Screen dead/blank

Blasted_1

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I was using my N20U just fine tonight. I went to go look at it and nothing on the screen. What is odd is that Google assistant works (ie. I could call my wife) and I could log into my google account to "Find Phone" and it rang. My Fit2 could talk to it as well for "Find Phone". Plug into my laptop for Dex on Windows. It tried to initiate it but stopped.

I then held down power button plus volume up for a few seconds and I think it rebooted because my Fit2 no longer has connection to my device. But if I hold down power button, nothing. If I hold down power and volume down, I get a vibration but nothing on the screen. Volume up and power does nothing now.

Am I hooped? Hope that the power drains by the morning...which it probably won't if it's off.

EDIT: So my phone hasn't actually logged out. Very odd. If I go into Samsung's Find My Mobile website, it shows my phone is online and connected to my wife. I can ring it. I can track it. I see it has 36% battery left. Also odd is that I can connect somewhat to the phone through the Your Phone program in Windows and call someone through it but can't text or load apps on Windows.

Arrrggghhh.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Try factory reset through recovery, strange it went out, maybe the screen brightness was toggled very low ?

Blasted_1

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Try factory reset through recovery, strange it went out, maybe the screen brightness was toggled very low ?

Right now my thought is to drain the battery the best I can somehow, let it die completely, and then plug it in to see if it that brings it back to life. It's only dropped 5% in the past 6-7 hours, so not sure how to accelerate that any without being able to actually do anything with it.

My phone is "working" but it's locked down. Audio works because it can be called and I call from it through Your Phone. Samsung Find My Mobile can see it and report back and do certain things with it. But I can't reset it from there, and I can't do anything else with it without a screen or connection.

Have to wait until an actual service agent comes online at Samsung in the next 15-20min so I can speak to someone online and start a service request. Arrrgghhh.

Might be time to dust off the ol' S7. LOL

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried the really long power button press till you get a hard shutdown? Maybe a shutdown, give it a minute and a power up might get you something? Also do you have a memory card in it? You might want to pull it out if you do and see if that has any effect. A bad card card can cause issues like that.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Right now my thought is to drain the battery the best I can somehow, let it die completely, and then plug it in to see if it that brings it back to life. It's only dropped 5% in the past 6-7 hours, so not sure how to accelerate that any without being able to actually do anything with it.

My phone is "working" but it's locked down. Audio works because it can be called and I call from it through Your Phone. Samsung Find My Mobile can see it and report back and do certain things with it. But I can't reset it from there, and I can't do anything else with it without a screen or connection.

Have to wait until an actual service agent comes online at Samsung in the next 15-20min so I can speak to someone online and start a service request. Arrrgghhh.

Might be time to dust off the ol' S7. LOL
See if the screen pops on in recovery that way we know .

Blasted_1

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
See if the screen pops on in recovery that way we know .

And how do I do that? I can't power down the phone by normal means as far as I can tell. Holding down power and volume down, I feel the device vibrate, but nothing else happens. I can't adb into it because debugging was never turned on.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
And how do I do that? I can't power down the phone by normal means as far as I can tell. Holding down power and volume down, I feel the device vibrate, but nothing else happens. I can't adb into it because debugging was never turned on.
If you know or feel the device power off , then press power /volume up button same time before you try power up again. It's a little tricky to do especially not seeing anything and might take couple tries to do this .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

How long are you holding the buttons down? To force a shutdown, you typically have to keep Power and Vol Down pressed for about 20 seconds.

Blasted_1

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
So I have a scheduled appt with local authorized repair shop here. It's odd because haptics seems to be working fine and holding power/volume down at the same time seems to do SOMETHING, but zero screen. It's just black. Apparently I'm not the only person:
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...isplay/m-p/1438147/highlight/true/tab/preview

I know it's just something that happens and someone is bound to get the defective ones from time to time. I thought I went through that with cheap Samsung televisions years ago. LOL First Samsung phone I've EVER had some kind of problem with.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I didn't hear anything with flexible?

I don't remember where I read it and was gonna delete my post cause I don't wanna look like I pull this stuff out of my butt... but you already replied lol... so a little Googling and wondering why we haven't heard anything or anyone mention anything from DisplayMate, I checked on their site and knew I could trust them to mention the tiniest of details and they mention it... "Flexible OLED." :)

https://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note20_ShootOut_1N.htm

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't remember where I read it and was gonna delete my post cause I don't wanna look like I pull this stuff out of my butt... but you already replied lol... so a little Googling and wondering why we haven't heard anything or anyone mention anything from DisplayMate, I checked on their site and knew I could trust them to mention the tiniest of details and they mention it... "Flexible OLED." :)

https://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note20_ShootOut_1N.htm
Nice :)

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Didn't I read somewhere that they are using a new type of panel for the N20U? It's a flexible panel... maybe the same/similar type used on their foldables??
Nope no such thing, if not the Note20 Ultra wouldn't feel cheap like the folded .

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
What carrier?? I'd imagine if you were able to force reboot or shutdown the phone, you'd at least see the Carrier logo before Android even boots up. I'm on AT&T so I have to see their logo everytime I start/restart the phone. That would give you an idea if the display is working??

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Nope no such thing, if not the Note20 Ultra wouldn't feel cheap like the folded .

Well, the panel would be... glued??... behind the Gorilla Glass. I was just thinking they been doing curved edges for a long time so maybe the panel has always been a flexible design??

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21