Best messaging app for android

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I apologize if this thread exists someplace.
Is there any messaging app that will act kind of like iMessage? At least be able to see if it was delivered? Also my parents send tons of videos to me and they are always terrible quality due to my parents using iPhones. I also would need the messaging app to work over WiFi with my phone number as my signal is spotty at my workplace.

What is the best messaging app for android ?
N20U Verizon.

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Nothing on android will work the same as imessage. The question asked was what is comparable with read receipts and what can handle a better video mms experience on android. Thanks for your reply tho.

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Is there any messaging app that will act kind of like iMessage? At least be able to see if it was delivered? Also my parents send tons of videos to me and they are always terrible quality due to my parents using iPhones. I also would need the messaging app to work over WiFi with my phone number as my signal is spotty at my workplace.

N20U Verizon.

I would recommend Verizon Messages+. It's available for both Android an iPhone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

N20U Verizon.
Have you ever tried WhatsApp or Google Duo?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Nothing on android will work the same as imessage. The question asked was what is comparable with read receipts and what can handle a better video mms experience on android. Thanks for your reply tho.
Thanks...I was addressing the second part of the question

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
WhatsApp.

With my wife and daughter, when I was using an iPhone, iMessage was of course the standard. When I moved off to the Note 8, we use WhatsApp. Best alternative IMO. Fast. Read receipts. Video message same quality as iMessage. I don't think they really use WhatsApp with anyone else so they are use to using iMessage for all and WhatsApp just between us. Worth a try.

And WhatsApp has a Windows/Mac desktop app so you can have your WhatsApp running from PC and can send messages from there.

N20U Verizon.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Have you ever tried WhatsApp or Google Duo?

I have not. Would it require them to have to download something? They are in their 70’s and don’t understand a lot LOL.

Google messages does that work well?

I have used Verizon messages but the video still is very bad quality. When my mother is trying to show me her flowers I have to respond with specific detail

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
It requires them to download the Whatsapp app from the app store. But once you download it and run it, the account is created off the telephone number on the phone being used so you just have to enter the phone number and a name you want be seen as and that's pretty much it. Once they have it installed, you can start with the first message and they can keep it to go back and forth.

Download it and install it on your phone first and you'll see how simple the install is. Install it with someone in your household to see how to interacts and see if you like it before you have your parents try... see how the read receipt works... how it shows when the message has reached their phone... how it looks when they actually read it... send a pic or video to check quality.

I have not. Would it require them to have to download something? They are in their 70’s and don’t understand a lot LOL.

I have used Verizon messages but the video still is very bad quality. When my mother is trying to show me her flowers I have to respond with specific detail

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

You would want Google Duo not Google Messages

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
You would want Google Duo not Google Messages

I think she is talking about video attachments in Verizon Messaging and how lousy they look with the compression... unless Verizon's messaging does include video chat... You never know with Verizon they way they modify their messaging apps all the time.

Duo is video chatting only so not a texting app sub. Whatsapp btw you can switch to video chat within the app if you want that added convenience as well as switch to calling the person within the app.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Do your parents use Facebook messenger?

Imessage is one thing iphone has that is superior to android phones. And getting people to use apps like WhatsApp is hard to do. They have imessage and when they share videos to people they just want to use one app for everyone. When they have imessage they have no reason to use third party apps

I don't know about Google messages beta. Last time I tried using Google messages it lacked a lot of features I want from Textra. I'll look at it again, but I haven't found a app yet to take me from Textra.

Last edited:

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Signal does all you mentioned. Does require a separate download from each person, but it's one of the better messaging apps I've used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2