Fingerprint sensor issues, anyone?

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Mine works fine most of the time. Sometimes I do have to try multiple times. It's certainly not as fast as the unit on the Note 9, for me.

Same here, it works but not consistently, no better than my Note 10 plus, Note 9 was never a problem, worked every time.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Same here, it works but not consistently, no better than my Note 10 plus, Note 9 was never a problem, worked every time.
I came from the 10+ and it was horrible using the FPS but the note 20 has never failed me so far it's been flawless with a screen protector on and I didn't have to register my prints again.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I came from the 10+ and it was horrible using the FPS but the note 20 has never failed me so far it's been flawless with a screen protector on and I didn't have to register my prints again.
I had pretty good luck with the S10+, Note 10+ and S20U FPS, however the Note 20U seems to unlock easier. Hope they didn't skimp on accuracy to get there, but even then I'm sure it would be adequate security.

Mandarita

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
It works. Not well, but it works. I had a Note 9 and it was so nice to grab the phone while touching the sensor on the back, at would turn on and unlock in one quick motion. Now I have to fiddle around to power it on the Note 20, then find the right spot on the screen, and press it, and hope it works. It is reliably IF you hit the right spot.
I never understood why so many people doing reviews on the rear fingerprint readers hated them. I liked it, and the in screen reader sucks IMHO.
I have learned to tap the screen two or three times, to get the display on. Then I can locate the location to press my finger on, then hope it works. Two or three more steps then I used to have on the Note 9.

Save yourself the extra steps. You don't have to power on the screen to use the FPS. Once I got used to it. the process is exactly the same. I pick up the phone while placing my thumb and it's unlocked by the time it's at eye level. You get used to the placement in exactly the same way you developed the muscle memory for where to place your digit on the N9.

Also, some people hated the back placed FPS because it was difficult to get to in certain situations. For example while in my dash mount, I would have to either type a password or take it out of the mount to unlock the phone while driving. I would have to pick up the phone while it was sitting on it's charger to look at something real quick. And I didn't like picking up my phone to take a quick glance at something during a meeting it conversation. It's much less conspicuous to just quietly place my finger on the screen.

But to each their own. I don't know why some fingerprint readers are difficult and some work like a charm. I had one on a laptop that hated my fingers, but no one else really had issues.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It works. Not well, but it works. I had a Note 9 and it was so nice to grab the phone while touching the sensor on the back, at would turn on and unlock in one quick motion. Now I have to fiddle around to power it on the Note 20, then find the right spot on the screen, and press it, and hope it works. It is reliably IF you hit the right spot.
I never understood why so many people doing reviews on the rear fingerprint readers hated them. I liked it, and the in screen reader sucks IMHO.
I have learned to tap the screen two or three times, to get the display on. Then I can locate the location to press my finger on, then hope it works. Two or three more steps then I used to have on the Note 9.
You can set the phone to "lift to wake" the lockscreen so you don't have to tap it.

Last edited:

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
The fps is working fine on my N20 Ultra both when using it with the factory fitted Tpu plastic screen protector and now with the WSD too.

Much better than my N10+ 5G.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I just added my thumb and tried it. I think it'll work better. I was having issues with my index finger. Apart when the aod is off I couldn't get it just right and had to power on to show where to put it. But I just did get my N20U.
My N9 back FPS worked flawlessly.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Save yourself the extra steps. You don't have to power on the screen to use the FPS. Once I got used to it. the process is exactly the same. I pick up the phone while placing my thumb and it's unlocked by the time it's at eye level. You get used to the placement in exactly the same way you developed the muscle memory for where to place your digit on the N9.

Learning that placement is key. On the Note 9, for me, it was pretty automatic because I could feel the surrounding edge. On the N20, it is just a huge smooth expanse of glass. I am going to paint a dot on the case at the edge to help train me. Still annoying that in most cases it takes me so many extra steps to get the screen on and unlocked.

I agree that N9 being sensor on the back being blocked. I often use it as a GPS in a mount. If the N9 screen shut down (it wasn't supposed to, but occasionally happened) I was hosed. No safe way to get it back on while driving. The N20 SHOULD be better in that I can just press the front, IF I can locate the spot.

Edit: Brain fart, I mean Note 8, not Note 9.

Last edited:

stevebob1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm using a s20plus and the sensor works every single time. I removed the oem screen protector to install a tempered glass screen protector and now I have about 99% success rate. When it fails I just breathe on my thumb for a second and it reads it instantly. I saw another comment here regarding the same issue with dry hands and success following washing hands. Maybe there's something to it

stevebob1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes very happy with it on my Huawei Mate 20 pro, it's a revolutionary technology and it can only get better. The only time I have issue if my hands are dry after washing them, but a quick moistening fixes that.

I've noticed the same thing. I just breathe on my thumb for a second and it reads it instantly.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Learning that placement is key. On the Note 9, for me, it was pretty automatic because I could feel the surrounding edge. On the N20, it is just a huge smooth expanse of glass. I am going to paint a dot on the case at the edge to help train me. Still annoying that in most cases it takes me so many extra steps to get the screen on and unlocked.

I agree that N9 being sensor on the back being blocked. I often use it as a GPS in a mount. If the N9 screen shut down (it wasn't supposed to, but occasionally happened) I was hosed. No safe way to get it back on while driving. The N20 SHOULD be better in that I can just press the front, IF I can locate the spot.
The way I hold it my thumb automatically finds the correct position. Also after using it for the previous 3 devices I'm just pretty much on target even using other digits.20200925_115601.jpeg

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The way I hold it my thumb automatically finds the correct position. Also after using it for the previous 3 devices I'm just pretty much on target even using other digits.View attachment 326949

I agree - over time, muscle memory takes over. I know my mom is struggling a bit with her S10's fingerprint sensor, because she hasn't used it before on other devices. It took me a bit too but soon your thumb just knows where to go!

marky_yo

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Agree as I have had the phone and now returned it...waiting on Samsung to ship the 512mb it’s just memory. It’s a little slow in my opinion compared to apples Face ID but then on the other hand as I type this on my iPhone XS Max the colors are horrid and there are a lot shortcomings on this as well iPhone 11. So no phone is perfect is what I’m saying.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Agree as I have had the phone and now returned it...waiting on Samsung to ship the 512mb it’s just memory. It’s a little slow in my opinion compared to apples Face ID but then on the other hand as I type this on my iPhone XS Max the colors are horrid and there are a lot shortcomings on this as well iPhone 11. So no phone is perfect is what I’m saying.

You are right - no phone is perfect! I guess it all boils down to what you can live with! :)

BarracudaBob

Aug 14, 2017
Visit site
Mine isn't consistently registering, but I don't think it's the phone or the screen protector. With all the hand washing and sanitizer, my hands are so dry. If I keep my hands moisturized it seems to pick up on the fingerprints much better.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz