08-16-2020 04:29 PM
27 12
tools
    Never ordered unlocked phone before so what should I do/expect? Assuming I will need a new SIM card or just pop out of old phone? What about voicemail?

I am currently a VZW customer but seriously considering switching to TMob. I will be upgrading from a S9+.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    08-07-2020 02:51 PM
    I'm a former legacy sprint customer (RIP) which is now t-mobile using the note 10 plus. I bought my note 20 ultra as an unlocked version as well. According to sprint,my note 10 plus' sim card IS COMPATIBLE with the new note 20 ultra.
    ihbsbA and runfar262 like this.
    08-07-2020 03:04 PM
    Never ordered unlocked phone before so what should I do/expect? Assuming I will need a new SIM card or just pop out of old phone? What about voicemail?

I am currently a VZW customer but seriously considering switching to TMob.
    I'm a former legacy sprint customer (RIP) which is now t-mobile using the note 10 plus. I bought my note 20 ultra as an unlocked version as well. According to sprint,my note 10 plus' sim card IS COMPATIBLE with the new note 20 ultra. What phone do you currently have?
    runfar262 likes this.
    08-07-2020 03:05 PM
    Same boat. Note 10+ going to the Note 20 512 GB unlocked. First time going with unlocked. Sprint was clueless via chat when I asked about what I needed to do so I can be ready to activate it when it arrives. It's like nobody ever wanted to be able to use their phone the day they got it. I was told by them my note 10+ sim wouldn't work and to call once I get the device and they could try and order a sim, even though I kept telling them repeatedly I want to be able to activate it when I receive it and waiting days for a sim is not acceptable. 45 mins of that basically over and over again. I kept getting a link from him where there is no online way of ordering a sim. Just useless. So chat as usual was a bust. Ended up calling telesales and the rep said I would need to buy a sim and he checked to see if they had one then he came back and said they have a sim for the note 20 ultra, he did the order over the phone which was $10 and I've already got tracking on it. I guess I'd rather be safe.
    ihbsbA likes this.
    08-07-2020 03:46 PM
    Same boat. Note 10+ going to the Note 20 512 GB unlocked. First time going with unlocked. Sprint was clueless via chat when I asked about what I needed to do so I can be ready to activate it when it arrives.
    I've done several upgrades of unlocked phones on T-Mobile. You just transfer the sim card from the old phone to the new, and it works. No need to buy a new sim card.
    08-07-2020 05:14 PM
    Assuming I will need a new SIM card or just pop out of old phone? What about voicemail?

I am currently a VZW customer but seriously considering switching to TMob.
    My last 2 have been unlocked I just pop in the Sim card from the phone I am replacing.
    I am on VZW so no problems. Good to go in minutes

If you switch later to TM they will give you a new TM SIM.

Voicemail has not been a problem.
    08-07-2020 05:44 PM
    My last 2 have been unlocked I just pop in the Sim card from the phone I am replacing.

I am wondering if it matters if you come from a phone that isn't 5G or if that even matters. Also on VZ and getting an unlocked for the first time.
    08-07-2020 06:10 PM
    I'm a former legacy sprint customer (RIP) which is now t-mobile using the note 10 plus. I bought my note 20 ultra as an unlocked version as well. According to sprint,my note 10 plus' sim card IS COMPATIBLE with the new note 20 ultra.
    This is exactly what I did - I guess we will pop the sim over and find out in t minus 14 days.
    08-07-2020 09:26 PM

So no problem with IMEI with just swapping the SIM? And does it also get around that stupid new phone activation fee they always charge?
    08-08-2020 12:53 PM
    Looks like your questions have been answered, OP! I've bought some phones unlocked as well. They should work with your carrier since they are unlocked models. Just pop your old SIM into your new phone and you'll be good to go!

Going unlocked is a great route! Enjoy your new phone when it arrives!
    EMGSM likes this.
    08-08-2020 01:02 PM
    So no problem with IMEI with just swapping the SIM? And does it also get around that stupid new phone activation fee they always charge?
    The rep I talked to at VZW said there is an "upgrade" fee of $40 for each line I am upgrading. He said they will just put it on my bill when they see the new phones ont here. We'll see what happens... It's clearly a rip off since they don't actually have to lift a finger, but what are you going to do?
    08-08-2020 02:05 PM
    On Verizon I always just swap SIM from old phone to new one.
    benjamminh likes this.
    08-09-2020 10:34 AM
    I don't recall ever seeing an upgrade fee on an unlocked phone I got. Verizon variant I think they do charge you. Otherwise you would get a charge if you like to switch phones or buy used.
    08-09-2020 10:37 AM
    I don't recall ever seeing an upgrade fee on an unlocked phone I got. Verizon variant I think they do charge you. Otherwise you would get a charge if you like to switch phones or buy used.
    I'm crossing my fingers that you are right ClintRo. That's kind of what I was thinking would happen, but without experience, I could only report what the rep told me.
    08-09-2020 10:48 AM
    I'm crossing my fingers that you are right ClintRo. That's kind of what I was thinking would happen, but without experience, I could only report what the rep told me.
    Just put your old SIM card in the new phone. Being it's unlocked you will not pay that fee. I've never paid it in the ones I got unlocked.. That's a bonus of buying unlocked
    benjamminh and runfar262 like this.
    08-09-2020 11:13 AM
    Just put your old SIM card in the new phone. Being it's unlocked you will not pay that fee. I've never paid it in the ones I got unlocked.. That's a bonus of buying unlocked
    That's exactly what a sprint engineer told me. Simple as pie
    runfar262 likes this.
    08-09-2020 12:07 PM
    That's exactly what a sprint engineer told me. Simple as pie
    Had another Sprint employee tell me the SIM cards are "phone specific". I will be super irritated if my Note 10+ card doesn't work.

#callmekaren
    08-09-2020 01:36 PM
    Had another Sprint employee tell me the SIM cards are "phone specific". I will be super irritated if my Note 10+ card doesn't work.

#callmekaren
    Think its more "specific" to you phone number
    08-09-2020 01:41 PM

I am currently a VZW customer but seriously considering switching to TMob. I will be upgrading from a S9+.
    I use unlocked on VZW and just swap my sim card from whatever phone I have. After about a month I'll go into a corporate store and get a new sim just so there's no issues.
    08-09-2020 02:14 PM
    The rep I talked to at VZW said there is an "upgrade" fee of $40 for each line I am upgrading. He said they will just put it on my bill when they see the new phones ont here. We'll see what happens... It's clearly a rip off since they don't actually have to lift a finger, but what are you going to do?
    The upgrade fee is only if you purchase the phone through Verizon
    benjamminh likes this.
    08-09-2020 04:52 PM
    The upgrade fee is only if you purchase the phone through Verizon
    There is an upgrade fee if you buy the Verizon model through Samsung if you use the supplied SIM
    08-09-2020 04:55 PM
    There is an upgrade fee if you buy the Verizon model through Samsung if you use the supplied SIM
    Thanks I didn't realize they did that when you don't purchase from them. TMobile doesn't do that. What about the unlocked model?
    08-09-2020 04:57 PM
    Oh wait i see what you are saying. I never use the supplied card. I just put my old one in.
    08-09-2020 05:03 PM
    I bought a VZW Note 9 0n Samsung and used my VZW S7 sim and was good to go. No upgrade fee.
    benjamminh likes this.
    08-09-2020 05:08 PM

#callmekaren
    Hence one of the reasons Sprint no longer is a thing.
    ihbsbA likes this.
    08-09-2020 05:15 PM
27 12