T-Mobile users make sure you're using a 5G SIM card.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
What or how does tmobile show this additional charge for 5G on their bill? What do they label it as? I want to make sure I see it on my next bill.
When I requested my R15 sim card, they couldn't put it on my T-Mobile bill. Instead, I had to give them my credit card number, which they charged directly. But they applied a credit to my T-Mobile bill to offset the credit card charge.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
It's not so much as getting more cash from existing customers as it is convincing people to switch carriers by claiming they have the best coverage.

That's true to some degree, but I believe both at&t and verizon are charging more for 5g plans. And future rate increases for everyone will be blamed on the shiny new "5g" service that will supposedly make everyone's phones magically better.... even if it hurts people in area's where 5g won't be available for years, but their new 5g phones will be trying to force 5g, and in the end giving them worse reception than they have now because the phones aren't properly falling back to the slower data speeds when people need them to for low cell signal areas... which is already happening. Not to mention the folks that will be forced into upgrading to unlimited data plans because 5g is destroying their data limits on their 4g plans. And I can't imagine the throttling that will be going on.... the system won't be nearly able to handle the data demands, it can't handle the current demands. And it'll take them a good portion of some of our lifetimes to upgrade the nation wide infrastructure to properly support 5g....if they ever truly do.

I'm not against 5g per say, just the way it's being rolled out as you mentioned. Although I am concerned about the very short mm signal which will require signal saturation to work well. Which means for better or worse wherever you get good 5g you'll also be getting physically saturated with mm waves for potentially the rest of your life. And that type of exposure has proven to cause cancer in lab animals in the shorter term. I'm sure the studies used much higher doses, but the connection is there as much as we don't want to think about it... and as much as we want to believe the carriers when they say it's safe. But do you really believe them? When huge potential long term profits are on the line who can you really trust?

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
When I was at Best Buy getting my new note 20 Ultra 5G phones.
They said Verizon wasn't charging more for 5 G services.

I understand what you are saying.

We went threw this with 4G didn't we..

If you don't want the capability..
Don't but a 5G phone.
Then try to sell it.

miamiborn79

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Decided to change out my Sim card to the R15 that came in my box from Tmobile and did the switch online through T-mobile website, but now my speeds are extra slow! Like 5mb download and 1mb upload slow. I switched to 4G/LTE and got similar speeds. I'm starting to regret the change. Not sure why the speeds are so slow now. Any suggestions?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Decided to change out my Sim card to the R15 that came in my box from Tmobile and did the switch online through T-mobile website, but now my speeds are extra slow! Like 5mb download and 1mb upload slow. I switched to 4G/LTE and got similar speeds. I'm starting to regret the change. Not sure why the speeds are so slow now. Any suggestions?
I believe Gary02468 mentioned had to talk to tech support to fix his issue like your experiencing.

miamiborn79

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I'll give it a shot, but I think our issues are different. He said he wasn't getting 5G and that it was showing 3G. I'm showing 5G and 4G/LTE respectively, but the speeds are just atrocious.
I believe Gary02468 mentioned had to talk to tech support to fix his issue like your experiencing.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'll give it a shot, but I think our issues are different. He said he wasn't getting 5G and that it was showing 3G. I'm showing 5G and 4G/LTE respectively, but the speeds are just atrocious.
Mine should be coming in Monday or Tuesday so I see but yeah definitely contact their support and update us .

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Ha, I just noticed that the 2nd R15 sim card that's on its way is actually an old 2015 sim card, just like the first time they tried to send me an R15. It doesn't really matter this time since I don't seem to need the 2nd sim, but it's amusing how hard it's been for them to get this right.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
When I was at Best Buy getting my new note 20 Ultra 5G phones.
They said Verizon wasn't charging more for 5 G services.

I understand what you are saying.

We went threw this with 4G didn't we..

If you don't want the capability..
Don't but a 5G phone.
Then try to sell it.
Best buy doesn't know what they are talking about. Verizon is charging 10 dollars more with my current unlimited plan. The only way for me not to pay an additional fee is to change to a plan that includes it which means I'm still paying extra.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Best buy doesn't know what they are talking about. Verizon is charging 10 dollars more with my current unlimited plan. The only way for me not to pay an additional fee is to change to a plan that includes it which means I'm still paying extra.

They setup both my Note 20 Ultra 5G and the wifes.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I have a unlimited talk, text , Data plan for both the wife & me.

90.00 a month for the both og us.

I'm 4 counties from where I even know 5G is with Verizon even is.

I didn't want to buy a phone that wasn't 5G and try to do anything with it in the future.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a unlimited talk, text , Data plan for both the wife & me.

90.00 a month for the both og us.

I'm 4 counties from where I even know 5G is with Verizon even is.

I didn't want to buy a phone that wasn't 5G and try to do anything with it in the future.
We appreciate the information but we have veered off topic since this thread topic is about Tmobile's 5G SIM card.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I received my sim cards today. I have them activated and in my phones. We shall see if there are any differences but I really doubt it. I really wasn't having any issues tho before I swapped out the sims. I just did it because... I may be able to tell if it put the r15 sim in my OP8 phone instead of my unlocked note 20u, but ill let it ride in this phone for a day or 2 just the same.

Mandarita

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
I think it's being proactive. If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready. The process has taken multiple phone calls and even store visits for some of us. The SA functionality is coming and it would stink to not have it when the update stops in the future.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
The note 20 Ultra doesn't even support TMobile's SA 5G yet
I haven't been able to find any definitive information about that. T-Mobile is mishandling the rollout, with many of its reps saying confused or contradictory things. The most knowledgeable rep I've spoken too so far was unsure whether SA was supported yet for the N20U. And there's apparently no visible indicator of SA mode on the phones, even when SA is active. So I don't know a good way to tell.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance