[Q] Note 20 Ultra can't use USB Storage

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, so I feel really dumb as I cannot figure this out and I have searched the web and here. Found some really old posts, but damn...

When I plug any USB Storage Device into my phone, I get the following:

"Security policy prevents use of USB host storage"

Any ideas? I have stuff I want to transfer off my phone and can't use an external storage or even USB to PC. :(

Thanks!

SeanD_Colorado

Nov 13, 2019
Visit site
Yeah, so I feel really dumb as I cannot figure this out and I have searched the web and here. Found some really old posts, but damn...

When I plug any USB Storage Device into my phone, I get the following:

"Security policy prevents use of USB host storage"

Any ideas? I have stuff I want to transfer off my phone and can't use an external storage or even USB to PC. :(

Thanks!
I haven't tried a USB Thumb drive, but I do use my Samsung T5 SSD drive to transfer files from my phone to archive them on the drive.

I will have to dig up a USC-C thumb drive and try that

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

SeanD_Colorado

Nov 13, 2019
Visit site
Thanks!

This is what I am using: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extr...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6899494

I used to be able to plug it in and have no issued, this is new.

Not sure what happened. :( I even used a USB-C "Dock" and nothing.
That seems to be a competitive type product to my Samsung T5. Actually I really like the Keychain hook on that drive. It makes it a bit more portable than the T5.

I just tried my T5 again because it had occurred to me that I hadn't tried it since the Android 11 update. It still works as it should.

I would ask if you had another similar drive to try, but it sounds as though you have already explored other options

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
That seems to be a competitive type product to my Samsung T5. Actually I really like the Keychain hook on that drive. It makes it a bit more portable than the T5.

I just tried my T5 again because it had occurred to me that I hadn't tried it since the Android 11 update. It still works as it should.

I would ask if you had another similar drive to try, but it sounds as though you have already explored other options

Yeah, I have a couple other portable USB SSD's and also tried USB Thumb Sticks and, as I stated, still can't use USB to PC for transfer too. The Phone shows up, no drives.

I had Secure Folder installed, wonder if that has anything to do with it too (I have since uninstalled it).

SeanD_Colorado

Nov 13, 2019
Visit site
Yeah, I have a couple other portable USB SSD's and also tried USB Thumb Sticks and, as I stated, still can't use USB to PC for transfer too. The Phone shows up, no drives.

I had Secure Folder installed, wonder if that has anything to do with it too (I have since uninstalled it).
I have had secure folder installed as well. Always have. That hasn't prevented the drive from working to this point.

I wish I knew more about troubleshooting these kinds of problems. I know I would be frustrated if mine suddenly stopped working

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I have had secure folder installed as well. Always have. That hasn't prevented the drive from working to this point.

I wish I knew more about troubleshooting these kinds of problems. I know I would be frustrated if mine suddenly stopped working

I appreciate the help. I ended up decrypting my card, pulling it out, moving stuff over, back in and encrypted.

Just got poops and giggles, I tried after decrypting the card, no dice there. Was sure it would not help, but tried anyway.

Thanks!

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh, one thing that I just realized (sorry, very distracted). I am on Android 11 now. Not sure if that makes a difference.

(Sprint OTA)

SeanD_Colorado

Nov 13, 2019
Visit site
Oh, one thing that I just realized (sorry, very distracted). I am on Android 11 now. Not sure if that makes a difference.

(Sprint OTA)
I am on 11 as well, which is why I had re-tried my Samsung T5 SSD. I realized I had not tried it since the update.

It worked fine. Nothing different.

So I found a 64MB USB Thumb drive and tried that and likewise no issues.

I can browse it, access files, etc.

I am using an Note 20U on T-Mobile. One UI 3 Upgrade (Android 11).
0c83d35cd1e6072031eb5141b628ea0d.jpg