Does it matter what does SD card I get?

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, all! I ordered a Samsung Select Card, from Amazon, yes, but it ships and sold by amazon. 512 for $65, seemed to good to pass up. Fast speeds and high storage. If it is weird, I'm sure I can take it back. But we will see what Cyber Monday holds!

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had the worst luck with SanDisk, three I had to RMA where I just gave up. Even my local computer shop up here told me Samsung & SanDisk doesn't get along. lol

I actually prefer Kingston but I bought them because of they're on sale, even at Costco all they sell are SanDisk. Go figure.

No issues whatsoever with Kingston, Lexar as well.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I have both Samsung and SanDisk, all purchased from Amazon itself, not any 3rd party sellers. All of my cards still work with no issues.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
It looks like the cards they have examples of are like, no name branded cards. Hopefully since it's direct from Amazon, it's real and legit.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It looks like the cards they have examples of are like, no name branded cards. Hopefully since it's direct from Amazon, it's real and legit.

Just because a card has a known brand on it doesn't mean it's legit, though -- those labels can be faked really easily. But since you're buying a card that's listed as sold and fulfilled by Amazon, you should be fine. Even if the card ends up being bad, Amazon is good about refunds or exchanges.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I've had the worst luck with SanDisk, three I had to RMA where I just gave up. Even my local computer shop up here told me Samsung & SanDisk doesn't get along. lol

I actually prefer Kingston but I bought them because of they're on sale, even at Costco all they sell are SanDisk. Go figure.

No issues whatsoever with Kingston, Lexar as well.

I've used SanDisk in phones and cameras before. I had to get away from them after failures. Kingston and Lexar in like yourself with no issues. However, I've found after years of heavy usage, Samsung cards just work. No failure yet on those.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been using SanDisk for many years, and I still have working cards that are measured in MB, not GB. (Pretty useless for anything these days, but they still work.)

The speed of the card, if it's a reputable manufacturer (which means Samsung or SanDisk - they're the only companies producing the chips), is what the specs call for, for a U1 or U3 card. (It may be faster, but it will never be slower.) Since 4k video needs a U3 card's speed (and 8k video needs a V60 card's speed), just choose the card that meets the spec of the video you're recording. (But Samsung or SanDisk cards - as the article that B. Diddy linked shows, Huawei doesn't sell SD cards, so a card with their name on it may not even be as large as it claims, let alone as fast as it claims. And even companies that do buy the chips from Samsung or SanDisk and make their own cards may be getting second-rate chips. [That includes well-known brands like Kingston and PNY.])