"First you have to unlock your device" message using Buds Live?

jadenerd

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
When using Buds Live and Google Assistant and trying to make a phone call, I receive the message in the subject heading. This doesn't happen with other bt earbuds. Any thoughts?

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
re: "First you have to unlock your device" message using Buds Live?

When using Buds Live and Google Assistant and trying to make a phone call, I receive the message in the subject heading. This doesn't happen with other bt earbuds. Any thoughts?
You have to open the Google app,go to settings, the scroll down to voice and select the option called " allow Bluetooth requests with device locked" and it should start working as it should
6ea1970e93ae06e7a026d771a873c0ac.jpg

jadenerd

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

I do have that setting enabled and although I thought it was working with other blue tooth earbuds, I just tried with my Jabra's and I get "here's things you can do when your phone is offline". However, it may have something to do with the sview cover, because when I opened the cover, the call was immediately placed.

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

I do have that setting enabled and although I thought it was working with other blue tooth earbuds, I just tried with my Jabra's and I get "here's things you can do when your phone is offline". However, it may have something to do with the sview cover, because when I opened the cover, the call was immediately placed.
It might have something to do with the proximity sensor and google assistant not recognizing it

jadenerd

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

That's an interesting thought. This never happened with the Note 10+ that was also in a sview cover.

It might have something to do with the proximity sensor and google assistant not recognizing it

jadenerd

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

I called Samsung and was told I have to unlock the phone first. I think it's ridiculous that I have to take my phone out of my purse to use "hands free" calling.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Are the buds live a trusted device to stay unlocked?

jadenerd

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Are the buds live a trusted device to stay unlocked?

Yes they are.

I've reset all of the Google setting, cleared the data and cache. Now I get as far as "calling xxxx" but it stalls until I open the sview cover at which time the call is placed. I don't know if this is an issue with Google Asst., the buds, the sview cover, or the phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Yes they are.

I've reset all of the Google setting, cleared the data and cache. Now I get as far as "calling xxxx" but it stalls until I open the sview cover at which time the call is placed. I don't know if this is an issue with Google Asst., the buds, the sview cover, or the phone.
Is there settings for the S view cover ?

jadenerd

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Check these setting here , it's for s20 but should be similar to the note 20. I highlighted the screen shot

https://gadgetguideonline.com/s20/how-to-use-galaxy-s20-clear-view-cover-s-view-cover/View attachment 326570

Thank you for this resource. I have everything set up as per the article. I've tried with "lock instantly with side key" enabled/disabled. The strange thing is that with the Buds Live configured as a trusted device, the phone should remain unlocked while the buds are being worn and you would think that I shouldn't have to interact with the phone in any way to place a call.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Thank you for this resource. I have everything set up as per the article. I've tried with "lock instantly with side key" enabled/disabled. The strange thing is that with the Buds Live configured as a trusted device, the phone should remain unlocked while the buds are being worn and you would think that I shouldn't have to interact with the phone in any way to place a call.
Your welcome ! Yeah unfortunately if you have the live buds to unlock it can only do one trusted bluetooth at a time :(

jadenerd

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Your welcome ! Yeah unfortunately if you have the live buds to unlock it can only do one trusted bluetooth at a time :(

But the buds are the only bluetooth connected. Am I missing something?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

But the buds are the only bluetooth connected. Am I missing something?
You can only have one bluetooth device to use smart unlock by a bluetooth device, so if your using live buds then you have to switch to other bluetooth buds to use for unlock both can't

jadenerd

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

You can only have one bluetooth device to use smart unlock by a bluetooth device, so if your using live buds then you have to switch to other bluetooth buds to use for unlock both can't

Gotcha. I'm only using the Buds Live. I haven't used the Jabras since the Note 10.

SeanD_Colorado

Nov 13, 2019
Visit site

It sounds as though the Lock function of the S-View case perhaps has a higher priority than the Smart Unlock Function of the Galaxy Buds Live to the point where it is not functioning until the cover is opened?

jadenerd

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

It sounds as though the Lock function of the S-View case perhaps has a higher priority than the Smart Unlock Function of the Galaxy Buds Live to the point where it is not functioning until the cover is opened?

That's what it seems like, though, after experimenting with a couple other bt earbuds/headphones, it's just not the Buds Live but any bt headset.

SeanD_Colorado

Nov 13, 2019
Visit site

That's what it seems like, though, after experimenting with a couple other bt earbuds/headphones, it's just not the Buds Live but any bt headset.
I would not be surprised if it was any Smart Unlock device or location that was being over ridden by the case.

I has been thinking of ordering that case myself, but after reading your comments, I am guessing that my car head unit, which I also have set up as a Smart Unlock device so that the phone doesn't lock while in the car, would also cease to function with the case closed.

jadenerd

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

I would not be surprised if it was any Smart Unlock device or location that was being over ridden by the case.

I has been thinking of ordering that case myself, but after reading your comments, I am guessing that my car head unit, which I also have set up as a Smart Unlock device so that the phone doesn't lock while in the car, would also cease to function with the case closed.

I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know.