09-21-2020 11:00 PM
32 12
tools
    I received my note 20 Ultra at the tail end of August and have yet to even activated or open it up. I've been very lukewarm on it but I upgraded from my Note 8. I was going to look at the iPhone 12 for the first time in my life. But they're stripping features and raising prices you're there are things I I'm not happy with Samsung for including their customer service which sucks oh, but my question I have for all of you is this I'm... I've always used tempered glass screen protectors for the past four plus years. What is the best screen protector that is tempered glass protector? Also that won't cost me a lot of money. I've seen a lot of these screen protectors were they put some type of liquid on before the glass goes on but my concern with that is that it will never come off the original screen. Currently on my Note 8 I have one from am film rice stuck on the screen protector and it's worked. I've never really used the fingerprint scanner but I'm thinking of it
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-19-2020 03:11 PM
    I received my note 20 Ultra at the tail end of August and have yet to even activated or open it up. I've been very lukewarm on it but I upgraded from my Note 8. I was going to look at the iPhone 12 for the first time in my life. But they're stripping features and raising prices you're there are things I I'm not happy with Samsung for including their customer service which sucks oh, but my question I have for all of you is this I'm... I've always used tempered glass screen protectors for the past four plus years. What is the best screen protector that is tempered glass protector? Also that won't cost me a lot of money. I've seen a lot of these screen protectors were they put some type of liquid on before the glass goes on but my concern with that is that it will never come off the original screen. Currently on my Note 8 I have one from am film rice stuck on the screen protector and it's worked. I've never really used the fingerprint scanner but I'm thinking of it
    Whitestone Dome is the best one you can use if you like the glass type and assurance that it will work with the fingerprint sensor
    09-19-2020 03:31 PM
    Even though it uses glue it does come off easily enough. But it is very expensive. There is a long thread about screen protectors in the main Note 20 thread. Have a look at that.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh....php?t=1010551
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-19-2020 03:47 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! As Kizzy said, we have a lot of threads about screen protectors and how screen protectors work - or don't work - with in-display fingerprint sensors. I'm currently using a Skinomi film protector on my S10. It was a wet install protector but I've been using it for about six weeks and am enjoying it so far.

Let us know what product you end up using, and how you are liking it!
    09-19-2020 04:01 PM
    I have a film protector on mine and have dropped several times and so far so good. I would rather spend the money on insurance personally.
    09-19-2020 04:18 PM
    I have a film protector on mine and have dropped several times and so far so good. I would rather spend the money on insurance personally.
    If it didn't break with the plastic film it wouldn't break without it either. Plastic film is basically scratch protection. Using Tempered doesn't guarantee it won't break, but the extra layer does offer some protection against cracking the display.
    09-19-2020 05:06 PM
    If it didn't break with the plastic film it wouldn't break without it either. Plastic film is basically scratch protection. Using Tempered doesn't guarantee it won't break, but the extra layer does offer some protection against cracking the display.
    Not totally true auto windshields have a thin piece of plastic between two layers of glass do when it breaks the glass doesn't fly all over the place. 43 years ago I went to a PPG glass seminar and they pointed to that thin piece of plastic being able to protect from cracks and over the years it has been improved. Windshields today have a thin gel plastic between two pieces of plastic. Now for the most part you are correct just not 100%.
    09-19-2020 05:25 PM
    Not totally true auto windshields have a thin piece of plastic between two layers of glass do when it breaks the glass doesn't fly all over the place. 43 years ago I went to a PPG glass seminar and they pointed to that thin piece of plastic being able to protect from cracks and over the years it has been improved. Windshields today have a thin gel plastic between two pieces of plastic. Now for the most part you are correct just not 100%.
    Auto windshield safety glass design has nothing to do with what I stated. The thin layer you are referring to is what makes it safety glass, but making a glass sandwich is not the same as adding a layer of plastic on top of glass. I'm simply saying adding a plastic film on top of glass does next to nothing to keep a display from drops except scratch protection. Quite honestly a layer of tempered glass doesn't do much either but it is definitely better than plastic film.
    09-19-2020 05:47 PM
    Even though it uses glue it does come off easily enough. But it is very expensive. There is a long thread about screen protectors in the main Note 20 thread. Have a look at that.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh....php?t=1010551
    I do appreciate that. I tried looking through it but it seems like I was going through a maze. Comments would be go here go here go here. I was like no I don't want to sit there and spend all night going through a maze of searches. What I'm really looking 4 is a reliable tempered glass screen protector that's not expensive. Like I said I have the am film on my Note 8 and I like that if they had something like that I'd buy that in a heartbeat
    Ranjen617 likes this.
    09-19-2020 07:41 PM
    I do appreciate that. I tried looking through it but it seems like I was going through a maze. Comments would be go here go here go here. I was like no I don't want to sit there and spend all night going through a maze of searches. What I'm really looking 4 is a reliable tempered glass screen protector that's not expensive. Like I said I have the am film on my Note 8 and I like that if they had something like that I'd buy that in a heartbeat
    If you liked the amFilm piece then why not get the one for the N20U?? I mean relative to the WhiteStone, it is the cheaper option.

https://www.amazon.com/amFilm-Applic...cUvbUpU6861968
    09-19-2020 09:05 PM
    I saw this in a YouTube video and seemed to work well in the video

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Shie...cUvbUpU6861969
    09-19-2020 09:07 PM
    If you liked the amFilm piece then why not get the one for the N20U?? I mean relative to the WhiteStone, it is the cheaper option.

https://www.amazon.com/amFilm-Applic...cUvbUpU6861976
    I'm not sure about the whole glue thing. I'm worried about it being permanently attached to the screen and causing damage to the screen. Or me causing damage to the input
    09-19-2020 09:27 PM
    I saw this in a YouTube video and seemed to work well in the video

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Shie...cUvbUpU6861979
    It says it's currently out of stock
    09-19-2020 09:27 PM
    If you're looking for a tempered glass protector that doesn't use a liquid adhesive, I think your choices are very limited and I would stay far away from anything that only has adhesive on the edges. Your fingerprint sensor will not work and dust will always make its way under the protector.
    tadpoles likes this.
    09-19-2020 10:47 PM
    If you're looking for a tempered glass protector that doesn't use a liquid adhesive, I think your choices are very limited and I would stay far away from anything that only has adhesive on the edges. Your fingerprint sensor will not work and dust will always make its way under the protector.
    The dust and dirt is something I'm concerned with. I've never really used to fingerprint thing before but it's something I'm thinking about. My worry is that if I put this glue on it's going to get into the ports or it don't crack the main screen and that will void any warranty I have
    09-19-2020 11:01 PM
    The dust and dirt is something I'm concerned with. I've never really used to fingerprint thing before but it's something I'm thinking about. My worry is that if I put this glue on it's going to get into the ports or it don't crack the main screen and that will void any warranty I have
    The latest iteration of the Whitestone Dome includes stickers to cover all edges, including the buttons and ports, so that the glue won't be able to get into those areas - so that isn't much of a concern with WSD. BUT, it is a patient and involved process that many folks do not like and I admit that even though I've put so many on, every new installation brings some anxiety mainly because you just don't want to screw it up because it's not cheap. Definitely look at the installation videos they have on YT to see if it's even something you want to partake in. There are additional things to consider - like for example, using a tempered glass protector may limit your choices for a case (if you use one) as some may ruin the glass.
    09-19-2020 11:21 PM
    The latest iteration of the Whitestone Dome includes stickers to cover all edges, including the buttons and ports, so that the glue won't be able to get into those areas - so that isn't much of a concern with WSD. BUT, it is a patient and involved process that many folks do not like and I admit that even though I've put so many on, every new installation brings some anxiety mainly because you just don't want to screw it up because it's not cheap. Definitely look at the installation videos they have on YT to see if it's even something you want to partake in. There are additional things to consider - like for example, using a tempered glass protector may limit your choices for a case (if you use one) as some may ruin the glass.
    This.

It's not cheap but if you watch 2-3 YouTube install videos your confidence may increase a lot and you'll probably be just fine with the process. The results are worth it IMO.
    I've done 6 installs and was definitely leary the first couple of times. Now I just focus on getting them as perfect as possible.
    09-20-2020 06:34 AM
    See I have watched YouTube videos but I figured I'd come to you guys who are more of the experts since you deal primarily with Android's like I do. I'm no expert on screen protectors but you all seem more knowledgeable. I've watched YouTube videos where I've seen the glue go out and they put the glass on and everything. And then I see them pulling off the side and I didn't know if that was the glue that went on the side and they're just peeling off the side of it. It wasn't really descriptive on that. I really like the end result of what it looks like but my question is is after you cure it can you pull off the screen protector without it cracking the original screen? Does it work well with a case because I always use a case. I'm also thinking of using the fingerprint scanner because when I put my work email in it requires me to have a password and I'm getting sick and tired of having a type of numbers all the time. I'd rather just click fingerprint
    09-20-2020 07:30 AM
    See I have watched YouTube videos but I figured I'd come to you guys who are more of the experts since you deal primarily with Android's like I do. I'm no expert on screen protectors but you all seem more knowledgeable. I've watched YouTube videos where I've seen the glue go out and they put the glass on and everything. And then I see them pulling off the side and I didn't know if that was the glue that went on the side and they're just peeling off the side of it. It wasn't really descriptive on that. I really like the end result of what it looks like but my question is is after you cure it can you pull off the screen protector without it cracking the original screen? Does it work well with a case because I always use a case. I'm also thinking of using the fingerprint scanner because when I put my work email in it requires me to have a password and I'm getting sick and tired of having a type of numbers all the time. I'd rather just click fingerprint
    Yes, yes you can pull it off without any damage to the screen whatsoever. The glue cures into a gummy gel type substance not a crispy hard rock type substance. In my experience, I've been able to remove the glass without any trace on the screen with little to no effort.
    09-20-2020 07:47 AM
    That is a pretty good way to look at things. Wait. That's exactly what I'm doing too! Haha.
    09-20-2020 08:49 AM
    Yes, yes you can pull it off without any damage to the screen whatsoever. The glue cures into a gummy gel type substance not a crispy hard rock type substance. In my experience, I've been able to remove the glass without any trace on the screen with little to no effort.
    That's the biggest thing I was worried about. As the rock hard type that would essentially cracked the screen. Is it easy or difficult to do. Sorry I'm asking so many questions I'm just very unsure about something like this which I've never put glue on my phone before
    09-20-2020 09:20 AM
    That's the biggest thing I was worried about. As the rock hard type that would essentially cracked the screen. Is it easy or difficult to do. Sorry I'm asking so many questions I'm just very unsure about something like this which I've never put glue on my phone before
    But you have put glue on your phone if you've ever used tempered glass. They all use an adhesive (glue) to make them sick to the phone. Just with WSD you apply the glue yourself.
    09-20-2020 09:30 AM
    But you have put glue on your phone if you've ever used tempered glass. They all use an adhesive (glue) to make them sick to the phone. Just with WSD you apply the glue yourself.
    I wonder if it's the same really... adhesive I think is a better word over the UV glue that is used. I mean I have applied countless of tempered protectors on iPhones in recent years. They all have full adhesive on the entire back side unlike the ones for Samsungs where they only have the edges (and still dunno why they do that on Sammy screens) and when I need to pull off the covers, I never have any residue on the glass. Just a light wipe down and ready for another screen.

The UV glue sounds like ymmv and it requires more work or past posts on other forums would mention needing more work to remove.

These darn curved screens... I am so over curved screens really but I like the models so I endure. But if we didn't have curved screen then we wouldn't need these UV glue type kits and have normal kits like that's available from iPhone and they'd be inexpensive too.

Reviewers like MKBHD have been saying they are over curved screens... let's hope manufacturers listen. Fold2, Note 20... good start.
    09-20-2020 10:12 AM
    I was very apprehensive, just like you. I thought maybe it was too much trouble. Maybe I would damage my $1K+ phone. I have 5 phones, currently, and Whitestone Dome is on 4 of them. It is a protector that not only provides as much protection as tempered glass can but, in my experience, is safe for the device and is easily removable without damage.

The only way you can really know if it's right for YOU is to give it a try.
    09-20-2020 11:14 AM
    I wonder if it's the same really... adhesive I think is a better word over the UV glue that is used. I mean I have applied countless of tempered protectors on iPhones in recent years. They all have full adhesive on the entire back side unlike the ones for Samsungs where they only have the edges (and still dunno why they do that on Sammy screens) and when I need to pull off the covers, I never have any residue on the glass. Just a light wipe down and ready for another screen.

The UV glue sounds like ymmv and it requires more work or past posts on other forums would mention needing more work to remove.

These darn curved screens... I am so over curved screens really but I like the models so I endure. But if we didn't have curved screen then we wouldn't need these UV glue type kits and have normal kits like that's available from iPhone and they'd be inexpensive too.

Reviewers like MKBHD have been saying they are over curved screens... let's hope manufacturers listen. Fold2, Note 20... good start.
    That's why - and I never thought I'd say it - but I'm going iPhone next year. I've even thought about trading the Note20U for this year. Done with curved screens
    09-20-2020 02:45 PM
32 12