How good is DeX with Microsoft Office? ( Looking to dump apple )

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am currently over in the iPhone camp but I am looking to make a switch and ditch everything apple, this includes my macbook air. My main question is how well does does dex work at replacing a pc for using office apps. I don't do anything wildly crazy with office other than some excel sheets, word documents, and one note. The spread sheets aren't massive or have a lot of different custom formulas, they are use to track data of clients and nothing else.

I am familiar with android, in the past switched between the 2 often. With my latest job I have been exclusively using the iPhone for the last 2-3 years. I miss android and everything about it and want to make a switch back. I was always hesitant due to everyone I communicate with having an iPhone. The accountability of using imessage with delivery and read receipts is really hard to give up. I was reading about read receipts on android recently and totally forgot that you can turn on delivery receipts from the carrier in sms. Now that I can get a receipt saying that the message was delivered, I really don't have to worry about it so much on android. In the united states you are at the mercy of the network when it comes to sms.

I have really been looking at the Note 20 Ultra and I feel that if dex works well with Microsoft office. I have no need to worry about lugging a computer around for work. With Microsoft partnering with Samsung I feel I will get a very similar experience to apple devices working well together.

If anyone has another tips for making a switch to the note from iPhone those would be appreciated. The last Samsung device I had was the Galaxy S8 +. I am sure there has been some changes to the UI and how well they work, the last note I ever used was the note 5. I have experience with Samsung, its just been a while.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Him i have used office with Dex and it works well. I personally prefer a portable wired monitor for dex on my S10+ when using office apps as wireless Dex on my huge TV has text too small for my eyes.

But yes, Dex works well. It is pretty smooth and you can multitasking with it and you can still get texts and notifications on it. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse with mine.

Hope this helps.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I can also say that DeX works really well with MS Office as well as Windows 10. I can work 100% remotely with using just a Samsung device. With my work we also use Citrix which also works well with launching a Virtual Windows machine if I need to use work specific apps that only run on a computer.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
This has me even more excited to make the switch. Looks like all the pieces have fallen into place on having a all in one in my pocket. We have gotomypc for remote connections. I was reading the google play reviews and its pretty positive. I have tried gotomypc on iphone and it literally never connects. Thank you for the replys!!!

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I can also say that DeX works really well with MS Office as well as Windows 10. I can work 100% remotely with using just a Samsung device. With my work we also use Citrix which also works well with launching a Virtual Windows machine if I need to use work specific apps that only run on a computer.

I’m not familiar with Dex although I’ve heard the name but is it like teamviewer?? Or am I thinking of this wrong ? Thanks

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I’m not familiar with Dex although I’ve heard the name but is it like teamviewer?? Or am I thinking of this wrong ? Thanks
DeX is Samsung's way of giving you a desktop like experience (hence the name DeX) when you connect it to an external monitor. From there you can launch your apps in multiple windows and apps that are optimized for DeX, like MS Office, will give you practically the same experience as from a pc.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
DeX is Samsung's way of giving you a desktop like experience (hence the name DeX) when you connect it to an external monitor. From there you can launch your apps in multiple windows and apps that are optimized for DeX, like MS Office, will give you practically the same experience as from a pc.

But with teamviewer you can link your phone to your computer’s monitor and have total control of your computer. That’s not the same thing? Sorry. New at this.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
But with teamviewer you can link your phone to your computer’s monitor and have total control of your computer. That’s not the same thing? Sorry. New at this.
No it's not the same. With DeX all you need is an external monitor. No PC needed. You can use the TeamViewer app in DeX and remote into a PC if you want to.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Np, just think of it as instead of mirroring your actual phone to an external monitor like how other Android devices can, btw you have that option as well, it gives you an actual desktop UI that is a lot more productive than just mirroring your home screen.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
Dex is great. I use it a lot with my Tab S4. Only limitation working with office is that you can only open one document/ excel/ppt at a time. You can't open two and work with them.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
If you have an Office 365 subscription ($6.99/mo personal or $9.99/mo Family), then it's awesome as it unlocks all the features and not just read-only.

If you are a super power user that uses Macro's and tons of scripts/automation, you'll be disappointed. However, for just doing some edits, making a few quick docs or "normal" usage, you'll love it. It'll feel closer to the full office suite than you will find anywhere else other than a Laptop/Desktop.

This is my primary use-case for Dex is MS Office and I have never really had any issues.

I do have some spreadsheets that Dex has issues with, but those are pretty macro/table heavy and honestly, I was just being lazy trying to mess with those on my phone vs. getting out the laptop to edit those. ;)

edit: I misspoke above in bold. DEX does not have an issue with the spreadsheets, it's Office. :p

Last edited:

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
If you have an Office 365 subscription ($6.99/mo personal or $9.99/mo Family), then it's awesome as it unlocks all the features and not just read-only.

If you are a super power user that uses Macro's and tons of scripts/automation, you'll be disappointed. However, for just doing some edits, making a few quick docs or "normal" usage, you'll love it. It'll feel closer to the full office suite than you will find anywhere else other than a Laptop/Desktop.

This is my primary use-case for Dex is MS Office and I have never really had any issues.

I do have some spreadsheets that Dex has issues with, but those are pretty macro/table heavy and honestly, I was just being lazy trying to mess with those on my phone vs. getting out the laptop to edit those. ;)

edit: I misspoke above in bold. DEX does not have an issue with the spreadsheets, it's Office. :p

I have office 365 through work, the most in-depth I go with my spreadsheets is amount of time between 2 dates. Sounds like DeX will work perfectly for what I want. Thank you for the reply!

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
If you are switching to DeX completely, then a NexDock Touch might be a worthy investment.
The previous version without touchscreen got quite good reviews.
I'm hoping to get mine delivered by the end of the month but you might have to wait until the next production run at Xmas or maybe get lucky if they get a cancellation.

NexDock - Turn your Smartphone into a Laptop | NexDock transforms smartphones and Raspberry Pi into a Laptop.

I looked at the nexdock looks pretty cool. I am trying to avoid having to take a whole computer around with me, I already do that with my macbook and I am tired of lugging it around.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I looked at the nexdock looks pretty cool. I am trying to avoid having to take a whole computer around with me, I already do that with my macbook and I am tired of lugging it around.

If you do travel a lot and are in hotels, you really can't determine if their TV's will be compatible with wireless Dex and if you are not wanting to lug around a huge device or anything, get something like this:

Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter

Either this device or something compatible.

I have this and when I am in a hotel, I just need to pop this into an HDMI port, and if the TV does not have a USB port for power, just use any wall wart that you use to charge, well, anything USB and bam, you can wirelessly Dex to pretty much ANY TV.

It's small and easy to carry around.

Edit: Here is what my setup looks like for when I travel:

Phone: Note 20 Ultra (duh?)
Power: Stock Power Brick that is included (when not using the hub) / Wireless charger (when using the hub, just make sure it charges when in "landscape" mode)
Wireless Dex Accessory for TV's: Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter (link above)
4 Port USB-C Hub: https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Adapt...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6859032
Wireless Media KB/Trackpad: https://www.amazon.com/Rii-K22-Mult...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6859032
Accessory Pouch (to keep it all together): https://www.amazon.com/ERCRYSTO-Ele...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6859032

It may sound like a lot to take with you and just may as well use a laptop, but the KB/Mouse is really optional most of the time, I just have it just in case I have a lot of typing to do. It also works with the phone itself in case you have something you want to work on with just the phone (say, like you are on a plane).

Also, this is really nice for just watching Netflix from the phone and not having to make space for a laptop to sit near the TV and all that. When travelling, I do bring my laptop, but I rarely ever use it when I can just do things from my phone. With my Note 10+, I used a USB-C dock rather than just the hub since I was not wireless DeX, but little modification was needed for me as I already had the Wireless Display Adapter for other things.

Last edited:

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
If you do travel a lot and are in hotels, you really can't determine if their TV's will be compatible with wireless Dex and if you are not wanting to lug around a huge device or anything, get something like this:

Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter

Either this device or something compatible.

I have this and when I am in a hotel, I just need to pop this into an HDMI port, and if the TV does not have a USB port for power, just use any wall wart that you use to charge, well, anything USB and bam, you can wirelessly Dex to pretty much ANY TV.

It's small and easy to carry around.

Edit: Here is what my setup looks like for when I travel:

Phone: Note 20 Ultra (duh?)
Power: Stock Power Brick that is included (when not using the hub) / Wireless charger (when using the hub, just make sure it charges when in "landscape" mode)
Wireless Dex Accessory for TV's: Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter (link above)
4 Port USB-C Hub: https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Adapt...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6859538
Wireless Media KB/Trackpad: https://www.amazon.com/Rii-K22-Mult...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6859538
Accessory Pouch (to keep it all together): https://www.amazon.com/ERCRYSTO-Ele...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6859538

It may sound like a lot to take with you and just may as well use a laptop, but the KB/Mouse is really optional most of the time, I just have it just in case I have a lot of typing to do. It also works with the phone itself in case you have something you want to work on with just the phone (say, like you are on a plane).

Also, this is really nice for just watching Netflix from the phone and not having to make space for a laptop to sit near the TV and all that. When travelling, I do bring my laptop, but I rarely ever use it when I can just do things from my phone. With my Note 10+, I used a USB-C dock rather than just the hub since I was not wireless DeX, but little modification was needed for me as I already had the Wireless Display Adapter for other things.
The link to the Microsoft adapter isn't working with the android central app. Can you post it again as just a link please?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz