Does it matter what does SD card I get?

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Looking at SD Cards for expandable storage for the Note 20 Ultra.

Does it really matter what speed I get?
Looking at options like...

[https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0887CHVF...n.com/dp/B0887CHVFF/?tag=cameratimes-20&th=1)

[https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-128G...apter/dp/B07FCQRN9K/?tag=cameratimes-20&th=1)

Is speed more important or storage size?

The SD card is for storage of photos and video. Do I have to manually put things onto the SD Card? Can I have photos/video automatically save there?

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't know much about SD card speeds, but what I would say is to be careful where you get your cards from, since counterfeit cards are still relatively common. Make sure the seller is a major retailer, and not some random 3rd party seller. (The links you posted are for cards that are both sold and shipped by Amazon, so they should be ok.)

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
i bought a SanDisk Extreme Pro MicroSD UHS-II 128GB few years back...great card with 275mb/100mb speed but until now no phone supports it yet.as it has 2 strips of idk what its called. If you can get Samsung then get Samsung...for me personally its Samsung No.1 and SanDisk No.2...but in Indonesia there are a lot of counterfeit Samsung microsd so yeah.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your input! Get samsung based off of the brand, or speed of the card, or quality of Samsung cards?

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
I agree. When in doubt ,buy it directly from the manufacturer website .
I don't know much about SD card speeds, but what I would say is to be careful where you get your cards from, since counterfeit cards are still relatively common. Make sure the seller is a major retailer, and not some random 3rd party seller. (The links you posted are for cards that are both sold and shipped by Amazon, so they should be ok.)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I personally think SD cards speeds are to a point that the only functional difference most people see is the numbers listed on the spec sheets. Between the two cards you listed, I don't think you'll notice a difference in real world usage and would go to space over speed.

One possible caveat is some cards may not handle high bit rate video recording well, like 4k60 videos with high resolution audio that some phones are now capable of. If that is your plan, then not only is speed important, but the speed range. A card may be rated for "up to" some very fast speed, but it may not handle that maximum speed continuously. So you need to find a card with a high minimum sustained write speed. But even in this, I would also say that when it comes to video recording, I prefer the stability of recording to internal storage, then copying the the video (not moving) to the card. Because of the variations in card write speeds and higher risk of corruption, I'd rather not worry about it glitching in the midst of recording. So even in this, I would go for space over speed anyway.

Also, I prefer getting my cards from established brick and mortar stores, or their online equivalents. As mentioned, counterfeit cards are all over online, and I go a step further and wouldn't even risk one sold and shipped from Amazon.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Wow, thanks for the awesome replies!

So... Ok. Thinking these now

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%2F6406411.p%3FskuId%3D6406411&token=hoaed3OW

Or

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%2F6290820.p%3FskuId%3D6290820&token=Ppk7JmgE

Both seem fast enough?

This also intrigued me
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%2F6425385.p%3FskuId%3D6425385&token=H1azTNC6
Seemed like a good price.

Good advice, @Mooncatt and @Mike Dee

I will probably record onto the internal storage and then copy over.

I can set my phone to choose where to save video and photos? I am picking up the Note today! Excited and nervous, coming from a Pixel 2xl, so going back to Samsung feels like a whole new world 😅

I want to back things up to Google Photos, too, for as long as it's free. That's a whole other thing. ☹️

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow, thanks for the awesome replies!

So... Ok. Thinking these now

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%2F6406411.p%3FskuId%3D6406411&token=ubu_wKpz

Or

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%2F6290820.p%3FskuId%3D6290820&token=_bQdeqQQ

Both seem fast enough?

This also intrigued me
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%2F6425385.p%3FskuId%3D6425385&token=Is-xq0k0
Seemed like a good price.

Good advice, @Mooncatt and @Mike Dee

I will probably record onto the internal storage and then copy over.

I can set my phone to choose where to save video and photos? I am picking up the Note today! Excited and nervous, coming from a Pixel 2xl, so going back to Samsung feels like a whole new world

I want to back things up to Google Photos, too, for as long as it's free. That's a whole other thing.

It looks like the forum software ate your links and redirect to this thread. Try them again but without the leading https? Just start the link at www.

And yes, you can set the storage location in the camera app. It may even default to internal storage out of the box, but I'm not familiar enough with Samsung to know for sure.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It looks like the forum software ate your links and redirect to this thread. Try them again but without the leading https? Just start the link at www.

And yes, you can set the storage location in the camera app. It may even default to internal storage out of the box, but I'm not familiar enough with Samsung to know for sure.
Yes default is internal can change to SD card , or first time open the camera app it will ask which storage you want to use .

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I personally think SD cards speeds are to a point that the only functional difference most people see is the numbers listed on the spec sheets. Between the two cards you listed, I don't think you'll notice a difference in real world usage and would go to space over speed.

One possible caveat is some cards may not handle high bit rate video recording well, like 4k60 videos with high resolution audio that some phones are now capable of. If that is your plan, then not only is speed important, but the speed range. A card may be rated for "up to" some very fast speed, but it may not handle that maximum speed continuously. So you need to find a card with a high minimum sustained write speed. But even in this, I would also say that when it comes to video recording, I prefer the stability of recording to internal storage, then copying the the video (not moving) to the card. Because of the variations in card write speeds and higher risk of corruption, I'd rather not worry about it glitching in the midst of recording. So even in this, I would go for space over speed anyway.

Also, I prefer getting my cards from established brick and mortar stores, or their online equivalents. As mentioned, counterfeit cards are all over online, and I go a step further and wouldn't even risk one sold and shipped from Amazon.
I've found that the products shipped by Amazon are genuine as opposed to some of the third party vendors.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I've found that the products shipped by Amazon are genuine as opposed to some of the third party vendors.

Yep you have to make sure the item is sold by and shipped by Amazon LLC..... otherwise you'll get a third party scammer. I don't use Amazon anymore for electronics, it's way too confusing to try and avoid the scammers, and Amazon almost encourages the scamming, and does absolutely nothing to try and stop it. They've also been caught recently selling fake health supplements that are a health risk. My wife still buys some items from them that aren't health or electronics related, but I don't buy anything from them anymore. I've lost all respect for Jeff Bezos and his huge shady operation. Almost as bad as Apple lol.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
SanDisk (back when they were Sun Disk - but the same people are there now) invented the technology.

Samsung, when an S3 update started corrupting SD cards, couldn't do anything about it. SanDisk modified some firmware on their cards to prevent the corruption. (The cards aren't just storage - there's a whole microcomputer, including storage and firmware, in the card.

All that said, the only 2 SD card manufacturers are SanDisk and Samsung. (Any other cards are bought from one of them and branded by the company selling them as "theirs".)

I still stick with SanDisk. I have a few 32MBcards that are still working. Totally useless these days, but they work. (And the warranty on all but the cheapest ones is - if it doesn't work, contact them online and they'll replace it.)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Do you expect to need the full 512 GB of the Samsung card? If not, then save your money and go with the 256 GB SanDisk. If you need the extra space, then I'd consider the 512 GB version of that SanDisk Extreme Plus and save a few bucks over the Samsung.

I've not looked into the Switch branded cards, so don't really have an opinion on them.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yep you have to make sure the item is sold by and shipped by Amazon LLC..... otherwise you'll get a third party scammer. I don't use Amazon anymore for electronics, it's way too confusing to try and avoid the scammers, and Amazon almost encourages the scamming, and does absolutely nothing to try and stop it. They've also been caught recently selling fake health supplements that are a health risk. My wife still buys some items from them that aren't health or electronics related, but I don't buy anything from them anymore. I've lost all respect for Jeff Bezos and his huge shady operation. Almost as bad as Apple lol.
That's what I meant but you said it better

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital