How long has the virus scanner been under device care?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
https://www.zdnet.com/article/android-security-six-more-apps-containing-joker-malware-removed-from-the-google-play-store/

I've seen news articles like this all time pop up in my newsfeeds for years how Google had to remove discovered apps with malware from their store. If Google can’t even catch them before they go on their store who knows if you may be the unlucky shmuck that finds one of these titles interesting and tries it. Never see stuff like this pop up as often for iOS and never feel the need on my iPad like I do Android. So IMO having an antivirus/malware program is cheap insurance.

BitDefender is what I use. I earn enough free money using Google Rewards to pay for itself yearly.

And I also use AdGuard Pro to eliminate ads in browsers and apps.

Yeah, I see those articles as well -- but have you looked at the apps involved? Everything about those apps scream shady and unreliable. I know that it's hard to come up with definitive criteria of what to look for in a trustworthy app, but those apps definitely don't pass the smell test.:p

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I see those articles as well -- but have you looked at the apps involved? Everything about those apps scream shady and unreliable. I know that it's hard to come up with definitive criteria of what to look for in a trustworthy app, but those apps definitely don't pass the smell test.:p
To me Diddy, those are all useless on android phones , any app cleaners,,performance improvement apps, anti-virus etc... never used them and never will .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
To me Diddy, those are all useless on android phones , any app cleaners,,performance improvement apps, anti-virus etc... never used them and never will .

I agree, but here I'm talking about the malicious apps that Google catches and kicks out of the Play Store (which then gets reported in Cnet and raises an uproar). Maybe I'll work on a guide to help users determine if an app is shady, just by looking at the app page in the Play Store. Some initial ideas:

1. As you mentioned, any "phone cleaner/RAM booster."

2. Any app with the word "Best" in the app title.

3. Any app where the majority of 5 star reviews are so rhapsodic, they make it sound like the app will also create a million dollars out of thin air or grant the user immortality.

4. Anything from Cheetah Mobile or DO Global.

5. Any app that is clearly a ripoff of a well-known legitimate app, but with horrendous spelling/grammar in the app description.

Hmm, stay tuned, maybe there'll be another Ambassador Guide soon.;)

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I agree, but here I'm talking about the malicious apps that Google catches and kicks out of the Play Store (which then gets reported in Cnet and raises an uproar). Maybe I'll work on a guide to help users determine if an app is shady, just by looking at the app page in the Play Store. Some initial ideas:

1. As you mentioned, any "phone cleaner/RAM booster."

2. Any app with the word "Best" in the app title.

3. Any app where the majority of 5 star reviews are so rhapsodic, they make it sound like the app will also create a million dollars out of thin air or grant the user immortality.

4. Anything from Cheetah Mobile or DO Global.

5. Any app that is clearly a ripoff of a well-known legitimate app, but with horrendous spelling/grammar in the app description.

Hmm, stay tuned, maybe there'll be another Ambassador Guide soon.;)
Another one is that many of them are beauty camera apps.

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
Something that I'd never enable. It's a virus in itself. Dual sim international model here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201028-000836_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20201028-000836_Device care.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 6