Are screen protectors necessary?

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So when I bought my Note 20 Ultra, it came with a pre installed screen protector. Everything was fine until the next day where i noticed dirt/dust under the screen protector. I tried to remove the dirt but instead it got worse as the provided screen protector is just a piece of plastic.

So i took it off. Used my phone with the screen naked for around 1 month(no issues with FPS or input) . Then i bought the Rhinoshield Impact Flex screen protector. And i noticed that FPS seems to be slower and the phone doesn't pick up my touches at times(i did turn on Touch sensitivity).

So finally i decided to remove the Rhinoshield Impact Flex and go naked again.

But im wondering, if i take good care of my phone, will the screen be scratched?(i never put my phone anywhere with something else) i have an OtterBox Defender Pro installed. And it mostly stays in the holster with the screen facing in.

I do have 2 hairline scratches . 1 to the left of the front facing camera and the other to the right(caused by a Precision cutter which i used to make the Rhinoshield Impact Flex fit).

So its safe to go naked as long as i take care of it or do i need 1?

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
What R. U doing to get dirt all over your phone.

I don't have a screen protector.

But I don't get it dirty.
If I did, I would clean the phone and case.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What R. U doing to get dirt all over your phone.

I don't have a screen protector.

But I don't get it dirty.
If I did, I would clean the phone and case.

I have sweaty palms and Jakarta, Indonesia is quite dusty... After cleaning the screen its good and finger slides easily across but i read somewhere cleaning often with wipes can damage the Oleophobic coating of the screen...

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I always use a screen protector. I used tempered glass but I have to use a film on my S10.

I think if you take really good care of your phone and if you have device protection on your phone, then go for it!

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I would go to a carrier.
And try to find a case to carry it in.

Here's your screen glass.

Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra
The Galaxy Note20 Ultra is the world’s first device designed with Corning® Gorilla® Glass Victus™, front and back. It's the toughest Gorilla® Glass yet, with significantly improved scratch and drop performance. Featuring a 6.9-inch edge Quad HD+ Dynamic AMOLED 2X Infinity-O Display with an ultra-smooth 120Hz refresh rate, the Galaxy Note20 Ultra is designed to work like a computer and let you game like a pro. Additionally, its stunning 108MP triple rear camera is designed with tough Corning® Gorilla® Glass 6

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
As jerryrigeverything says “ glass is glass ”

It has the capability of scratching even tho it's the new version of glass display i.e Gorilla Glass Victus.

I use the Whitestone Dome Glass Screen Protector because it's the best available in my opinion and if the display was scratched I'd be drawn to it.

Also replacing a curved display isn't cheap so I'd rather help to protect it from accidental bumps.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I honestly don't think one needs a screen protector but it's just added sense of comfort to those that need it for their OCD or something.... me included. I think over normal use a few very fine little scratches here and there is just normal wear and ok but I just hate to see it when the phone is new so I put one on.

My routine with phones would be brand new I get a screen protector and run with it for the first year and then once the newness wears off I usually end up taking off the protector, admire the difference in look and feel and go naked with it for the remainder of my ownership... another year or so. And when I look at all the devices I've had... not a single scratch. Maybe a few superfine ones if I really have to look?? And I'm probably babying less during that time then I did the first year. I look at all the iPads I've had over the years never having a protector and nothing either.

My wife she hates protectors even tempered on her iPhones... tried putting one on her 10 then 11 Pro and she just took it off. She plays beach volleyball a few times a month so she'll get sand all over her stuff and me I'd go nuts if there was one grain near my screen but she just wipes off and looks fine. If I look closely I may find super super fine ones but she doesn't care. Her Apple Watch too. More power to her.

Now if you are a clumsy person, then maybe more for avoiding cracks. Since the iPhone1, I can probably count with one, may both my hands, the times I've dropped my phone. But never cracked or killed a phone so I don't buy protectors for that reason.

My daughter has never cracked any of her phones either, but she's dropped her phone in front of me for no reason more times I care to remember. So when her iPhone 12 Pro came in yesterday, I put the Spigen glass on it the moment I took off the plastic film off the screen and gave it to her as her belated grad present. She doesn't care about scratches either but she accepts it to humor me lol.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
As jerryrigeverything says “ glass is glass ”

It has the capability of scratching even tho it's the new version of glass display i.e Gorilla Glass Victus.

I use the Whitestone Dome Glass Screen Protector because it's the best available in my opinion and if the display was scratched I'd be drawn to it.

Also replacing a curved display isn't cheap so I'd rather help to protect it from accidental bumps.

WSD... Im never buying those again. I suck real bad at installing them. I have spent more than USD$500 on WSD for my previous phones(which is around 10 sets) ... And about replacing the display, since my N20U is "Made in Indonesia" , the screen is actually cheap. I checked before with Samsung Indonesia and it costs USD$310 to get the screen replaced(excluding the battery and service).

I would go to a carrier.
And try to find a case to carry it in.

Here's your screen glass.

Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra
The Galaxy Note20 Ultra is the world’s first device designed with Corning® Gorilla® Glass Victus™, front and back. It's the toughest Gorilla® Glass yet, with significantly improved scratch and drop performance. Featuring a 6.9-inch edge Quad HD+ Dynamic AMOLED 2X Infinity-O Display with an ultra-smooth 120Hz refresh rate, the Galaxy Note20 Ultra is designed to work like a computer and let you game like a pro. Additionally, its stunning 108MP triple rear camera is designed with tough Corning® Gorilla® Glass 6

I currently am using the Defender Pro. Good case with good protection. But yeah i hope GG Victus stands up to its name. Another user posted a beat up N20 screen so it makes me wonder about how good Victus is...

I always use a screen protector. I used tempered glass but I have to use a film on my S10.

I think if you take really good care of your phone and if you have device protection on your phone, then go for it!

I never had any issues without screen protectors but at times it just pops in my mind...

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Without a good case.
And the dust.
I'd be worried about dust getting in the USB-C connection.
The stylus.
The speaker.
And other parts of the phone.
Last thing I'd be worried about is scratching the screen.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I honestly don't think one needs a screen protector but it's just added sense of comfort to those that need it for their OCD or something.... me included. I think over normal use a few very fine little scratches here and there is just normal wear and ok but I just hate to see it when the phone is new so I put one on.

My routine with phones would be brand new I get a screen protector and run with it for the first year and then once the newness wears off I usually end up taking off the protector, admire the difference in look and feel and go naked with it for the remainder of my ownership... another year or so. And when I look at all the devices I've had... not a single scratch. Maybe a few superfine ones if I really have to look?? And I'm probably babying less during that time then I did the first year. I look at all the iPads I've had over the years never having a protector and nothing either.

My wife she hates protectors even tempered on her iPhones... tried putting one on her 10 then 11 Pro and she just took it off. She plays beach volleyball a few times a month so she'll get sand all over her stuff and me I'd go nuts if there was one grain near my screen but she just wipes off and looks fine. If I look closely I may find super super fine ones but she doesn't care. Her Apple Watch too. More power to her.

Now if you are a clumsy person, then maybe more for avoiding cracks. Since the iPhone1, I can probably count with one, may both my hands, the times I've dropped my phone. But never cracked or killed a phone so I don't buy protectors for that reason.

My daughter has never cracked any of her phones either, but she's dropped her phone in front of me for no reason more times I care to remember. So when her iPhone 12 Pro came in yesterday, I put the Spigen glass on it the moment I took off the plastic film off the screen and gave it to her as her belated grad present. She doesn't care about scratches either but she accepts it to humor me lol.

Yes... OCD... I used to be super OCD... Like really really OCD... Now im not as OCD as before, and i have 2 hairline scratches (because im smart to use a Precision Cutter to alter the previous screen protector) so i guess might as well go naked. I have never dropped my phone... Well my N20U did drop once and its because of the dumb phone holder which i was using, the phone flew straight up but no damage done(was using the UAG Monarch case). Now i have the Defender Pro so i hope all goes well until i get a new phone xD

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Without a good case.
And the dust.
I'd be worried about dust getting in the USB-C connection.
The stylus.
The speaker.
And other parts of the phone.
Last thing I'd be worried about is scratching the screen.

You have OCD? I use magnetic USB-C adaptors to "cover" the port... But i dont really care about the spen or speaker grills... But since you mentioned it now i care...

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes... OCD... I used to be super OCD... Like really really OCD... Now im not as OCD as before, and i have 2 hairline scratches (because im smart to use a Precision Cutter to alter the previous screen protector) so i guess might as well go naked. I have never dropped my phone... Well my N20U did drop once and its because of the dumb phone holder which i was using, the phone flew straight up but no damage done(was using the UAG Monarch case). Now i have the Defender Pro so i hope all goes well until i get a new phone xD

just pulled out a couple of old favs just to see really how much wear they took when I’d have them in my pockets everyday and such.... and this is before Gorilla glass anything lol.

Attachments

• 2A08F944-2FDD-4A33-8FF6-1CE357F1A134.jpg
    2A08F944-2FDD-4A33-8FF6-1CE357F1A134.jpg
    631.7 KB · Views: 39

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
My S7, N8, and N9 all used without a screen protector. Unfortunately I scratched up my S7 almost immediately, N8 only has a few minor scratches and I've carried it daily with me since early 2018.

Screen protectors offer protection and keep the phones screen in pristine condition no doubt but I don't feel they are necessary if you're careful with your device.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My S7, N8, and N9 all used without a screen protector. Unfortunately I scratched up my S7 almost immediately, N8 only has a few minor scratches and I've carried it daily with me since early 2018.

Screen protectors offer protection and keep the phones screen in pristine condition no doubt but I don't feel they are necessary if you're careful with your device.

I am careful if you ask... But sometimes being careful isnt enough. But i can give it a go.

just pulled out a couple of old favs just to see really how much wear they took when I’d have them in my pockets everyday and such.... and this is before Gorilla glass anything lol.

You must be a really careful person... I dont even put my phone in my pocket and im worried loool.

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
My preinstalled screen protector also had a couple of pieces of debris under. Fortunately it was on the edge. Else I would have also like yourself lifted it up.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I never used screen protectors in the past until after my Note9. On the Note9, once the oleophobic coating wore off, the screen was a oily mess after a few minutes and the screen was very tacky. Now I use a screen protector and change it every 4-6 weeks or whatever. That way the screen feels "like new" by staying cleaner longer with a smooth glide.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
FWIW, at one point I thought I didn't need a screen protector, and I put my Note 7 in a case, but did not cover the screen with anything. After just a few days, dust particles from my pocket scratched the screen in one area. It was small, but very noticeable. "Fortunately" we had the whole battery curfuffle and I was able to return it. But after that I learned my lesson and I always use a screen protector now.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I never used screen protectors in the past until after my Note9. On the Note9, once the oleophobic coating wore off, the screen was a oily mess after a few minutes and the screen was very tacky. Now I use a screen protector and change it every 4-6 weeks or whatever. That way the screen feels "like new" by staying cleaner longer with a smooth glide.

Change screen protectors every 4-6 weeks? What screen protector do you use? Is it case friendly?

My preinstalled screen protector also had a couple of pieces of debris under. Fortunately it was on the edge. Else I would have also like yourself lifted it up.

Mine was in the middle... And its annoying.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
WSD... Im never buying those again. I suck real bad at installing them. I have spent more than USD$500 on WSD for my previous phones(which is around 10 sets) ... And about replacing the display, since my N20U is "Made in Indonesia" , the screen is actually cheap. I checked before with Samsung Indonesia and it costs USD$310 to get the screen replaced(excluding the battery and service).

I currently am using the Defender Pro. Good case with good protection. But yeah i hope GG Victus stands up to its name. Another user posted a beat up N20 screen so it makes me wonder about how good Victus is...

I never had any issues without screen protectors but at times it just pops in my mind...
300 to replace a screen is not cheap. It does normally include a battery replacement here in the U.S.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007