Fingerprint sensor issues, anyone?

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Hmmmm I guess I’ll have to play around with my mine. I put both my thumbs recorded twice and it seems at least 50% of the time it doesn’t register. I may just have to get used to it coming from pixel and Apple.

I just switch from the 11 pro max, and can tell you that the vast majority of my failed unlocks are due to the lack of experience with an in display reader. I am slowly getting it down now, but when I get a failed unlock I pay attention to my thumb location and the location where the fingerprint icon appears and its usually off just enough.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I just switch from the 11 pro max, and can tell you that the vast majority of my failed unlocks are due to the lack of experience with an in display reader. I am slowly getting it down now, but when I get a failed unlock I pay attention to my thumb location and the location where the fingerprint icon appears and its usually off just enough.
Face unlock on my iphone 11 was a tad faster but mine is super fast with a screen protector on mine.

2ndHalfCor

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else having issues with the finger print sensor?
Yes. Ever since Samsung went to the in screen fingerprint sensor it is slow and unreliable. Many on here insist there is no problem. Maybe they never used a real honest to gosh sensor like on the Note 9 or iPhone touchid. I've tried every trick and setting fix I've seen published but for me it still stinks. I'm lucky if it works two out of three tries. It forces me to slow down and concentrate on what should be an automatic reflexive action. Maybe I have bad fingerprints but my Note 9 sensor still works instantly everytime, so I refuse to just say it's me.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Ever since Samsung went to the in screen fingerprint sensor it is slow and unreliable. Many on here insist there is no problem. Maybe they never used a real honest to gosh sensor like on the Note 9 or iPhone touchid. I've tried every trick and setting fix I've seen published but for me it still stinks. I'm lucky if it works two out of three tries. It forces me to slow down and concentrate on what should be an automatic reflexive action. Maybe I have bad fingerprints but my Note 9 sensor still works instantly everytime, so I refuse to just say it's me.
I used the honest to gosh sensor on the note 9. I'll take the screen unlock all day long. I'm one of the many that insist there is no problem. It's a learning curve, some get it down some don't.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I came from the note 10+ and yes it was a horrible sensor but the 20 work great every time for me never an issue and I have a screen protector.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I had the note 9 and I had more issues with the 9 than I had with my note 10 or my note 20 now. * shrugs*

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

I agree in my experience... TouchID is probably the most consistent biometric I've experienced on a phone... I don't remember when it didn't work. Capacitive rocks and no real issues with it except you had to make space for a hole either at below the screen or on the back... too bad they didn't think of putting them on the side of metal frame sooner.

I had a "real" sensor with the Note 8 and now if I had to look back and think about how well it worked for the last 3 years, I'd be surprised if it has a total success rate of over 25%. Tried all the tricks of multiple registers and even trying to do stuff like double-tap or triple-tap on the sensor to get it to read and count it as one-attempt. In the end I went with Iris unlock over most of those 3 years. That's why when I heard and read about the in-glass FPS the past couple years, I was not looking forward to anything much better.

But since day one, I have been pleasantly surprised how well it has worked on the N20U... and with TPU screen protector on top of that! For the last three years, I'd press on the sensor on my Note 8 and wonder every time if it's gonna read it.:-\ I've now been able to use my phone and not have that pop in my mind when I do. It's not perfect... I'd say failure rate easily less than 10% but I think it's because of trying to find the sensore area when screen black... it'll be good for future owners with 2nd gen sensor area being bigger.

Is it just you then?? I don't think so.. it just seems Samsung sensors don't work as well "for everyone" like other types out there like TouchID. But compared to past phones on past Samsung phone sections here... this is probably the quietest it's been as far as tallking about the FPS. This variation seems to be working the best so far for more people.

With that said, I wouldn't have minded if they went with capacitive on the side like they did with the smaller Note 20 but I'm happy with the FPS on the N20U.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It's not just you, however many aren't not having any issue. Dry skin is an issue or if you have trouble recording the prints you could have issues.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Face unlock on my iphone 11 was a tad faster but mine is super fast with a screen protector on mine.

I miss the face id, its just so painless. The fact that I wear a mask at work(medical field) and now wear one everywhere I go. Having the in display finger print is so freaking nice.

drewood31601

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
That could be. I would estimate my 1st time success rate with it at about 97-98%. It never takes me more than 2 attempts that 2-3% it doesn't work first time.

But I came from Apple to the Note 10+, I do recall struggling more with it until I adapted to how to place my finger, pressure required, etc.

That said, my wife bailed on FPS on her Note 10+ and simply does the code. She also came from Apple.

Same with me ..just finally tired of dealing with it smh

husslord

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Finally figured it ah ha!! Sorry for the thread! I believe it was my other Ultra I turned in my new one is almost flawless!!

Umbrokhan

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Finger Print scanner Only few times it doesn't work.
You Have to press on the screen for few seconds. Maybe press a bit harder.
Same with face unlock few times it didn't work.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Not just you. I'm still have issues, even with a new screen protector. Usually my thumb. With AOD off at night, the phone screen is dark and I never find it, so I have to press the power button. Never did that with my Note 9.

Then every 10 times or so it won't take a fingerprint at all and I have to enter my password. I don't realize this until I've tried my fingerprint and it says "swype up to unlock". I guess it's a security issue, but is there a way to remove that?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante