Thinking about switching back to Verizon...

Harlemknight

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
What features does Verizon block on their current Samsung phones? I remember they would block certain features like Samsung cloud for example. Do they still do that? I want to take advantage of the BOGO on the Note 20 Ultra.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually considering leaving Big Red after over 20 years.
Verizon 5G coverage is awful.
If you're getting a 5G phone I would look at T-Mobile's coverage vs. Verizon in your area and the places you frequent.
It will be years if Verizon ever catches up to T-Mo in 5G.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
What features does Verizon block on their current Samsung phones? I remember they would block certain features like Samsung cloud for example. Do they still do that? I want to take advantage of the BOGO on the Note 20 Ultra.

Which carrier you're with now?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon 5G coverage is awful.
If you're getting a 5G phone I would look at T-Mobile's coverage vs. Verizon in your area and the places you frequent.

If your in the NYC area Verizon 5G is excellent coverage . I hear Tmobile 5G is spotty . I just switched to Verizon from T-Mobile

Any flagship phone coming out now will be 5G compatible, but at the same time, there is no functional benefit to the user over 4G LTE. It's just a spec for bragging rights and not something I'd base any decisions on. In general, Verizon is going to have the best overall coverage.

bold1193

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Any flagship phone coming out now will be 5G compatible, but at the same time, there is no functional benefit to the user over 4G LTE. It's just a spec for bragging rights and not something I'd base any decisions on. In general, Verizon is going to have the best overall coverage.

Agreed. We are still in the very early stages of 5G and so it's more marketing than actual usefulness. Hell, even when my city gets it, I live on the outskirts. Who knows when it will extend to us..m

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
If we are speaking of overall coverage Verizon is king. Especially in it's backyard of NYC.
I am an original subscriber to Verizon and stayed loyal because of their unmatched coverage around the country and in my local area.

But 5G is a different animal.
If you are getting a new phone to get the additional speed and benefits of 5G then T-Mobile is king and will be for the foreseeable future.

I see very little personal functional benefit of 5G over LTE right now (and is why will likely sit out this upgrade cycle) but others might. The advantage is speed and time. Some may be able to take advantage of the faster speed and reduced latency.

More importantly going forward T-Mo will be the new Verizon in terms of coverage in 5G.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
If your in the NYC area Verizon 5G is excellent coverage . I hear Tmobile 5G is spotty . I just switched to Verizon from T-Mobile

You must be referring to 4G coverage in NYC.
Unless you live right under a tower and never leave your neighborhood you are likely experiencing 4G.
Verizon 5G doesn't even work inside buildings unless you are almost directly under a tower.
You could never use their 5G network for more than a minute in a moving car or 5 minutes on a bike.

Verizon is very up front on it's coverage maps. They tell you that:
"5G Ultra Wideband is available outdoors near key locations..."

Check your area.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../5g/coverage-map/?city=newyork&token=Ie-9_qVh

Rodney Willis

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I’ll put it like this my friend has the S20 ultra 5G on T-Mobile and it’s spotty in nyc . So I’m not missing anything by me being on Verizon 5G . At least I’m getting good service compared to T-Mobile

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Thinking about switching back to Verizon

You can just buy unlocked version which runs pure Samsung software unlike carrier versions which are at the discretion of useless carriers to do anything they want. If you like Verizon as your carrier, just buy unlocked model and use on Verizon and everything works just fine on Verizon. I never consider carrier models as even an option

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Verizon punches its signal further into the sticks (rural, mountainous areas) than other carriers of note; basing this on practical experience. That alone is the reason I've remained with them, ruefully at times, going on fourteen years.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Thinking about switching back to Verizon

You can just buy unlocked version which runs pure Samsung software unlike carrier versions which are at the discretion of useless carriers to do anything they want. If you like Verizon as your carrier, just buy unlocked model and use on Verizon and everything works just fine on Verizon. I never consider carrier models as even an option
Do you get Wi-Fi calling, though? The one time I tried an unlocked phone, I lost the ability to make a Wi-Fi call. I also had problems being able to log into the My Verizon app with my fingerprint.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Do you get Wi-Fi calling, though? The one time I tried an unlocked phone, I lost the ability to make a Wi-Fi call. I also had problems being able to log into the My Verizon app with my fingerprint.

Those are old days, everything works perfectly with recent unlocked phones on T-Mobile and Verizon. No issues and better option in every way compared to carrier versions (at least to me since I hate the carriers )

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Those are old days, everything works perfectly with recent unlocked phones on T-Mobile and Verizon. No issues and better option in every way compared to carrier versions (at least to me since I hate the carriers )

I guess if you consider less than a year ago to be "the old days." I don't plan to leave Verizon, so I'll stick with the carrier versions and know I have full compatibility. I haven't used Samsung (which is why I asked about Wi-Fi calling on it), but I don't recall LG cutting anything from their phones to make it an issue for me.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I guess if you consider less than a year ago to be "the old days." I don't plan to leave Verizon, so I'll stick with the carrier versions and know I have full compatibility. I haven't used Samsung (which is why I asked about Wi-Fi calling on it), but I don't recall LG cutting anything from their phones to make it an issue for me.

Year is definitely old days for me

There were no issues with S20 Ultra US unlocked models on Verizon and WiFi calling works perfectly.

If you have no issues with carrier firmware then no reason to buy unlocked, I despise the carrier versions so buy only unlocked but I’m the exception to regular case.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Verizon punches its signal further into the sticks (rural, mountainous areas) than other carriers of note; basing this on practical experience. That alone is the reason I've remained with them, ruefully at times, going on fourteen years.

I live in the sticks.
Verizon voice is O.k. in places.
But to use email you'd better have a wifi signal.
Cause Verizon will lock up on you.

What happened to the government helping get the ball rolling on this.

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...9620/establishing-a-5g-fund-for-rural-america

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12