No 5g icon on ATT

Germanguy#AC

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
On T-Mobile I get an ugly 5g icon on my unlocked note 20 ultra. On ATT it only shows LTE plus, although I'm in a 5g area and I have a 5g plan. Anybody else not getting a 5g icon on ATT?

Flytetymex

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
On T-Mobile I get an ugly 5g icon on my unlocked note 20 ultra. On ATT it only shows LTE plus, although I'm in a 5g area and I have a 5g plan. Anybody else not getting a 5g icon on ATT?
That's been my question on multiple threads. Not sure if I am getting 5g or not. Just shows LTE+.

Germanguy#AC

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I think I figured it out. On ATT branded phones, LTE advanced shows up as 5g. On unlocked unbranded phone or just shows LTE. True 5g is only available in a select few markets. What ATT advertises as 5g is mostly LTE advanced

neopolotin75

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a Att branded phone....so far I've seen 4g, 5G and 5Ge. Im in Indianapolis and we are a 5G city so I think the 5Ge is the true 5G where the 5G is the enhanced LTE.

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I have a Att branded phone....so far I've seen 4g, 5G and 5Ge. Im in Indianapolis and we are a 5G city so I think the 5Ge is the true 5G where the 5G is the enhanced LTE.

I currently don't have a 5G plan but it's in a lot of my city. I am getting the 5GE symbol and have on my prior phone. It isn't really 5G, they pushed it out to purport 4G LTE was improved on and sort of trick people into saying oh cool, I have 5G now.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site

most likely you were not connected to 5g at the time. Just because you are in a 5g area does not mean you will always connect to it. It has limited range compared to 4lte.

neopolotin75

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Att slapped 5G on phones last year to make people think it was 5G ie Note10+ non5G version. Either they've swapped that fake 5G to 5Ge and made true 5G 5G or the true 5G is 5Ge. Lol I think the true 5G is the 5Ge. I do have the elite plan and that comes with 5G. Main reason I say the 5Ge is true 5G is because I've only seen it a few times and those times I did I got like 140 down. The 5G or fake 5G pulls 10 to 50 with an occasional 60.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Germanguy#AC

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Att slapped 5G on phones last year to make people think it was 5G ie Note10+ non5G version. Either they've swapped that fake 5G to 5Ge and made true 5G 5G or the true 5G is 5Ge. Lol I think the true 5G is the 5Ge. I do have the elite plan and that comes with 5G. Main reason I say the 5Ge is true 5G is because I've only seen it a few times and those times I did I got like 140 down. The 5G or fake 5G pulls 10 to 50 with an occasional 60.
In Minneapolis we don't have true 5g on ATT yet. On LTE advanced here I have had download speeds up to 227
ec0d01a9d750ac3ba926bf00878edb12.jpg

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Yeah. I am supposed to have 5G coverage in my area, but I don't think it's really covering my neighborhood. I just had a support chat tonight with ATT and I am in between 2 towers, one 4G and one 5G. My phone is currently showing 5Ge in my house. My note10+ was showing 5G all last year. But even on 4G I got only 1 bar in my house and neighborhood, as is still the situation with my 5Ge. So I too think 5Ge is the new branding for 4G/LTE, when I get into Philly, I get a 5G signal and speeds. My only saving grace right now is my WiFi calling.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I wish ATT would stop pulling this misleading crap. They did the same when 4G LTE came out. They said they had 4G when it was just some HSPA+ or something, and it was 4G LTE that was actually LTE, but saying they had 4G first was misleading marketing. Now, they did the same with 5G which is LTE Enhanced, and not actual 5GE. It confuses everyone.

NYC ATT has "5G" which is LTE Enhanced. But that's it. No 5GE and LTE Enhance speeds are abysmal thanks to congestion.

sickoe

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
5Ge is basically the current 4G LTE-Advanced. The first steps into 5G but not really 5G. If your on the lowband 5G the icon will show 5G on your phone. If your on the very scarce mmWave 5G it will show 5G+.

trido#AC

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I had this on my s20 unlocked call att be sure your unlocked phones imei is in att system,as mine wasnt cause it was unlocked once they added it i had 5g on display.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
While ATT has stopped advertising 5Ge (by court settlement) but was not required to stop using it.

There is enough confusion in the market already around 5G

5Ge = LTE advanced (4G service that has enhanced backhaul, and multiple connections to fake additional bandwidth)
5G = Standard 5G
5G+ = Advanced 5G, 5G plus, mmWave (very short range, limited building penetration, very limited roll out so far... but the fastest by far)

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
This is backwards. 5GE is LTE advanced and is not true 5G. Speed are very good though. I am not adding 5G since it's not really relevant yet and will eat battery.

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
While ATT has stopped advertising 5Ge (by court settlement) but was not required to stop using it.

There is enough confusion in the market already around 5G

5Ge = LTE advanced (4G service that has enhanced backhaul, and multiple connections to fake additional bandwidth)
5G = Standard 5G
5G+ = Advanced 5G, 5G plus, mmWave (very short range, limited building penetration, very limited roll out so far... but the fastest by far)

Just to add a little extra here, but anyone on the "old" AT&T Unlimited Plan will only be eligible to receive the 5Ge service. You won't get 5G or 5G+ unless you change your plan to the "new" Unlimited Plan. It might be a worthwhile change for most people, but I have 2 Netgear Nighthawk hotspots on the "old" plan and I can't keep them if I switch to the new unlimited, so I'm sticking with my current plan and will suffer with 5Ge...which will still be way better than anything 4G related.