com.android.phone issue on Note 20 Ultra

BarneyRebel

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
Has anyone else had this issue with the note 20 ultra? I've gone through 2 phones so far under warranty, going on my third.
I was enjoying everything on the phone until my first software update. And once the update was installed, that first phone never worked again. It seems to burn up the sim card somehow. At first we were using the older 4G sim, the 5G wasn't in the store yet.

Anyway what we did in the store was to program the Sim, then put it in the T-Mobile reps phone to test it out. it worked fine. Then we put it in my phone, it still said com.android.phone had stopped working. so we put the sim back in his phone, and the sim would not work in his phone anymore. We looked online for anyone else with the same issue, and we found a similar issue on a note 10, but that was it. We tried all of the steps we read about for that Note 10 fix, clear the phone cache and the data. Finally we factory reset the phone, it didn't work. we burned up 3 sims on this stop at the T-Mobile store in San Bernardino.
So we ordered a new phone under warranty and I received the phone in a few days.

I went to the T-Mobile store in San Diego, they had the new 5G sim cards now, so we used one of them. This should eliminate the 4G sim card question.
I restored everything, I was back to normal. I had my phone back and it worked.
Then that night I received a pop up notice saying that the phone wanted to do an update. I was like nooooo way! I said no. It told me i could delay 2 more times and that was it. So on the 3rd day with my working phone T-Mobile forced an update to me. After the reboot, guess what... there it is again...
com.android.phone had stopped working

So i call T-Mobile, i have hours on the phone with these guys. Anyway they do a 3 way call with Samsung. Samsung says its a known issue, so i would have to take it to a Samsung repair center and get the phone flashed with the latest software. Luckily for me I went to the repair store as soon as the store opened, and within 3 hours my phone had the new software i i picked it up. The phone worked but i had to restore it yet, so I spent the rest of the day restoring, logging the apps in, you know the drill. It was hours. The phone worked great, no issues.
Then, i went to sleep
When i woke up I turned the phone on. Guess what

Am I the only one on the planet that had the problem with 2 phones? Samsung is aware of the issue, the repair center read about it, but I cant find anyone else online that had this issue.

Luckily I bought it at Costco, they give you 90 days to return, and its only been just over a month.
Im returning this one and getting one last note 20. Last try.

Has anyone else had or heard of this on the Note 20 Ultra?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Has anyone else had this issue with the note 20 ultra? I've gone through 2 phones so far under warranty, going on my third.
I was enjoying everything on the phone until my first software update. And once the update was installed, that first phone never worked again. It seems to burn up the sim card somehow. At first we were using the older 4G sim, the 5G wasn't in the store yet.

Anyway what we did in the store was to program the Sim, then put it in the T-Mobile reps phone to test it out. it worked fine. Then we put it in my phone, it still said com.android.phone had stopped working. so we put the sim back in his phone, and the sim would not work in his phone anymore. We looked online for anyone else with the same issue, and we found a similar issue on a note 10, but that was it. We tried all of the steps we read about for that Note 10 fix, clear the phone cache and the data. Finally we factory reset the phone, it didn't work. we burned up 3 sims on this stop at the T-Mobile store in San Bernardino.
So we ordered a new phone under warranty and I received the phone in a few days.

I went to the T-Mobile store in San Diego, they had the new 5G sim cards now, so we used one of them. This should eliminate the 4G sim card question.
I restored everything, I was back to normal. I had my phone back and it worked.
Then that night I received a pop up notice saying that the phone wanted to do an update. I was like nooooo way! I said no. It told me i could delay 2 more times and that was it. So on the 3rd day with my working phone T-Mobile forced an update to me. After the reboot, guess what... there it is again...

So i call T-Mobile, i have hours on the phone with these guys. Anyway they do a 3 way call with Samsung. Samsung says its a known issue, so i would have to take it to a Samsung repair center and get the phone flashed with the latest software. Luckily for me I went to the repair store as soon as the store opened, and within 3 hours my phone had the new software i i picked it up. The phone worked but i had to restore it yet, so I spent the rest of the day restoring, logging the apps in, you know the drill. It was hours. The phone worked great, no issues.
Then, i went to sleep
When i woke up I turned the phone on. Guess what

Am I the only one on the planet that had the problem with 2 phones? Samsung is aware of the issue, the repair center read about it, but I cant find anyone else online that had this issue.

Luckily I bought it at Costco, they give you 90 days to return, and its only been just over a month.
Im returning this one and getting one last note 20. Last try.

Has anyone else had or heard of this on the Note 20 Ultra?
I haven't heard this issue, have you tried monitoring it in safe mode for few days ?

BarneyRebel

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
I haven't. I still have the bad phone, but they gave me an A11 to use while I wait for the new phone. I still have the bad G20 but the sim is deactivated. Should I boot it in safe mode anyway?

BarneyRebel

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
Ok I have it booted in safe mode and its plugged in. If not plugged in its tearing up the battery in no time at all. I just picked it up now to reboot it and it was completely dead, nothing in the battery. But Ill let you know what it does.
Thanks for the help by the way I appreciate it

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok I have it booted in safe mode and its plugged in. If not plugged in its tearing up the battery in no time at all. I just picked it up now to reboot it and it was completely dead, nothing in the battery. But Ill let you know what it does.
Thanks for the help by the way I appreciate it
Ok keep me posted, curious about this myself, your welcome!

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I haven't heard of it with the Note 20 Ultra but it rings a bell from back in the Root&Rom days.
You could always try flash it yourself, it's easy enough

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Never heard of this issue. Never had a problem with any of my Samsung flagship devices. Been using them since the S4. My guess is a bad app. Like the others have mentioned. Try safe mode maybe? I've never used it before though so my info is limited on that.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Do you use any third-party system-level apps--battery optimizers, package disablers, anti-malware, etc? Or have you disabled any built-in packages manually?

BarneyRebel

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
I am thinking an app too but which one? I thought maybe one of the apps that use the phone app or text app. I like the google messages app, i also use google voice. I seriously doubt that it would be them. But i did have some other apps on there i hardly ever use, one is TextNow, which is a burner text / phone # i use when selling stuff on craigslist etc. But I have skype, WhatsApp, line, which i would think are stable and tested. But maybe the textnow app wasn't tested with the update or maybe the app itself isn't compatible with it? If not that app I'm sure its another. What Ill do when I get my 3rd phone is only install the basics, I need google voice, but the others I don't really need.
When I restore this time I wont install anything that I don't need, Ill just install apps as I need them and then I should know the culprit.

I ran the phone overnight as well in safe mode, and I have not gotten the error message. I'm afraid to put a good sim in it from my backup phone so I cant test the phone app but otherwise its running ok

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I am thinking an app too but which one? I thought maybe one of the apps that use the phone app or text app. I like the google messages app, i also use google voice. I seriously doubt that it would be them. But i did have some other apps on there i hardly ever use, one is TextNow, which is a burner text / phone # i use when selling stuff on craigslist etc. But I have skype, WhatsApp, line, which i would think are stable and tested. But maybe the textnow app wasn't tested with the update or maybe the app itself isn't compatible with it? If not that app I'm sure its another. What Ill do when I get my 3rd phone is only install the basics, I need google voice, but the others I don't really need.
When I restore this time I wont install anything that I don't need, Ill just install apps as I need them and then I should know the culprit.

I ran the phone overnight as well in safe mode, and I have not gotten the error message. I'm afraid to put a good sim in it from my backup phone so I cant test the phone app but otherwise its running ok
Go to settings>apps>3 dots upper right corner tap>permission manager > see what has access to phone there

BarneyRebel

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
Ok I did that. There are 35 apps with permission to the phone. Seems high, but some are just normal apps, like google apps, but some apps that have permission that may be in question are
Hiya - a caller id spam blocker app
MagicJack
SlyDial
TextNow
Lyft

BarneyRebel

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
I deleted a bunch of apps, i also cleaned up anything running in the memory, i also cleaned out the phone app cache, and i powered down completely, restarted, and after about 10 seconds the error appears

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers