Tempered glass screen protector suggestions for the Note 20 Ultra?

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
I received my note 20 Ultra at the tail end of August and have yet to even activated or open it up. I've been very lukewarm on it but I upgraded from my Note 8. I was going to look at the iPhone 12 for the first time in my life. But they're stripping features and raising prices you're there are things I I'm not happy with Samsung for including their customer service which sucks oh, but my question I have for all of you is this I'm... I've always used tempered glass screen protectors for the past four plus years. What is the best screen protector that is tempered glass protector? Also that won't cost me a lot of money. I've seen a lot of these screen protectors were they put some type of liquid on before the glass goes on but my concern with that is that it will never come off the original screen. Currently on my Note 8 I have one from am film rice stuck on the screen protector and it's worked. I've never really used the fingerprint scanner but I'm thinking of it

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I received my note 20 Ultra at the tail end of August and have yet to even activated or open it up. I've been very lukewarm on it but I upgraded from my Note 8. I was going to look at the iPhone 12 for the first time in my life. But they're stripping features and raising prices you're there are things I I'm not happy with Samsung for including their customer service which sucks oh, but my question I have for all of you is this I'm... I've always used tempered glass screen protectors for the past four plus years. What is the best screen protector that is tempered glass protector? Also that won't cost me a lot of money. I've seen a lot of these screen protectors were they put some type of liquid on before the glass goes on but my concern with that is that it will never come off the original screen. Currently on my Note 8 I have one from am film rice stuck on the screen protector and it's worked. I've never really used the fingerprint scanner but I'm thinking of it

Whitestone Dome is the best one you can use if you like the glass type and assurance that it will work with the fingerprint sensor

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! As Kizzy said, we have a lot of threads about screen protectors and how screen protectors work - or don't work - with in-display fingerprint sensors. I'm currently using a Skinomi film protector on my S10. It was a wet install protector but I've been using it for about six weeks and am enjoying it so far.

Let us know what product you end up using, and how you are liking it!

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I have a film protector on mine and have dropped several times and so far so good. I would rather spend the money on insurance personally.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a film protector on mine and have dropped several times and so far so good. I would rather spend the money on insurance personally.
If it didn't break with the plastic film it wouldn't break without it either. Plastic film is basically scratch protection. Using Tempered doesn't guarantee it won't break, but the extra layer does offer some protection against cracking the display.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
If it didn't break with the plastic film it wouldn't break without it either. Plastic film is basically scratch protection. Using Tempered doesn't guarantee it won't break, but the extra layer does offer some protection against cracking the display.
Not totally true auto windshields have a thin piece of plastic between two layers of glass do when it breaks the glass doesn't fly all over the place. 43 years ago I went to a PPG glass seminar and they pointed to that thin piece of plastic being able to protect from cracks and over the years it has been improved. Windshields today have a thin gel plastic between two pieces of plastic. Now for the most part you are correct just not 100%.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Not totally true auto windshields have a thin piece of plastic between two layers of glass do when it breaks the glass doesn't fly all over the place. 43 years ago I went to a PPG glass seminar and they pointed to that thin piece of plastic being able to protect from cracks and over the years it has been improved. Windshields today have a thin gel plastic between two pieces of plastic. Now for the most part you are correct just not 100%.
Auto windshield safety glass design has nothing to do with what I stated. The thin layer you are referring to is what makes it safety glass, but making a glass sandwich is not the same as adding a layer of plastic on top of glass. I'm simply saying adding a plastic film on top of glass does next to nothing to keep a display from drops except scratch protection. Quite honestly a layer of tempered glass doesn't do much either but it is definitely better than plastic film.

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
Even though it uses glue it does come off easily enough. But it is very expensive. There is a long thread about screen protectors in the main Note 20 thread. Have a look at that.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=1010551

I do appreciate that. I tried looking through it but it seems like I was going through a maze. Comments would be go here go here go here. I was like no I don't want to sit there and spend all night going through a maze of searches. What I'm really looking 4 is a reliable tempered glass screen protector that's not expensive. Like I said I have the am film on my Note 8 and I like that if they had something like that I'd buy that in a heartbeat

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I do appreciate that. I tried looking through it but it seems like I was going through a maze. Comments would be go here go here go here. I was like no I don't want to sit there and spend all night going through a maze of searches. What I'm really looking 4 is a reliable tempered glass screen protector that's not expensive. Like I said I have the am film on my Note 8 and I like that if they had something like that I'd buy that in a heartbeat

If you liked the amFilm piece then why not get the one for the N20U?? I mean relative to the WhiteStone, it is the cheaper option.

https://www.amazon.com/amFilm-Appli...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6861968

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
If you're looking for a tempered glass protector that doesn't use a liquid adhesive, I think your choices are very limited and I would stay far away from anything that only has adhesive on the edges. Your fingerprint sensor will not work and dust will always make its way under the protector.

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
If you're looking for a tempered glass protector that doesn't use a liquid adhesive, I think your choices are very limited and I would stay far away from anything that only has adhesive on the edges. Your fingerprint sensor will not work and dust will always make its way under the protector.

The dust and dirt is something I'm concerned with. I've never really used to fingerprint thing before but it's something I'm thinking about. My worry is that if I put this glue on it's going to get into the ports or it don't crack the main screen and that will void any warranty I have

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The dust and dirt is something I'm concerned with. I've never really used to fingerprint thing before but it's something I'm thinking about. My worry is that if I put this glue on it's going to get into the ports or it don't crack the main screen and that will void any warranty I have

The latest iteration of the Whitestone Dome includes stickers to cover all edges, including the buttons and ports, so that the glue won't be able to get into those areas - so that isn't much of a concern with WSD. BUT, it is a patient and involved process that many folks do not like and I admit that even though I've put so many on, every new installation brings some anxiety mainly because you just don't want to screw it up because it's not cheap. Definitely look at the installation videos they have on YT to see if it's even something you want to partake in. There are additional things to consider - like for example, using a tempered glass protector may limit your choices for a case (if you use one) as some may ruin the glass.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The latest iteration of the Whitestone Dome includes stickers to cover all edges, including the buttons and ports, so that the glue won't be able to get into those areas - so that isn't much of a concern with WSD. BUT, it is a patient and involved process that many folks do not like and I admit that even though I've put so many on, every new installation brings some anxiety mainly because you just don't want to screw it up because it's not cheap. Definitely look at the installation videos they have on YT to see if it's even something you want to partake in. There are additional things to consider - like for example, using a tempered glass protector may limit your choices for a case (if you use one) as some may ruin the glass.
This.

It's not cheap but if you watch 2-3 YouTube install videos your confidence may increase a lot and you'll probably be just fine with the process. The results are worth it IMO.
I've done 6 installs and was definitely leary the first couple of times. Now I just focus on getting them as perfect as possible.

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site

See I have watched YouTube videos but I figured I'd come to you guys who are more of the experts since you deal primarily with Android's like I do. I'm no expert on screen protectors but you all seem more knowledgeable. I've watched YouTube videos where I've seen the glue go out and they put the glass on and everything. And then I see them pulling off the side and I didn't know if that was the glue that went on the side and they're just peeling off the side of it. It wasn't really descriptive on that. I really like the end result of what it looks like but my question is is after you cure it can you pull off the screen protector without it cracking the original screen? Does it work well with a case because I always use a case. I'm also thinking of using the fingerprint scanner because when I put my work email in it requires me to have a password and I'm getting sick and tired of having a type of numbers all the time. I'd rather just click fingerprint

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
See I have watched YouTube videos but I figured I'd come to you guys who are more of the experts since you deal primarily with Android's like I do. I'm no expert on screen protectors but you all seem more knowledgeable. I've watched YouTube videos where I've seen the glue go out and they put the glass on and everything. And then I see them pulling off the side and I didn't know if that was the glue that went on the side and they're just peeling off the side of it. It wasn't really descriptive on that. I really like the end result of what it looks like but my question is is after you cure it can you pull off the screen protector without it cracking the original screen? Does it work well with a case because I always use a case. I'm also thinking of using the fingerprint scanner because when I put my work email in it requires me to have a password and I'm getting sick and tired of having a type of numbers all the time. I'd rather just click fingerprint
Yes, yes you can pull it off without any damage to the screen whatsoever. The glue cures into a gummy gel type substance not a crispy hard rock type substance. In my experience, I've been able to remove the glass without any trace on the screen with little to no effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs