*~* Unlocked vs T-Mobile *~*

Bike Mi Vie

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
So I've been trying to secure myself a 512GB.
At one time unlocked and TMobile was sold out

At first I was going to get a unlocked because just for fun. I don't actually plan on going out of country before I am eligible to actually do it. I wanted the unlocked because I wanted a more 'vanilla' version. That's it really. Now that the issues of bands not being in certain versions or whatever, (if there are any other potential issues lemme know) I also wanted to go unlocked maybe resell as well, (higher resell value? I'm not sure).

But now that I have the chance to get unlocked I started reading how Samsung is slow to update their phones vs carriers. I know I guess could use Odin to flash to T-Mobile but yeah.
If I get the unlocked could I flash to T-Mobile and then get the update?

Opinions and advice, suggestions wanted

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Those are old times, US unlocked models now get updates before the bloat filled carrier models. So yeah US unlocked models are better in every way now for me personally.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So I've been trying to secure myself a 512GB.
At one time unlocked and TMobile was sold out

At first I was going to get a unlocked because just for fun. I don't actually plan on going out of country before I am eligible to actually do it. I wanted the unlocked because I wanted a more 'vanilla' version. That's it really. Now that the issues of bands not being in certain versions or whatever, (if there are any other potential issues lemme know) I also wanted to go unlocked maybe resell as well, (higher resell value? I'm not sure).

But now that I have the chance to get unlocked I started reading how Samsung is slow to update their phones vs carriers. I know I guess could use Odin to flash to T-Mobile but yeah.
If I get the unlocked could I flash to T-Mobile and then get the update?

Opinions and advice, suggestions wanted
Yes you can flash to Carrier firmware and still get updates

Bike Mi Vie

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
Those are old times, US unlocked models now get updates before the bloat filled carrier models. So yeah US unlocked models are better in every way now for me personally.

I thought so too until I read the Samsung in particular is slow for their unlocked

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
So, the speed of unlocked updates still depends on the carrier somewhat. T-Mobile has gotten terrible about certifying updates for the unlocked models on my Note 10+. I always have to switch to my old inactive Verizon sim to get timely security updates.

Bike Mi Vie

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
So, the speed of unlocked updates still depends on the carrier somewhat. T-Mobile has gotten terrible about certifying updates for the unlocked models on my Note 10+. I always have to switch to my old inactive Verizon sim to get timely security updates.

But that seems that has nothing to do with T-Mobile and more to do with Samsung not certifying the security patch. So if it's unlocked and then flashed to TMobile would you get the update or is it because your using unlocked on T-Mobile without flashing? Maybe it's because Verizon did it faster you are able to pop in your sim and get the update?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
But that seems that has nothing to do with T-Mobile and more to do with Samsung not certifying the security patch. So if it's unlocked and then flashed to TMobile would you get the update or is it because your using unlocked on T-Mobile without flashing? Maybe it's because Verizon did it faster you are able to pop in your sim and get the update?

If you flash you'll get updates from T-Mobile. I'm using unlocked on T-Mobile. Odin doesn't work on Macs. T-Mobile still has to certify the updates even on the unlocked models that don't have TMo firmware.

Bike Mi Vie

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
It seems like I should go for the unlocked and flash to T-Mobile asap.

Before I do I would love the hear any cons and pros.

I think I'm finally coming to a decision.

But what if a TMobile version opens, should I get that and flash to unlocked because I am a minimalist and would love to go as vanilla as possible. Less Bloatware.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21