Note 20 Ultra Not Fast Charging in car? (Or battery bank?)

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hello! Just got my note 20 ultra the other day and have been putting it through the paces.

Question, I went to plug it in, and while it DOES great charging when using the Samsung Wall Plug included, it doesn't want to charge fast in the car?

I plug it in, and it says "fast charging, 45min till full"

But then 2 seconds later it just says "charging" and the time changes to like "1hr 15min"
Screenshot_20201128-175251_Device care.jpg
Screenshot_20201128-175301_Device care.jpg

Earlier I also plugged in my external battery pack, and while it used to charge my pixel 2xl very fast, it did not for this phone. Note, it seems to be working. Weird.

I even found the setting that says Fast Charging.
Screenshot_20201128-173531_Device care.jpg

Car charger - anker 49.5 W Charger
www.amazon.com/dp/B071GF7WLW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_HiTWFb0RGZDQ9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Battery pack- zendure 10k mah 18 watt

zendure.com/collections/power-banks/products/supermini-blue

Any ideas?

Thanks for any input!

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Two things, neither will help you, more than likely - I have the Samsung Cigarette Lighter "Super-Fast Charger" and that works fine, but even better, my 2019 Ford F-450 Super Duty has an internal inverter with two plugs in the console and one on the dashboard. I use that with an extra Samsung "Super-Fast Charger that I bought for the truck and plug it into the A/C outlet on the dash - it's quicker that 12VDC for some reason. Like I said, that doesn't help you but... never underestimate the Manufacturer's Accessories... may cost a bit more but they always seem to work for me!!!
Dunno.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello! Just got my note 20 ultra the other day and have been putting it through the paces.

Question, I went to plug it in, and while it DOES great charging when using the Samsung Wall Plug included, it doesn't want to charge fast in the car?

But then 2 seconds later it just says "charging" and the time changes to like "1hr 15min"
View attachment 329316
View attachment 329317

Earlier I also plugged in my external battery pack, and while it used to charge my pixel 2xl very fast, it did not for this phone. Note, it seems to be working. Weird.

View attachment 329315

www.amazon.com/dp/B071GF7WLW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_HiTWFb0RGZDQ9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Any ideas?

Thanks for any input!
I've had that style with usb c and usb on the other different brand I believe torrent and the usb c gets wonky after a while the usb was good .

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 329316
View attachment 329317

View attachment 329315

Any ideas?

Thanks for any input!
Does it do this when the battery is near empty or just around 75%?

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Earlier it was around 60% and it was doing it, too. It was doing it yesterday, and I think... I think it was around 25% or something like that. That's when I first noticed it.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
So you think maybe try plugging in with a cable that goes from usb a to usb c and that might work? Thing is, it rapidly charged my pixel 2xl, no problems.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I don't mind buying oem, but I just hope this isn't a play from Samsung to get me to buy their accessories.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So you think maybe try plugging in with a cable that goes from usb a to usb c and that might work? Thing is, it rapidly charged my pixel 2xl, no problems.
Yeah try the usb slot, not sure it will work in your situation, but did in mine going between all my android phones and apple phone.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'll try the usb A side again, but it didn't seem to make a difference yesterday. Really discouraged by this, lol. I don't want to have to buy another car charger, this one wasn't cheap. I don't get why it charges just fine my other phone.

And why would it say Fast Charging but then switch to Normal Charging? Like, it is trying... But then stops.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Samsung uses the PPD charging still AFAIK so not just any 45w or 25w charger will work properly, a load of other brands will not charge the Note more than 15W, you will need the proper type cable as well.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Samsung uses the PPD charging still AFAIK so not just any 45w or 25w charger will work properly, a load of other brands will not charge the Note more than 15W, you will need the proper type cable as well.

INTERESTING...

So because the Note uses Power Delivery? And my Pixel used Quick Charge? That's a different standard... So that could be the reason?

I have this cable. Should this work?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LNA0XC...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6891663

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Doesnt the N20U support 25W maximum?

That's what the spend seem to indicate and I have not seen anyone confirm if it can do 45 watt charging. That said the 25 watt charger appears to achieve 25 watts at either 9v @ 2.77A or 11v @ 2.25A. I don't think the chipped PD cable is needed at this level but I could be wrong.

To the OP, Anker lists their specs for this on their website. The PDO appears to support 9v up to 3A. I would think this would work. Perhaps a proper cable is required. If try the OE cable with this charger. I would suspect the USB A port would be able to at least give you Qualcomm's quick charge capability. PD can be kind of finicky from my experience. But when I have had the right combination of parts, it seems to work reliably.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
To the OP, Anker lists their specs for this on their website. The PDO appears to support 9v up to 3A. I would think this would work. Perhaps a proper cable is required. If try the OE cable with this charger. I would suspect the USB A port would be able to at least give you Qualcomm's quick charge capability. PD can be kind of finicky from my experience. But when I have had the right combination of parts, it seems to work reliably.

Thanks, I will try with the OEM Cable! And I will try with USB A to USB C cable (if I have one).

Very helpful!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang