Are screen protectors necessary?

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
Don't really think anyone will make one. Guess just too hard to get a perfect seal with the curved edges where as the WhiteStone the adhesive can spread evenly and ensure no gap even if there may be the slightest uneven part before curing.

IMO don't bother with any kits that don't use the liquid adhesive and UV curing. Those with barely any adhesive on the sides are a waste. Never get a tight fit/seal.

Too bad these curved displays. Iphone practically any glass available works and fully adhesive. Spigen glass on my daughters 12 Pro the other day... Simple jig you put your phone in, remove film covering adhesive, press, done. One minute.
I agree. I remember installing a full Thesis I think the brand was called on my iphone xs max , it was full adhesive with very minimal black borders and it looked like no screen protector was fitted. You'd think technology had progressed in this area albeit not.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I remember installing a full Thesis I think the brand was called on my iphone xs max , it was full adhesive with very minimal black borders and it looked like no screen protector was fitted. You'd think technology had progressed in this area albeit not.

Especially since more and more phones are having curved edges.

Although, my husband's LG Velvet has a curved screen and he has a tempered glass screen protector. I installed it and it's working fine. Maybe it's not actual glass but a harder film? I did think that it was, though. I'll have to look.

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently back in California and it's super dusty here, we've had no rain and the fires have made it worse, there's ash everywhere.
I have no screen protector but i have an Otterbox Defender case which protects all the ports and I use a microfiber cloth to wipe the screen clean.
So far it's been perfect.
My screen is pristine, not a nick or scratch on it, I've had the phone for almost 3 months.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm currently back in California and it's super dusty here, we've had no rain and the fires have made it worse, there's ash everywhere.
I have no screen protector but i have an Otterbox Defender case which protects all the ports and I use a microfiber cloth to wipe the screen clean.
So far it's been perfect.
My screen is pristine, not a nick or scratch on it, I've had the phone for almost 3 months.

I am using the Defender too! Great case. Ill be getting a microfiber cloth soon.

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Microfiber normally. If it's a stain, water with a damp cloth usually gets it.

Vodafone Germany also recommends on its websites microfiber cloth for cleaning smartphone displays:

"Clean and disinfect the cell phone: What you should do - and what you should not do!

You don't need much to clean your smartphone: a clean, dry microfiber cloth and a soft toothbrush are sufficient for most dirt.

What you absolutely do not need is disinfectant, glass cleaner or washing-up liquid. Most of these cleaning agents are much too aggressive for the smartphone and can attack the surfaces. Displays, for example, have a grease-repellent coating and this layer can be damaged by aggressive cleaners.

If there is an important reason why you want to disinfect your smartphone properly, this is possible in exceptional cases. Cleaning sprays with an antibacterial effect for cleaning touchscreens are commercially available. You can use such a spray to disinfect your cell phone. But you should only do this in an emergency (or very rarely), because even these special cleaners are not good for the surfaces if used frequently and with long exposure times.

This is how you proceed with a thorough cell phone cleaning:

The protective cover: If you are using one, you should take it off and clean it separately. Over time, a lot of dirt collects here: fat and small crumbs settle on the edges. How you can clean the cell phone cover depends on the material, of course. Careful wiping with a clean, damp cloth should be no problem for most materials. Simple plastic or silicone "bumpers" can even be cleaned under running water and with soap.

Your Smartphone: With the microfiber cloth you can easily wipe the surfaces of your cell phone. Openings for microphone, speaker, USB-C or Lightning port can be cleaned carefully with a toothbrush (which can also help with charging problems). But you should not exert any pressure, because otherwise the microphone can be damaged.

Stubborn dirt can be removed by moistening the microfiber cloth. Of course you should be careful when handling water: the cloth should really only be slightly moist, but not wet. It's different if your smartphone is waterproof - then you can even rinse it. But even then, you should avoid cleaning additives like soap."

(Translated from German by me)

overcookedcoffle

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I would go to a carrier.
And try to find a case to carry it in.

Here's your screen glass.

Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra
The Galaxy Note20 Ultra is the world’s first device designed with Corning® Gorilla® Glass Victus™, front and back. It's the toughest Gorilla® Glass yet, with significantly improved scratch and drop performance. Featuring a 6.9-inch edge Quad HD+ Dynamic AMOLED 2X Infinity-O Display with an ultra-smooth 120Hz refresh rate, the Galaxy Note20 Ultra is designed to work like a computer and let you game like a pro. Additionally, its stunning 108MP triple rear camera is designed with tough Corning® Gorilla® Glass 6

If that's the case, then you really don't need a screen protector on your Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra

Kamori

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I always get a tempered glass screen protector with whatever phone I get, but the ones I've tried with my note 20 ultra don't seem to work with the finger print sensor, so I have resorted to just using a TCP film protector

J Chamberlain

Sep 15, 2020
Visit site
My Note 20 Ultra in Thailand came with a preinstalled film screen protector from the Samsung store, and it appears really effective in repelling finger marks, and is very easy to clean.
I took delivery of my phone on launch day, and it has always been in a case..I have 3 different makes and styles..😄
My current favourite is the Nilken leather wallet case, which is good quality, and protects the whole phone in transit or when not in use.. The same case has protected my as new Note 9 from day one too..

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I am using the Defender too! Great case. Ill be getting a microfiber cloth soon.

I love the Defender as well.... nothing beats the peace of mind it gives me. Ultimate protection and no plugged/dirty ports to be cleaned. Plus mine has a built-in screen protector as well.... works awesome! :D

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I love the Defender as well.... nothing beats the peace of mind it gives me. Ultimate protection and no plugged/dirty ports to be cleaned. Plus mine has a built-in screen protector as well.... works awesome! :D

The rubber back on the normal Defender seems loose on the back. But on the Defender Pro its tight.

wenso smith

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Many people still buy screen protectors to protect those screens, but they've become less necessary. Screen protectors were once practically mandatory, but advances in glass and coatings have made them unnecessary for most people. You don't have to buy a screen protector when you get a new phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech