Are screen protectors necessary?

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've not seen magnetic usb_c adapters before !

I assume the magnet does not cause any issues ?

Where did you get them from may I ask ?

Just Google WSKEN Magnetic Cable. They have microusb, usbc and lightning. No issues since i first bought them. It sits in the port. Just buy more cables.

And make sure to get the latest version as the latest version supports 5A. WSKEN SHARK X4.

http://wsken.my/Type-C-Magnetic-Cab...To-Type-C-PD-100W-Quick-Charge-Magnetic-Cable

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
WSD... Im never buying those again. I suck real bad at installing them. I have spent more than USD$500 on WSD for my previous phones(which is around 10 sets) ... And about replacing the display, since my N20U is "Made in Indonesia" , the screen is actually cheap. I checked before with Samsung Indonesia and it costs USD$310 to get the screen replaced(excluding the battery and service).

I currently am using the Defender Pro. Good case with good protection. But yeah i hope GG Victus stands up to its name. Another user posted a beat up N20 screen so it makes me wonder about how good Victus is...

I never had any issues without screen protectors but at times it just pops in my mind...

I think you need to do what's right for you! If you'd feel better without one and haven't had any issues, go for it! :)

I'm clumsier than the average person so screen protectors *and* cases are must-haves for me!

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Just Google WSKEN Magnetic Cable. They have microusb, usbc and lightning. No issues since i first bought them. It sits in the port. Just buy more cables.

And make sure to get the latest version as the latest version supports 5A. WSKEN SHARK X4.

WSKEN Shark X4 C To C 100W Magnetic Cable

Thank you.

I've ordered a usb_c cap now to cover the port as I don't use it anyway and it'll help stop dust entering.

Thank you for the idea that instigated me buying from Amazon.

scotiez1

Oct 12, 2018
Visit site
I don't use a screen protector on my phones unless the oleophobic coating wears off. Then I will put on a Whitestone dome glass screen protector. I have used them in the past on pixel phones cause the oleophobic coating is terrible on those phones. Just don't use alcohol wipes on your phone. Those will take the coating off real fast.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
On my S10+ I went back and forth about whether to take the protector off or not because at release there was a lot of buzz around how crappy the FPS was. Over time the protector got scratched and dinged and really started looking like, well not so good. The final straw was when I began noticing the oleophobic coating was gone over the keyboard area. I tried to find OEM protectors for it and wrongly assumed that Samsung would sell them. The ones I got from them were no where near the quality of the OEM and definitely lacked the oleophobic coating or at least much of one. So after using the second one of the two pack and being disappointed I just went without. I'm a front pocket carrier and I truly avoid having anything else in there with it but I still ended up with two micro scratches that probably no one else would have noticed but it drove me crazy. Then the oleophobic coating on the glass began wearing off, much faster than it did on the OEM protector and there's just nothing you can do after that. I tried in vein some of that liquid screen protector in hopes of maybe just restoring some of the oleophobic feel but it did nothing.

I saw some mention in the comments of being careful with what you use, fluid wise, to clean your screen and I can attest to that. At work I dealt with solvents and things and even just the dried residue can remove the coating or at least it did with one of my previous devices. The film type are great for keeping scratches off of the screen but they themselves can get pretty beaten up. I saw mention in the comments of changing them every 6 weeks or so. I wouldn't think they would need to be changed that often. I guess it depends on what your expectation is for the device. If you just want to keep it pristine for resale value then sure go with a screen protector. If you want to keep it perfect out of vanity it seems like a lot when you won't ever enjoy the reason for keeping it perfect. I mean it does no good to keep the screen scratch free if you're always going to have it covered.

On a side note everything does seem to work better without them though... In my humble opinion it comes down to what you can tolerate (appearance wise), what your end game is and how much risk you assess and think you can handle (I mean $300 for a screen isn't pennies).

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Change screen protectors every 4-6 weeks? What screen protector do you use? Is it case friendly?

Mine was in the middle... And its annoying.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BJW8X4...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6886625

I'm using those, pretty easy to get them on straight and have a good feel. I bought those to replace the factory installed protector the last week in September (got phone at launch) and I'm going to change the doest one I put on because the side edges are starting to lift. So the 6 week lifetime is about right. Probably usable for a little while longer, but they're cheap so I'm not going to stretch them.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you.

I've ordered a usb_c cap now to cover the port as I don't use it anyway and it'll help stop dust entering.

Thank you for the idea that instigated me buying from Amazon.

Well, its good that i was able to help out :D i have the USB-C dust plug too but i dont have a wireless charger at home so i have to use the port.

I think you need to do what's right for you! If you'd feel better without one and haven't had any issues, go for it! :)

I'm clumsier than the average person so screen protectors *and* cases are must-haves for me!

Using a screen protector plastic or glass doesn't seem as comfortable as using nothing. Well there's a distance using tempered glass and using plastic is nice at first but after a few days it gets sticky.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
On my S10+ I went back and forth about whether to take the protector off or not because at release there was a lot of buzz around how crappy the FPS was. Over time the protector got scratched and dinged and really started looking like, well not so good. The final straw was when I began noticing the oleophobic coating was gone over the keyboard area. I tried to find OEM protectors for it and wrongly assumed that Samsung would sell them. The ones I got from them were no where near the quality of the OEM and definitely lacked the oleophobic coating or at least much of one. So after using the second one of the two pack and being disappointed I just went without. I'm a front pocket carrier and I truly avoid having anything else in there with it but I still ended up with two micro scratches that probably no one else would have noticed but it drove me crazy. Then the oleophobic coating on the glass began wearing off, much faster than it did on the OEM protector and there's just nothing you can do after that. I tried in vein some of that liquid screen protector in hopes of maybe just restoring some of the oleophobic feel but it did nothing.

I saw some mention in the comments of being careful with what you use, fluid wise, to clean your screen and I can attest to that. At work I dealt with solvents and things and even just the dried residue can remove the coating or at least it did with one of my previous devices. The film type are great for keeping scratches off of the screen but they themselves can get pretty beaten up. I saw mention in the comments of changing them every 6 weeks or so. I wouldn't think they would need to be changed that often. I guess it depends on what your expectation is for the device. If you just want to keep it pristine for resale value then sure go with a screen protector. If you want to keep it perfect out of vanity it seems like a lot when you won't ever enjoy the reason for keeping it perfect. I mean it does no good to keep the screen scratch free if you're always going to have it covered.

On a side note everything does seem to work better without them though... In my humble opinion it comes down to what you can tolerate (appearance wise), what your end game is and how much risk you assess and think you can handle (I mean $300 for a screen isn't pennies).

Well.... I guess ill just go naked. And i dont plan to change the screen even if its scratched or the Oleophobic coating is gone. Hahaha. Im not that crazy. If its cracked then ill get thr screen and sell it straight after.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't use a screen protector on my phones unless the oleophobic coating wears off. Then I will put on a Whitestone dome glass screen protector. I have used them in the past on pixel phones cause the oleophobic coating is terrible on those phones. Just don't use alcohol wipes on your phone. Those will take the coating off real fast.

I use Ringke pre moistened screen wipes. Are these safe?

Attachments

• 20201115_111626.jpg
    20201115_111626.jpg
    603.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20201115_111633.jpg
    20201115_111633.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 19

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I have been using my S10+ naked since after the first month. I spent loads on a Whitestone dome but within a month it started lifting and I hated how it looked. Since then, (March 2020) it has been naked. I have no scratches on it. If you can look after your phone it should be ok.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I use Ringke pre moistened screen wipes. Are these safe?
There's alcohol, among other things listed as ingredients, so over time it may eat away at your oleophobic coating. You upgrade often enough to where it shouldnt be a problem unless you are constantly wiping your screen.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
There's alcohol as an ingredient so over time it may eat you oleophobic coating. You upgrade often enough to where it shouldnt be a problem unless you are constantly wiping your screen.

I knew it... So what is the best way to clean the screen without worrying about the oleophobic coating? Microfiber?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Would anyone know if they make a full adhesive tempered glass screen protector, not 5o be confused with full glue ( loca ).

Don't really think anyone will make one. Guess just too hard to get a perfect seal with the curved edges where as the WhiteStone the adhesive can spread evenly and ensure no gap even if there may be the slightest uneven part before curing.

IMO don't bother with any kits that don't use the liquid adhesive and UV curing. Those with barely any adhesive on the sides are a waste. Never get a tight fit/seal.

Too bad these curved displays. Iphone practically any glass available works and fully adhesive. Spigen glass on my daughters 12 Pro the other day... Simple jig you put your phone in, remove film covering adhesive, press, done. One minute.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Would anyone know if they make a full adhesive tempered glass screen protector, not 5o be confused with full glue ( loca ).

Nillkin used to make them.full glue up to the sides and not uv glue(loca).i was a big fan of it but it requires extreme precision,off 1 bit and it wouldnt stick.

Microfiber normally. If it's a stain, water with a damp cloth usually gets it.

Microfiber for glasses is a good idea i guess. i have been using that Ringke wipe on my glasses and yeah my glasses no longer has coating...been 4 years though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair