ATT trade in center says my phone value is $12!

Illuminated_One

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
My phone was in near perfect condition. Maybe like one or two tiny Knicks. Just got the email they processed my phone. When I go to status tracked, they are telling me its value is adjusted to $12! They say the phone doesn't turn on. It's a note 8 and is in in line for the $1000 credit.

What the hell? It was in perfect working condition when I sent it! It's not my fault their send in packages are flimsy trash.

Anyone else get this? What can be done? There's no way it doesn't turn on, they probably just need to charge it or something. I did a factor reset before I sent it in.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If it was just a dead battery I'm sure they have a charger to plug it in. Do you have an option to have it returned?

Illuminated_One

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
If it was just a dead battery I'm sure they have a charger to plug it in. Do you have an option to have it returned?

I don't see any options, they just sent me an email they were processing it. My phone battery was just fine. In fact, it ran pretty well, long charge. Maybe because of the crap packaging, it turned on while inside? Still doesn't explain a dead battery.

It took them a full month to deliver and then process it??? Doesn't make any sense....

They better freaking return it. I have full insurance, I'm not taking this.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
This reminds me to take pictures and video of the device working before I send my son's S9 in. And to charge the battery fully.

Illuminated_One

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
This reminds me to take pictures and video of the device working before I send my son's S9 in. And to charge the battery fully.

I took pictures, but the last thing I thought could happen is somehow the phone doesn't power on. I would expect it to Crack or whatever before. I have video and pictures of the phone, but I had already set it to factory reset and turned it off.

Unless somehow it was exposed to tons of rain or water??

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Though I sent mine in to Samsung with a pretty full battery, I'm sure if it got there dead they could plug it in.

Illuminated_One

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Though I sent mine in to Samsung with a pretty full battery, I'm sure if it got there dead they could plug it in.

Right. So how can a perfectly working phone with a good battery suddenly just not turn on even without charging? What could happen on the way? Took them nearly a month to ship and process it...god knows what could of happened.

I may have left my sim card in there on accident. You don't think that would have any effect on whether it turns on or not, would it?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Right. So how can a perfectly working phone with a good battery suddenly just not turn on even without charging? What could happen on the way? Took them nearly a month to ship and process it...god knows what could of happened.

I may have left my sim card in there on accident. You don't think that would have any effect on whether it turns on or not, would it?

I don't know the answer to what could have happened but anything is possible while in transit. It could also be a different issue and they coded it wrong. As far as leaving your SIM in, that would not prevent it from turning on. You will really have to get in contact with AT&T to see what your recourse is.

Illuminated_One

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, here is what It says. Here's to hoping that was just an initial assessment or something. I am calling in the morning this is unacceptable

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200924-210004_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200924-210004_Chrome.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 36

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I took pictures, but the last thing I thought could happen is somehow the phone doesn't power on. I would expect it to Crack or whatever before. I have video and pictures of the phone, but I had already set it to factory reset and turned it off.

Unless somehow it was exposed to tons of rain or water??
I mean of the phone I'm sending in, probably with the new device as insurance against any unforeseen happenings. I saw another post not long ago where the poster said they'd sent in a good device only to have it reported as having a cracked screen. I don't really feel like I can't trust them but better safe than sorry in the long run.

Last edited:

Illuminated_One

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
I mean if the phone I'm sending in, probably with the new device as insurance against any unforeseen happenings. I saw another part not long ago where the poster said they'd sent in a good device only to have it reported as having a cracked screen. I don't really feel like I can't trust them but better safe than sorry in the long run.

Yea, I just wish I sent a video in of it turning on. I only got proof of physical condition

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I just wish I sent a video in of it turning on. I only got proof of physical condition
Yes, post-reset photos or video of the screen are useful not just to show that the phone turns on, but also that it was properly reset.

On the other hand, there's other evidence available to you. If you were using your phone until shortly before the trade-in, your carrier records will confirm that usage.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
This is the very reason I don't trade via mail in, I traded my 10+ at a tmobile store and got 700 for it done! Best of luck

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
This is the very reason I don't trade via mail in, I traded my 10+ at a tmobile store and got 700 for it done! Best of luck

I don't think AT&T allows for in-store trade in. But it has been years since I have been with them, might have changed.

SeanD_Colorado

Nov 13, 2019
Visit site

As Mike Dee said, leaving the SIM in would have no effect on its booting. I accidentally left the SIM in my last trade in. But the last thing before I boxed it was record a video of it booting fully just in case there was any kind of "won't boot/turn on" claim.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't think AT&T allows for in-store trade in. But it has been years since I have been with them, might have changed.

Some people here when taking the $1000 off promotion, took there phone to a AT&T store to turn in their trade-in phone instead of using the flimsy bubble envelop they sent.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

I'm pretty sure there was a statement that there was no returning of any hardware once submitted. They value it and that's it I'm guessing. I doubt they even keep track of it once it's approved or not approved. Just update the record one way or another and toss it in the good bin or parts bin.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't see any options, they just sent me an email they were processing it. My phone battery was just fine. In fact, it ran pretty well, long charge. Maybe because of the crap packaging, it turned on while inside? Still doesn't explain a dead battery.

It took them a full month to deliver and then process it??? Doesn't make any sense....

They better freaking return it. I have full insurance, I'm not taking this.

I guess you can go the insurance route and claim it was fine at shipping and damaged claimed by AT&T must have happened during ship. Not sure how complicated that can get if USPS wants to see the item and maybe AT&T threw it in the parts bin at this point because they already stated no return of hardware once submitted.

You can have video of it working before ship but they can always say sh!t happens during ship and that's why they state when they gave us a label that you can choose to insure it at your own penny.

I wasn't gonna spend anymore money on insuring my phone but I wasn't going to ship it back in that flimsy excuse of a bubble wrapped envelope they gave. Thanks to someones suggestion I used the box the N20U came in and stuck the label on that.
Capturebox.JPG

Illuminated_One

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Some people here when taking the $1000 off promotion, took there phone to a AT&T store to turn in their trade-in phone instead of using the flimsy bubble envelop they sent.

I tried, they kept saying we already got it in the mail, so they said had to send it in. And even before then, they were suspiciously trying to get me to send it through mail. It's as if there is some weird corporate encouragement because they know they can scam people or something, I don't know but it's pissing me off.

Illuminated_One

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
I guess you can go the insurance route and claim it was fine at shipping and damaged claimed by AT&T must have happened during ship. Not sure how complicated that can get if USPS wants to see the item and maybe AT&T threw it in the parts bin at this point because they already stated no return of hardware once submitted.

You can have video of it working before ship but they can always say sh!t happens during ship and that's why they state when they gave us a label that you can choose to insure it at your own penny.

I wasn't gonna spend anymore money on insuring my phone but I wasn't going to ship it back in that flimsy excuse of a bubble wrapped envelope they gave. Thanks to someones suggestion I used the box the N20U came in and stuck the label on that.
View attachment 326943

Wait, I have the 4 device coverage with asurion. You mean there is ANOTHER insurance for the shipping? I didn't see that at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie