Keyboards... Samsung or GBoard or other?

lindajm22

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
I didn't even know the Samsung keyboard had that handwriting feature. I would use that. But I can't seem to pull away from my Blackberry keyboard long enough! I need Samsung to offer swipe word delete (up to four words at a time) and long press letters for capitals. I just can't seem to give those two things up.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I didn't even know the Samsung keyboard had that handwriting feature. I would use that. But I can't seem to pull away from my Blackberry keyboard long enough! I need Samsung to offer swipe word delete (up to four words at a time) and long press letters for capitals. I just can't seem to give those two things up.
Yeah, it's pretty cool!

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh man, I am LOVING this thread.

Well, I tell people that I chat with on my phone that I have a PhD in Typonese, so I can pretty much get away with anything. :D

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I felt that I was inevitably going to go with Swipe but still setting up my phone little by little since I got it. but reading this thread I took a little time to go through the settings and noticed the handwriting feature and tried is and surprised how accurate it was.

customized the toolbar to put in the shortcuts I wanted... I like Swiftkey because I always modify the keyboard to put the dictaction on the lower left but with the Samsung keyboard I put it to the left of the toolbar so it's still accessible one handed so that's not bad.

Besides the handwritinig feature I see the keyboard has the cursor control like on my iPad where you hold down the space bar and can move the cursor to where ever you want to on the text you are writing. Nice.

I'll hold off on SwiftKey and give this Samsung Keyboard a longer try. It's got the other things like swipe typing and such. As far as customizing I am ok with the few choices but couldn't one download a custom keyboard with a custom theme?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I remember reading from some members here that it was some type of sideload you had to do, was little obstacle to go through.

I think it can be sideloaded. I sorta remember it being available officially if you have a subscription to Services+ as well. It's been a while though, so I could be remembering all wrong. You know my brain doesn't work sometimes.

lindajm22

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
How do you install the Blackberry keyboard? I can't find it in the Playstore.

Download the BlackBerry Manager app here for free: http://cobalt232.github.io/blackberrymanager/

Then open the app and you can download any or all of the apps from in there, including the keyboard. They are regularly updated from within that app.

If you download from the Playstore you have to pay. This way it is free.

lindajm22

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
The BlackBerry keyboard is not anything fancy, but it has some features that I can't find on any other keyboard, and I love the size and position of everything. Swipe to delete words - swipe with one finger, delete one word. Swipe with two fingers, delete two words. Up to four fingers to delete four words. Also, long press on any letter to capitalize that letter. I find that sooo much easier than using the shift key to capitalize. I just can't give these things up!

I also use the BlackBerry Password Keeper, Notes and Tasks. Notable is also a great app.