How important it’s for an individual to use technologies like VPN/Antivirus?

Shaun Hedrick

Sep 24, 2020
Visit site
In the world of digitalization where startups and established businesses are investing heavily in their in keeping their data protected but still facing cyber-attacks and data breaches. So what do you think? How important it's for an individual to use technologies like VPN/Antivirus or any other latest technology to keep their information protect while using the internet?

Thanks in advance. :)

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Personally I have never used either one of those and never had an issue with security. Lucky I don't know but I am sure there will come a time where everyone will need them in this world.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I am never without AdGuard Pro. As for using anti-anything, malware etc., probably more trouble than help.

For work, or WFM, a VON may be a must. May be able to VPN thru your router - make sure it's firmware is current and supported regardless.

Password manager. Never use FB as universal sign-on method, or Google account. Those should be banned outright.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
On Android, it's fairly hard to get malware, and requires a user action 99.9% of the time by installing nefarious software. So you are the best antivirus for your phone. If you are using a computer, I would most definitely have anti-virus on it. After following a security podcast for a bit, it's a wonder Windows and programs running on it aren't worse off with all the big threats popping up.

VPN's are a good idea if you use public Wi-Fi hotspots, or any other network you don't control such as a friend's private network. Just because a Wi-Fi network is password protected doesn't mean the data transfers are encrypted and safe from snooping. I would also stick to the well known paid VPN services, as the free ones aren't as private as they claim (they make money selling your data). If you only use your personal, password protected Wi-Fi network, or your mobile carrier's network, then a VPN is about useless for the average person.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
VPN... I mainly use it when watching NFL ticket on IPTV on my phone :p. When I am at work and if I were to use our WiFi, we're block a lot of things and we also log everything so it helps there. But I do use it when I am traveling and in hotel using their WiFi or any unfamiliar WiFi I feel sketchy or not as secure, I may use it. I use SurfShark but don't have it on all the time.

I mean many of us basically have your whole life on your phone; contacts, bank apps, every website I've ever visited because I have my bookmarks synced to all my devices PC, phone, tablet with all usernames and passwords stored for those sites. Just a little extra insurance to have on when traveling.

Antivirus, I have BitDefender Pro installed. Depends on your usage. I have been known to sideload an app if I read about an app somewhere and anxious to try it out. Also I seem to read so often Google Play finding and removing malicious apps from their own store after it's been circulating for a while. Just cheap insurance. I think it's a $12-15 yearly subscription from Google Play Store. But I have Google Rewards app where they give Google Play money for doing surveys once in a while and easily get over $20 a year in surveys so no cost to me. Ran BitDefender on my Note 8 for 3 years, install and forget it and never noticed any performance drag with it so I continue to run it on my N20U.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I use a VPN for work because I must. Its a good idea that helps secure communications. Personally, I've never used VPN on my TPC (truly personal computers (phones, tablets)) or PCs. Personally, I don't engage in social media outside of Tapatalk and these forums. There's no Facebook, Twitter or web browsing where privacy is an issue. If there was, I would use a VPN and anti mallard tools without hesitation.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I am never without AdGuard Pro. As for using anti-anything, malware etc., probably more trouble than help.

For work, or WFM, a VON may be a must. May be able to VPN thru your router - make sure it's firmware is current and supported regardless.

Password manager. Never use FB as universal sign-on method, or Google account. Those should be banned outright.

I'm with you on the AdGuard Pro. I have it on EVERY device I own that they support. I have more licenses for their stuff than any other app I have ever owned. :D

As for other stuff, I have Protonmail for my main mail service which comes with ProtonVPN and I find it essential. Especially on my home machines where I have it running all the time and use the killswitch feature.

As for Anti-Virus specific apps, I used to run different ones, but I found that they just eat up resources and battery more than they make me feel safe. I don't install anything outside the Play Store (yeah, I know it's not perfect) other than AdGuard. I really don't install many apps on my device. I only have 2-3 games, some utilities and productivity stuff, but no Social Media apps at all (no Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or anything).

I normally use my phone as a productivity machine more than anything. Dex is essential for me when I am not at home and, recently, I have been toting my XBox One controller everywhere because of xCloud Game Streaming.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
+1 On AdGuard Pro. One of the very few apps I am willing to spend actual money on for.

Keep an eye on coupon codes now and then... I got a lifetime 2 Android 1 PC license for $25 dollars and paid for Adguard for my iPad. It will improve your browsing two-fold... more.

I'm with you on the AdGuard Pro. I have it on EVERY device I own that they support. I have more licenses for their stuff than any other app I have ever owned. :D

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Based on. This thread I'm giving AdGuard a shot. If its all good I may get the family license to help protect my Android fleet.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I saw that but it seems to be working as prescribed.

Oh yeah it should. It's just the added coverage of using the full version... the reason I even started using it was with my Note 8, I use to get these annoying musical pop up ads in the Samsung App Store. Someone recommended it and stopped getting them. Nice when a blocker also blocks in apps as well as browses. But if browsers is all you are concerned about the Play store version will be fine.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
My only issue with it is that it does not block ads in the YouTube app (well, it didn't the last time I tried the app a few months ago), so I just disabled the YT app and use the browser to watch vids. No more ads. EVER. :D

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
My only issue with it is that it does not block ads in the YouTube app
YouTube ads aren't ads (to the system) and they're not malware - they're YouTube content. The only way to block them (if you don't want to pay) is to block YouTube.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I ended up getting lifetime subscription AdGuard to cover my stable of laptops phones and tablets. Was ~$200 and avoid license renewals and all.

I'd use Proton mail and VPN but that's it. I get dar too much political email spam - listserver gone nuts.

It was this site. AC, that prompted me to get AdGuard - thought all the ads something was wrong, like stumbling on XXX site
Based on. This thread I'm giving AdGuard a shot. If its all good I may get the family license to help protect my Android fleet.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Android is very secure and near impossible to get actual malware if you have a current phone with up to date security patches but even older versions are incredibly safe.

Windows I haven't used virus protection since moving to Windows 10, the built in security seems to work well enough. Used Avast on Xp, Vista, 7, and 8 prior.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Android is very secure and near impossible to get actual malware if you have a current phone with up to date security patches but even older versions are incredibly safe.

Windows I haven't used virus protection since moving to Windows 10, the built in security seems to work well enough. Used Avast on Xp, Vista, 7, and 8 prior.

Yeah, I use Windows Defender in Windows 10 as well. I used to use Avast, but they became as bloated as the others over time compared to when I first started using them.

Android/Windows/IOS, I use AdGuard and that's it.

When I was working for Microsoft (back in the day) and they dumped their Corporate Anti-Virus (McCrappy) and used their own Windows Defender, it's when I switched too. I have seen tests that rate WD lower than some of the other products, but partnered with AdGuard (which has Malware Protection to a degree in it as well), I have never had any issues. Also, not having to pay licensing for Anti-Virus is great and the deep integration with the OS itself is nice.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I use Windows Defender in Windows 10 as well. I used to use Avast, but they became as bloated as the others over time compared to when I first started using them.

Android/Windows/IOS, I use AdGuard and that's it.

When I was working for Microsoft (back in the day) and they dumped their Corporate Anti-Virus (McCrappy) and used their own Windows Defender, it's when I switched too. I have seen tests that rate WD lower than some of the other products, but partnered with AdGuard (which has Malware Protection to a degree in it as well), I have never had any issues. Also, not having to pay licensing for Anti-Virus is great and the deep integration with the OS itself is nice.

I'm cheap lol... Windows Defender on Win10 definitely getting better reviews than the Defender in past. I think an article or two rate it best free antivirus available which is good enough for me. :) With Adguard and Surfshark I'm all set.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm cheap lol... Windows Defender on Win10 definitely getting better reviews than the Defender in past. I think an article or two rate it best free antivirus available which is good enough for me. :) With Adguard and Surfshark I'm all set.

I don't think that means you are cheap. There is nothing wrong with going with something that is free vs paid, especially when you are not really compromising on quality.

I know that MS has been working very hard on Defender (I know several people on the team at MS) and they take pride in the fact that it's becoming a first class solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz