I have the opportunity of getting a Samsung Note 20 Ultra from either T-Mobile or Unlocked and would like to know the advantages and disadvantages for each. I am not interested in flashing my phone (please don't kick me out of this forum) and I don't travel internationally as much as I once did (but who does these days), but despite this I am still intrigued by an unlocked phone. However, I have heard that the unlocked T-Mobile does not support RCS chat, even when the unlocked model is bought from T-Mobile. Any truth to the rumors and what do all guys know and recommend?
    09-22-2020 07:58 AM
    The unlocked model supports RCS using Google messages
    JHStewart1023 likes this.
    09-22-2020 09:28 AM
    No unlocked version on t-mobile doesn't have rcs but like mentioned by Mike, Google messages has rcs.
    The unlocked version is clean look from carrier models, no carrier bloat and splash screen logo .
    09-22-2020 10:12 AM
    No unlocked version on t-mobile doesn't have rcs but like mentioned by Mike, Google messages has rcs.
    The unlocked version is clean look from carrier models, no carrier bloat and splash screen logo .
    It's working with my unlocked on T-Mobile using stock Samsung messages.

Edit. I guess its not. I don't have the chat feature but I do get the blue or green icons depending on who I send a message to.

But the chat feature isn't supported on unlocked T-Mobile using Google messenger either unless I'm missing something.
    09-22-2020 12:15 PM

Edit. I guess its not. I don't have the chat feature but I do get the blue or green icons depending on who I send a message to.

But the chat feature isn't supported on unlocked T-Mobile using Google messenger either unless I'm missing something. [IMG=1044x487]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200922/70839f8be009a2d3ad003a233a1feec8.jpg[/url]
    It works on Tmobile because I communicate with someone on it who has Tmobile.
    09-22-2020 01:56 PM

But the chat feature isn't supported on unlocked T-Mobile using Google messenger either unless I'm missing something. [IMG=1044x487]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200922/70839f8be009a2d3ad003a233a1feec8.jpg[/url]
    It does work , maybe give a little time to kick in
    tube517 likes this.
    09-22-2020 02:36 PM
    It does work , maybe give a little time to kick in
    Yeah....even on Verizon there is sometimes a delay especially if it's the first time you try to use the SIM with Google messages. Case in point when I tossed the work SIM from my iphone into the S20U. I thought at first it was disabled my company, than a couple of days later it was there.
    09-23-2020 12:21 AM
    Yeah....even on Verizon there is sometimes a delay especially if it's the first time you try to use the SIM with Google messages. Case in point when I tossed the work SIM from my iphone into the S20U. I thought at first it was disabled my company, than a couple of days later it was there.
    Yeah they will be a little delay and should work
    09-23-2020 09:02 AM
    But the chat feature isn't supported on unlocked T-Mobile using Google messenger either unless I'm missing something.
    It works on my unlocked Pixel 4 on T-Mobile using Google Messages. I seem to recall, as others have mentioned, that it was not switched on instantly and that it took some time to take effect. I don't remember how long the wait was.

T-Mobile vs. Unlocked-chat-features.png
    09-23-2020 12:01 PM
    I bought the unlocked version and I'm still on sprint and my RCS in the stock app works fine.
    09-23-2020 12:02 PM
    I bought the unlocked version and I'm still on sprint and my RCS in the stock app works fine.
    Yeah I heard sprint works on the unlocked which is strange as the others don't.
    09-23-2020 12:13 PM
    As far as RCS goes or....?
    09-23-2020 12:25 PM
    As far as RCS goes or....?
    Yes RCS
    09-23-2020 12:27 PM
    Make sure you have the latest version of carrier services installed or updated through the Play Store. That is an integral part of RCS functionality.
    09-23-2020 02:26 PM
    Honestly, I am not shocked. One of the things I LOVE about Sprint is that they don't nickel and dime you for every little feature and try to give things to everyone on their network.

Now that we are a part of T-Mobile? Meh, so far, so good, at least on the Sprint side of the house.
    mustang7757 and JHStewart1023 like this.
    09-23-2020 04:38 PM
    Honestly, I am not shocked. One of the things I LOVE about Sprint is that they don't nickel and dime you for every little feature and try to give things to everyone on their network.

Now that we are a part of T-Mobile? Meh, so far, so good, at least on the Sprint side of the house.
    Glad your having good experience with the merger . As a Tmobile customer I've been pretty happy
    09-23-2020 04:46 PM
    Can confirm unlocked on Sprint works perfectly using Samsung stock message app.
    09-23-2020 06:51 PM
    Can confirm unlocked on Sprint works perfectly using Samsung stock message app.
    I can also confirm this as I'm also on sprint and I bought the ultra unlocked.
    09-23-2020 09:31 PM
    Glad your having good experience with the merger . As a Tmobile customer I've been pretty happy
    Many Many years ago, I worked for T-Mobile Corporate (Bellevue, WA and was there when they moved to Bothell, WA) and really loved it there. Was a contract role, so was only there a bit over a year, but it was fun! I was there when the G1 was still being tested and through the release. Was also there when Cyanogen created his first ROM for it. Was asked by the higher-ups to root/mod one of our Test G1's to see what he did and get into the inner workings and see what we could do better.

Fun times back then!
    mustang7757 likes this.
    09-24-2020 08:05 AM
    Many Many years ago, I worked for T-Mobile Corporate (Bellevue, WA and was there when they moved to Bothell, WA) and really loved it there. Was a contract role, so was only there a bit over a year, but it was fun! I was there when the G1 was still being tested and through the release. Was also there when Cyanogen created his first ROM for it. Was asked by the higher-ups to root/mod one of our Test G1's to see what he did and get into the inner workings and see what we could do better.

Fun times back then!
    Wow pretty cool
    Those were the good times, rooting and messing around with different Rom .
    09-24-2020 08:31 AM
    Wow pretty cool
    Those were the good times, rooting and messing around with different Rom .
    Yeah, I stopped rooting and messing with ROM's when I had an incident where I was on-call (yeah stupid to root/ROM my daily driver, but still) and I could not be reached because my phone kept locking up every time a call came in.

I have spare phones I can root if needed, but it just lost the appeal for me when it impacted my job and whatnot.

I mean, I LOVE the people that take the time to make the ROM's and all that, but stability is essential for me now and I barely have enough time with the hobbies I have now, let alone trying to keep up with the ROM's and ROM updates.

I miss those days though. I really do.
    tube517 and mustang7757 like this.
    09-24-2020 09:05 AM
    Yeah, I stopped rooting and messing with ROM's when I had an incident where I was on-call (yeah stupid to root/ROM my daily driver, but still) and I could not be reached because my phone kept locking up every time a call came in.

I have spare phones I can root if needed, but it just lost the appeal for me when it impacted my job and whatnot.

I mean, I LOVE the people that take the time to make the ROM's and all that, but stability is essential for me now and I barely have enough time with the hobbies I have now, let alone trying to keep up with the ROM's and ROM updates.

I miss those days though. I really do.
    Yeah , I've stopped over the years doing it , it was fun but out of my system. Especially now the way phones have gone not necessarily. Maybe at some point get the urge to do it again
    09-24-2020 11:22 AM