Keyboards... Samsung or GBoard or other?

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Gboard has been much more accurate than Swiftkey in my experience, particularly for swiping.

I like the themes better in Swiftkey, and keep trying to go to that one, but too innacurate.

SeanD_Colorado

Nov 13, 2019
Visit site
If I already have the Spen out is when I'm most likely to use it on the keyboard.
The Spen makes me sometimes feel like I'm using a Palm Pilot. Remember the crazy shorthand you had to learn if you had one?

I still have a Palm Pilot around somewhere. I am not even sure why I keep it around. Just for laughs and memories maybe? I haven't tried to charge it up in awhile though. I am not sure where the power cord is atm, I should find it for nostalgia sake :)

bold1193

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I still have a Palm Pilot around somewhere. I am not even sure why I keep it around. Just for laughs and memories maybe? I haven't tried to charge it up in awhile though. I am not sure where the power cord is atm, I should find it for nostalgia sake :)

Bike or Die!!!!

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I prefer a physical keyboard but if I use a virtual one then gboard is my choice. Hopefully the new Blackberry is a premium device not the duds they have had in the past.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm guessing no way to replace Samsung voice input on their keyboard with Google voice input??

I'm finding when I want to dictate my texts or typing, the Samsung voice input is not as good as Google or whatever Swiftkey uses. Also it seems to rely on being connected to internet more than when using Swiftkey or maybe just slower connecting to their server for voice.

Other than the Auto-replace being a bit too aggressive when wanting to backspace when it chooses the wrong word for me and not wanting to let me correct with the spelling I want, I am ok with the Samsung Keyboard... but the voice may force me to just go ahead and go back to Swiftkey.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm guessing no way to replace Samsung voice input on their keyboard with Google voice input??

I'm finding when I want to dictate my texts or typing, the Samsung voice input is not as good as Google or whatever Swiftkey uses. Also it seems to rely on being connected to internet more than when using Swiftkey or maybe just slower connecting to their server for voice.

Other than the Auto-replace being a bit too aggressive when wanting to backspace when it chooses the wrong word for me and not wanting to let me correct with the spelling I want, I am ok with the Samsung Keyboard... but the voice may force me to just go ahead and go back to Swiftkey.
You can use Google voice input over samsung, also i made a thread earlier on samsung keyboard got the space bar cursor control, now swiftkey latest update it has it also .

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
You can use Google voice input over samsung, also i made a thread earlier on samsung keyboard got the space bar cursor control, now swiftkey latest update it has it also .

Ahh... General Management > Language and input > Text-to-speech right?

I looked all over and gave up... and then found it after your reply.

But when you set to Google and then go to keyboard > hit the mic to dictate and then the settings button within the mic, it takes you to Samsung Voice input info. So it makes me wonder if it's still using Samsung Voice... it should go to Google voice settings when your hit the settings option under mic in my opinion.

Google text-to-speech keeps offline language file on phone which may help it performs better than Samsung. We'll see if it's really using it, otherwise I'll switch.

Swiftkey also having the space bar cursor control almost makes moving back to Swiftkey inevitable. That auto replace is really agressive and turned it off but I actually like having it on and making the correction and needed and move on. But the Samsung... you backspace and make the correction, it puts their chosen word back in and eventually I get it to take my input after 3-4 tries.
I really wanted to stay with stock apps where ever I could.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ahh... General Management > Language and input > Text-to-speech right?

I looked all over and gave up... and then found it after your reply.

But when you set to Google and then go to keyboard > hit the mic to dictate and then the settings button within the mic, it takes you to Samsung Voice input info. So it makes me wonder if it's still using Samsung Voice... it should go to Google voice settings when your hit the settings option under mic in my opinion.

Google text-to-speech keeps offline language file on phone which may help it performs better than Samsung. We'll see if it's really using it, otherwise I'll switch.

Swiftkey also having the space bar cursor control almost makes moving back to Swiftkey inevitable. That auto replace is really agressive and turned it off but I actually like having it on and making the correction and needed and move on. But the Samsung... you backspace and make the correction, it puts their chosen word back in and eventually I get it to take my input after 3-4 tries.
I really wanted to stay with stock apps where ever I could.
Yeah general management >under mange keyboard, usually be a toggle there for samsung voice but it's disabled through PDP.Screenshot_20200913-143303_Settings.jpeg

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah general management >under mange keyboard, usually be a toggle there for samsung voice but it's disabled through PDP.View attachment 326387

Aaah, there we go... General Management > Language and input > On-screen keyboard and ya have to press the "+" to Manage Keyboards to turn off Samsung voice input and keep Google voice typing on.

Then I get the Google voice settings when I press the gear when I press the mic to enable voice typing then press the settings in there.

Finding these things use to be more intuitive and made sense where they would be... I guess I took the "+" to mean add/remove keyboards and didn't think Voice options would be a "keyboard" option. :confused:

Must be getting older.

I'm that parent now that needs to ask my 18 year old daughter where to find things... espcially on MacOS... and I'm the IT person lol :confused:

Attachments

• 254BE679-6409-499F-9607-06F49F6ACA46.jpg
    254BE679-6409-499F-9607-06F49F6ACA46.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 18

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Aaah, there we go... General Management > Language and input > On-screen keyboard and ya have to press the "+" to Manage Keyboards to turn off Samsung voice input and keep Google voice typing on.

Then I get the Google voice settings when I press the gear when I press the mic to enable voice typing then press the settings in there.

Finding these things use to be more intuitive and made sense where they would be... I guess I took the "+" to mean add/remove keyboards and didn't think Voice options would be a "keyboard" option. :confused:

Must be getting older.

I'm that parent now that needs to ask my 18 year old daughter where to find things... espcially on MacOS... and I'm the IT person lol :confused:
Yeah , I know they hide these settings pretty well lol

ctuna1

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
Microsoft Swiftkey instead of having to manually shift you hold the key a little longer to get to the symbol .
Also the keys are a little bigger than some of the others so it means less mistakes.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Microsoft Swiftkey instead of having to manually shift you hold the key a little longer to get to the symbol .
Also the keys are a little bigger than some of the others so it means less mistakes.
You can do the same in the Samsung keyboard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463