they both perceive the color just slightly different.

Regardless of individuals color perception or preference according to Samsung, on their website for the Note 20 Ultra, they say "Galaxy's Brightest Most Vivid Display." Then in fine print at the bottom of the webpage with reference number 1 that this only applies to the Ultra.

So that means the Ultra is meant to be designed and calibrated to be perceived as more vivid and more bright to consumers than any other Samsung phone. If that's not what the majority of consumers are perceiving when comparing the phones side by side, then something is off in their display calibration.

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Bro does anyone here crank their displays to 100? I couldn't even do it it's insanely bright

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish