Why can't I Focus closely on my Note 20 Ultra?

fee dee cat

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
HELP....I'm not tech savvy but I've had note series since 4. The Note 20 ultra is the first one I'm having problems taking pictures up close like a pic on my tablet I want to forward. I've attached an example of the edges blurring and I don't know how to fix..thx

Attachments

• 1975.jpg
    1975.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 28

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I have the note 20 not ultra and close ups are no problem. I see only ultra owners complaining about this. I would call samsung and see what they say.
83a52b5961f0a70834d30f221fd235d8.jpg

Last edited:

fee dee cat

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I will try and do that...backing up. but ive noticed it even in stores trying to take pictures of tags. And I'm the type that doesn't play with the settings at all, so its nothing I've done.

fee dee cat

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Same issue with my Note 20 Ultra I used 1/2 zoom and it was better but still not acceptable.

I haven't changed any preset settings. Maybe I should look into changing zoom. But with my note 10 plus.....screen photos were crystal clear. Something seems wrong.

fee dee cat

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I was talking with tech support through smart tutor and got hung up on......she texted before smart tutor disconnected and said she would call,back....but no go. she could see the pic problem but I think she didn't want to deal with the issue. im disgusted 45 min...and they hang up on me!

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
The larger image sensor combined with the large F/1.8 aperture creates a depth of field that is more shallow than any other cell phone to date. The camera looks and behaves more like an actual camera than traditional cell phone cameras.

When you take an image close up that depth of field becomes even more shallow, anything that isn't within that narrow plane of focus becomes blurred naturally. Taking a photo of something flat like your tablet screen the center point of focus is closer to the image sensor than anything towards the edges which is why they look out of focus.

The regular Note 20 and the S20/S20+ don't use the large image sensor found in the S20U/N20U which allows the depth of field to be greater allowing more to remain in focus when you take a close up image.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The larger image sensor combined with the large F/1.8 aperture creates a depth of field that is more shallow than any other cell phone to date. The camera looks and behaves more like an actual camera than traditional cell phone cameras.

When you take an image close up that depth of field becomes even more shallow, anything that isn't within that narrow plane of focus becomes blurred naturally. Taking a photo of something flat like your tablet screen the center point of focus is closer to the image sensor than anything towards the edges which is why they look out of focus.

The regular Note 20 and the S20/S20+ don't use the large image sensor found in the S20U/N20U which allows the depth of field to be greater allowing more to remain in focus when you take a close up image.
Basically got learn the camera

fee dee cat

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Wow...I've gotta step up my learning curve but the way you explain it makes sense. I'm used to it just being a cellphone camera...but they are so advanced now....so many other factors to consider. Thanks all. I appreciate all the advice of everyone!

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I had the same initial reaction before I realized in most photos it's clear the foreground or background is in focus - that's just different from my prior phone, not faulty or bad. (The natural bokeh is quite attractive in a lot of photos to me, actually.) I do see what you mean about the macro type point and shoot though, the narrow focus explained above. I also tried with my hand and I can see how something like that is frustrating as it kept blurring the outer finger or two vs my other phone.

I've read several comments and posts about this basically say the same thing - the cameras are better, but different to what most of us have grown accustomed to in a cell phone. I am learning how to adjust my point and shoot [lack of] skill to work with it, like learning to rely on the better zoom the N20U offers. (I just used 10x to get clear words on paper further away vs using 1x close up - just new habits needed.)

I figured I'd run with the remote examples, and yes I'll clean the dang thing after seeing it like this. ;)

(Cropped to match looking at the same area knowing these will degrade anyway when uploaded here.)
Attachment 1 N10+ held close
Attachment 2 N20U held close
Attachment 3 N20U pulled back a little (still 1x)
Attachment 4 N20U using the 2x zoom from further away

Attachments

• n10plusremoteclose.jpg
    n10plusremoteclose.jpg
    621.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200831_182021.jpg
    20200831_182021.jpg
    711.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200831_183517.jpg
    20200831_183517.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200831_183602.jpg