So I've been trying to secure myself a 512GB.
    At one time unlocked and TMobile was sold out

At first I was going to get a unlocked because just for fun. I don't actually plan on going out of country before I am eligible to actually do it. I wanted the unlocked because I wanted a more 'vanilla' version. That's it really. Now that the issues of bands not being in certain versions or whatever, (if there are any other potential issues lemme know) I also wanted to go unlocked maybe resell as well, (higher resell value? I'm not sure).

But now that I have the chance to get unlocked I started reading how Samsung is slow to update their phones vs carriers. I know I guess could use Odin to flash to T-Mobile but yeah.
    If I get the unlocked could I flash to T-Mobile and then get the update?

Opinions and advice, suggestions wanted
    08-11-2020 01:35 PM
    Those are old times, US unlocked models now get updates before the bloat filled carrier models. So yeah US unlocked models are better in every way now for me personally.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    08-11-2020 01:39 PM
    If you flash to Tmobile firmware you will get carrier updates
    08-11-2020 01:39 PM
    So I've been trying to secure myself a 512GB.
    At one time unlocked and TMobile was sold out

At first I was going to get a unlocked because just for fun. I don't actually plan on going out of country before I am eligible to actually do it. I wanted the unlocked because I wanted a more 'vanilla' version. That's it really. Now that the issues of bands not being in certain versions or whatever, (if there are any other potential issues lemme know) I also wanted to go unlocked maybe resell as well, (higher resell value? I'm not sure).

But now that I have the chance to get unlocked I started reading how Samsung is slow to update their phones vs carriers. I know I guess could use Odin to flash to T-Mobile but yeah.
    If I get the unlocked could I flash to T-Mobile and then get the update?

Opinions and advice, suggestions wanted
    Yes you can flash to Carrier firmware and still get updates
    08-11-2020 01:41 PM
    If you flash to Tmobile firmware you will get carrier updates
    Yes
    Those are old times, US unlocked models now get updates before the bloat filled carrier models. So yeah US unlocked models are better in every way now for me personally.
    I thought so too until I read the Samsung in particular is slow for their unlocked
    Yes you can flash to Carrier firmware and still get updates
    Do I get the stock apps too if I flash it?
    08-11-2020 01:42 PM
    I thought so too until I read the Samsung in particular is slow for their unlocked
    He is partially correct. Security patches have been faster for unlocked recently but slower for firmware updates.
    Do I get the stock apps too if I flash it?
    Definitely
    They are slow, I'm still on June security patch, unlocked N10+.
    08-11-2020 01:43 PM
    They are slow, I'm still on June security patch, unlocked N10+.
    Huh? I'm unlocked N10+ on Aug. When's the last time you checked?
    08-11-2020 01:47 PM
    So, the speed of unlocked updates still depends on the carrier somewhat. T-Mobile has gotten terrible about certifying updates for the unlocked models on my Note 10+. I always have to switch to my old inactive Verizon sim to get timely security updates.
    08-11-2020 01:48 PM
    But Samsung themselves have gotten good at sending timely updates.
    smoothrunnings likes this.
    08-11-2020 01:50 PM
    So, the speed of unlocked updates still depends on the carrier somewhat. T-Mobile has gotten terrible about certifying updates for the unlocked models on my Note 10+. I always have to switch to my old inactive Verizon sim to get timely security updates.
    But that seems that has nothing to do with T-Mobile and more to do with Samsung not certifying the security patch. So if it's unlocked and then flashed to TMobile would you get the update or is it because your using unlocked on T-Mobile without flashing? Maybe it's because Verizon did it faster you are able to pop in your sim and get the update?
    08-11-2020 01:51 PM
    Huh? I'm unlocked N10+ on Aug. When's the last time you checked?
    Everyday. Even tried to take out my TMobile sim like somebody suggested on another thread.
    08-11-2020 01:53 PM
    But that seems that has nothing to do with T-Mobile and more to do with Samsung not certifying the security patch. So if it's unlocked and then flashed to TMobile would you get the update or is it because your using unlocked on T-Mobile without flashing? Maybe it's because Verizon did it faster you are able to pop in your sim and get the update?
    If you flash you'll get updates from T-Mobile. I'm using unlocked on T-Mobile. Odin doesn't work on Macs. T-Mobile still has to certify the updates even on the unlocked models that don't have TMo firmware.
    08-11-2020 01:56 PM
    If I get unlocked then, couldn't I just flash to T-Mobile. How early can I do that?
    08-11-2020 02:01 PM
    If I get unlocked then, couldn't I just flash to T-Mobile. How early can I do that?
    You can do that anytime you want. As soon as the firmware is available to download.
    08-11-2020 02:03 PM
    When you get the device, come here and Ruben and I get you going , we made a sticky for this

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh....php?t=1007656
    08-11-2020 02:08 PM
    It seems like I should go for the unlocked and flash to T-Mobile asap.

Before I do I would love the hear any cons and pros.

I think I'm finally coming to a decision.

But what if a TMobile version opens, should I get that and flash to unlocked because I am a minimalist and would love to go as vanilla as possible. Less Bloatware.
    08-11-2020 02:10 PM

But what if a TMobile version opens, should I get that and flash to unlocked because I am a minimalist and would love to go as vanilla as possible. Less Bloatware.
    Yeah unlocked, if need be flash the carrier version
    08-11-2020 02:13 PM

TBH the TMo version isn't that different from what you'd get from Samsung. A handful of TMo apps is all they add now. Samsung adding Facebook irritates me more than that.
    hasasimo likes this.
    08-11-2020 02:32 PM
    TBH the TMo version isn't that different from what you'd get from Samsung. A handful of TMo apps is all they add now. Samsung adding Facebook irritates me more than that.
    T-Mobile or any carrier boot logo irritates me the most ... I know most carrier bloat could be disabled. But I hate the boot logo and pisses me off sometimes carriers disabled certain features like Samsung find my phone etc (Verizon did that I think).

Anyways I know these are all petty things and my problem, that's why I only get unlocked model irrespective of whatever offers the carriers have. I just got used to that way for all these years. Totally understand most people don't feel this way
    mustang7757 likes this.
    08-11-2020 03:23 PM
    T-Mobile or any carrier boot logo irritates me the most ... I know most carrier bloat could be disabled. But I hate the boot logo and pisses me off sometimes carriers disabled certain features like Samsung find my phone etc (Verizon did that I think).

Anyways I know these are all petty things and my problem, that's why I only get unlocked model irrespective of whatever offers the carriers have. I just got used to that way for all these years. Totally understand most people don't feel this way
    Don't get me wrong, I definitely prefer unlocked as well. I remember the days when I had ATT and they would disable random things like the flashlight (ATT actually did that to my HTC One M8, I mean the flashlight....why??!!??), and add all sorts of random apps I'd never need. I was just mainly saying that TMo is the least offensive about disabling things or adding tons of nonsense like Verizon and ATT sometimes do.
    bhatech and hasasimo like this.
    08-11-2020 06:43 PM