Turning off 5G on att

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The question is why you'd want to. It doesn't cost anything if the tower you connect to isn't using 5G. And you get better service if it is. (Don't listen to the hype - 5G is a method of encoding the signal, it's no more dangerous than hearing someone speak French. mmWAVE (with any encoding method, even analog, which is no encoding) may be dangerous, we don't have enough experience to know, but you can't turn individual frequencies in the phone on and off.

husslord

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Curious I'm just messing around with it as I try to get samsung messaging app to work on my Mac since side sync is giving me issues. I like to keep the stock app for my watch.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Samsung phone battery drains quickly on 5G servic

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...oubleshooting%2FTSG01201462%2F&token=AP62Jb2x

Next year 5G should be part of SoC, it is not now, which will help with battery and power and free up a tiny slice of space.

Also,

"RootMetrics also picked up on an issue in its national tests. When a 5G phone’s service is “mixed” — having to drop from 5G to 4G because the signal isn’t strong — median download speeds dropped to about half of regular 4G LTE speeds."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/09/08/5g-speed/

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The question is why you'd want to. It doesn't cost anything if the tower you connect to isn't using 5G. And you get better service if it is. (Don't listen to the hype - 5G is a method of encoding the signal, it's no more dangerous than hearing someone speak French. mmWAVE (with any encoding method, even analog, which is no encoding) may be dangerous, we don't have enough experience to know, but you can't turn individual frequencies in the phone on and off.
Some 5G signals are slow right now and some carriers allow you to disable 5G

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
But does the phone allow you to change the encoding (which is what "disable 5G" means) if you're the normal user?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the user understands that changing roaming changes non-roaming too.

But handy for us to know, if anyone asks. Thanks.

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
As far as I am aware, there isn't a way to turn it off on ATT. I just looked under mobile networks, we don't have that option T-Mobile has. :(

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
As far as I am aware, there isn't a way to turn it off on ATT. I just looked under mobile networks, we don't have that option T-Mobile has. :(
Neither does Verizon.

To go one worse than....my stepson is buying an iphone 12 and Verizon is forcing him into a new plan that includes 5G even though 5G isn't available where he lives. I told him to use his old SIM to avoid changing plans but he already set the wheels in motion.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The data roaming is a separate toggle
I understand that, Mike. And now, according to NZMOZ44, you can't do that on AT&T. All just information we have to keep for future questions. (I have a little "customer service" type of list of answers to Android questions - this thread is on it.)

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
Neither does Verizon.

To go one worse than....my stepson is buying an iphone 12 and Verizon is forcing him into a new plan that includes 5G even though 5G isn't available where he lives. I told him to use his old SIM to avoid changing plans but he already set the wheels in motion.
Oh no. That's not good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol