Why can't I Focus closely on my Note 20 Ultra?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I had the same initial reaction before I realized in most photos it's clear the foreground or background is in focus - that's just different from my prior phone, not faulty or bad. (The natural bokeh is quite attractive in a lot of photos to me, actually.) I do see what you mean about the macro type point and shoot though, the narrow focus explained above. I also tried with my hand and I can see how something like that is frustrating as it kept blurring the outer finger or two vs my other phone.

I've read several comments and posts about this basically say the same thing - the cameras are better, but different to what most of us have grown accustomed to in a cell phone. I am learning how to adjust my point and shoot [lack of] skill to work with it, like learning to rely on the better zoom the N20U offers. (I just used 10x to get clear words on paper further away vs using 1x close up - just new habits needed.)

I figured I'd run with the remote examples, and yes I'll clean the dang thing after seeing it like this. ;)

(Cropped to match looking at the same area knowing these will degrade anyway when uploaded here.)
Attachment 1 N10+ held close
Attachment 2 N20U held close
Attachment 3 N20U pulled back a little (still 1x)
Attachment 4 N20U using the 2x zoom from further away
The last picture is the best. Deep black, in focus. Yes. This is the best picture followed by the N10+

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
The last picture is the best. Deep black, in focus. Yes. This is the best picture followed by the N10+

Agreed, and for truly lazy quickie point and shoot with defaults in pretty bad lighting it shows me the N20U can produce superior photos if I adjust my habits a little bit.

I find that period after getting new tech is tricky. When I was displeased with a photo, I'd take it with my N10+ and usually find the N10+ was just as bad or worse. I was being extra critical and worrying about any faults in the N20U. To be fair, I've had to exchange a new Samsung phone twice in my life for genuine defects. Never the camera, but it's why I test the heck out of any new phone with a critical eye.

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The larger image sensor combined with the large F/1.8 aperture creates a depth of field that is more shallow than any other cell phone to date. The camera looks and behaves more like an actual camera than traditional cell phone cameras.

When you take an image close up that depth of field becomes even more shallow, anything that isn't within that narrow plane of focus becomes blurred naturally. Taking a photo of something flat like your tablet screen the center point of focus is closer to the image sensor than anything towards the edges which is why they look out of focus.

The regular Note 20 and the S20/S20+ don't use the large image sensor found in the S20U/N20U which allows the depth of field to be greater allowing more to remain in focus when you take a close up image.
So which resolution uses the larger image sensor?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Another thing to remember for anyone coming from the S9/S10/N9/N10 is those phones had an aperture that varied. Note 9 can switch between F/1.5 and F/2.4 which makes a big difference in depth of field on those phones.

I hope Samsung brings back the variable aperture, would help alot for these close up shots.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Lol....but the remotes are showing different captures to make our points. We have to relearn our camera functions. So show us your remote..lol
When in Rome....

93149353429fd1a2f8371f15ba44f819.jpg

fee dee cat

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Another thing to remember for anyone coming from the S9/S10/N9/N10 is those phones had an aperture that varied. Note 9 can switch between F/1.5 and F/2.4 which makes a big difference in depth of field on those phones.

I hope Samsung brings back the variable aperture, would help alot for these close up shots.

So true.

Not everyone uses the camera as a "camera, camera" per se. I don't use it alot as a professional would to take pics. I actually use it to show information to elderly parents who have the Note 4 but refuse to learn anything besides text and calling. Lolll

So taking snapshots of info from my tablet is easiest way to show them news, information,, documents.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't own a N20 ultra but spent time with it at Best Buy and Verizon. I was also disappointed with macro photo sharpness, with poor depth of field. In fact, it was a deal breaker for me. I couldn't believe my N8 took sharper closeups, by far. How could that be? I then tried the telephoto not expecting it to work at close distances, but it did. With a 2:1 zoom, I was able to take a sharp closeup. Yet, I still preferred the more natural N8 closeup, because it didn't have the flattening or compression of the depth of field, seen in the telephoto image.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63