T-Mobile users make sure you're using a 5G SIM card.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Huh
d6c77f0e9f565c11976610dd1a06e8bf.gif
I'm Batman

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Guess I'll stop by a T-Mobile store tomorrow. Been using the same sim card well over 4 years now [Since the Note 7]. Wondering if there will be a difference.

Last edited:

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I was all for 5G till reality set in that for the most part it's solving a non-existing problem if you're in an area with LTE.

It may be some time before it becomes a factor for me, Mike. Possibly when travel becomes more like the routine it was I'll get to those cities where 5G is gaining traction.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Just saw on twitter that if you have a 5G device on T-Mobile and you are using your old 4G SIM card you need to get a new pink "R15" SIM card. My N20U is unlocked from Samsung so I didn't get this new SIM card but I am requesting one from T-Mobile online nowm. I'm wondering if this is why my T-Mobile 5G speeds have been slower than my 4G speeds?

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/de...cmpid=MGPO_SS_C_SVCMSG_LUED3SQVQJ1JN1U7P58686

Thanks for this. I just contacted T-Mobile and got a new SIM card. I had no issues ordering it, though I believe I live in an area (Houston) that is already transitioning to SA 5G.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I just got my Note 20U and the lady at tmobile put in my old sim card from the 9 and my screen shows 5G. I had read this thread before I left but I wanted to see what would happen. I haven't had a chance to look around my phone yet, so I'm not sure if there was an update or what my settings are (although one update is pending).

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I just got my Note 20U and the lady at tmobile put in my old sim card from the 9 and my screen shows 5G. I had read this thread before I left but I wanted to see what would happen. I haven't had a chance to look around my phone yet, so I'm not sure if there was an update or what my settings are (although one update is pending).

If you read about it, it will do 5G -- but falls back to LTE for voice calls. You need a new SIM card to be fully 5G, where both voice and data is 5G. Depending on where you live, it may not make a difference at this point, as most T-Mobile 5G still uses LTE for voice. I suspect to get on the, what used to be Sprint, 2600 band 5G (though I could be mistaken) you need to have the newer SIM card.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
They can push an update to your sim to enable this. T-mobile did it for 2 out of the 3 lines I have. Unless you have a really old sim you don't need a new sim

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Just saw on twitter that if you have a 5G device on T-Mobile and you are using your old 4G SIM card you need to get a new pink "R15" SIM card. My N20U is unlocked from Samsung so I didn't get this new SIM card but I am requesting one from T-Mobile online nowm. I'm wondering if this is why my T-Mobile 5G speeds have been slower than my 4G speeds?

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/de...cmpid=MGPO_SS_C_SVCMSG_LUED3SQVQJ1JN1U7P58686

T-Mobile said the sims card had nothing to do with 5G

johnsamuels

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Here in Italy, with Vodafone, you need to update to a SIM with larger memory capacity apparently to store more complex 5G config information.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
5G seems like a dog and pony show.

If get the bugs out definitely helps me. If I switch to LTE I have 1 bar and maybe 10/MB down at my house if I switch to 5G get 4 bars and 150+ down so huge difference. Means I can get rid of my Cellfi as well

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 6, 2013
Visit site
I just asked T-Mobile and they told me this...

T-Mobile Twitter: Thank you so much for filling that out, and for your patience as I did a bit of digging on this! The Note20 Ultra 5G doesn't have access to our stand alone 5G network at this point in time, so there is no need for a new SIM card at this point in time :) If anything changes with that, you would be notified by a text that you'd want that new SIM to get the best 5G connection :)

Me: So wait the Note 20 Ultra 5G doesn't have 5G on T-Mobiles Network?

T-Mobile Twitter: Oh man! I'm so sorry for the confusion, Alex, it definitely does have 5G! Phew, sorry for the scare that I just gave you there haha - let me explain what that meant by the stand alone 5G network.

As we roll out 5G, we have a few different components. The first, which makes up our nationwide 5G footprint, is what's called "Non-standalone 5G". This relies on mid-band LTE coverage in order to access 5G, and is what your phone (and most 5G devices) has access to, as well as the most widespread 5G signal we have available.

Recently, we have begun rolling out stand alone 5G as well, which does not require LTE signal in order to receive 5G. With SA, the device connects to the 5G radio and core network. This type of 5G connection does require a new SIM, but isn't available nationwide yet, and is not accessible on all 5G devices. I hope that helps to clear up some of that confusion!

Clear as mud lol ... :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad