trouble with offline mp3 playlists, m3u format (Galaxy Note 20 Ultra)

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
I recently upgraded to the Note 20 Ultra. Other than not having a headphone jack, which I hate, I love most other features. However, I'm having terrible problems with maintaining playlists for offline mp3s.

My old S5 had playlists in the .pla format. That worked well for me. However, it won't let me import .pla files into the music folder.

My problem: The m3u files become garbled (on the pc's end - the apps will read them). I seem to have to use .m3u playlists and I don't have a dedicated m3u editor. On the s5, I'd just click on the .pla, when attached to the pc, and a white box would pop up containing all the tracks. It was rather simplistic, but I could toggle files up and down, etc. I could also change the order on the fly using Player Pro and/or Samsung Music.

It's been a while since I tried anything else than pla on the S5 - but I vaguely remember that m3us either didn't work or had the same problem there.

What seems to happen is if I change the order in Samsung Music or Player Pro, the m3u comes up blank (in that same little white box editor used on the .pla. The m3u comes up in ok in the apps, but it's pretty useless if I can't add files easily or change the order from the pc. The main playlist in question is quite big; maybe 400 entries.

They're old time radio dramas, and I add and subtract (delete it off the phone) each night as shows are listened to. The 400 are built-up unlistened items. Re-doing a 400plus item playlist from scratch each night is not an option.

Any suggestions? I don't want to have to use two phones; my S5 as the mp3 player and the Galaxy20 Note Ultra for everything else.

They're offline files - streaming or the cloud would be pretty useless.

Am I missing something? Is there an easier way to edit m3u files (notepad as txt is pretty useless with that many files)? Are there any safe and free m3u editors? I tried winamp, but that's fairly useless. I think I can only add one file at a time via open (unless I make a dedicated folder to open them from).

Is there some other way to make a playlist? Some other format Player pro or Samsung Music would understand? Even if I could add the files into Player Pro or Samsung Music, it would be not practical to do the playlists there. It doesn't seem to let me drag multiple files up from the bottom of the list, unless there's a command I'm missing.

Most of the files I listen to are fresh, but I do use files from the 400.

I'm using Android 11, oneui 3.0

By the way, I dearly loved Player Pro on my S5, but it's trash on the Note 20. It invariably freezes. The "legacy' version works, but is missing many key features. VLC player takes FOREVER to refresh the files and playlists, so it is fairly useless (although I love the pc version). I've been forced to use Samsung Music, which isn't too bad.

It would be nice to be able to make on-the-go changes to my playlists. The ancient S5 could do it.

Are there any great apps that are similar to Player Pro?

I'm also not loving the dongle life. My wired headphones are a must. The sound's not bad, once I found a dongle with a decent DAC.

I like pretty much everything, other than the mp3 woes, about the Note 20 Ultra.

The Otterbox Defender is great for on the go listening. The belt clip is a big plus; allowing for quick access and it's much easier on the headphone cord than having the phone in one's pocket.

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
Drat. I'm hoping someone on this huge forum might know. It's worth a try.

I like your avatar, B. Diddy :) Crow rules!

Other than the mp3 issues, I'm loving the Note 20 Ultra. I watched a LOT of youtube reviews, sakitech, etc., to make my choice. I chose it over the 21 Ultra because of the expandable storage, s-pen, included charger, etc. Sakitech also has a tip of how to claim a Samsung AKG pair of earbuds. Once 3.1 is available, it looks like the 20 Ultra should have most of the perks of the 21.

I'm certainly no Luddite; I've built my own PCs in the past, but phones never really interested me until the S20 Note Ultra hit. Thus, I didn't study or keep up with them. One can just do a lot with a phone now. The time to upgrade had arrived.

Likes so far about the S20 Ultra..
-Many
-infinitely better operating system - more apps
-video wallpaper (loving that)
-108 MP camera, although a DSLR is a still better experience
-120 hz refresh rate

In-between:
curved screen edges. I like it for the edge lighting for notifications. However, it's not practical in some apps. Such as if I have to change the playlist order in Samsung music.The curve makes it more difficult. And perhaps might be an Achilles heel in a drop.

Dislike:
-the mp3 playlist problem.
-No headphone jack. The el cheapo phones have them. Why can't a $1200 phone? I wouldn't mind it being a bit thicker.
-the color. Unless I wanted to pay massively out of pocket, I had to go through a certain store. Thus, it's like the early Fords. It's black. However, it's hidden by a case. I would have vastly preferred a matte finish.
-no real notifications. Once the edge lighting flashes, it's pretty much over for notifications. I understand there's some third party apps which try to mimic the blinking notification lights of old phones; making the top of the screen flash, etc.

Sadly, looks like I'll have to use the ancient S5 today. The S5 is certainly no Note 20 Ultra, although it seemed so cool in its day. HOwever, it has two key advantages; removable battery and a headphone jack.

The ratio is bound to change with the nifty note, but 85% of what I use a phone for is the mp3 player.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if you briefly saw an erroneous response by me here -- accidentally posted in the wrong thread!

Always good to see another MSTie on the forums.:D

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
I think I *might* have fixed the problem by using another program to do the m3u editing. Let us hope...

Hooray, I might be able to use my expensive phone!

Other than having to live the dongle life, I'm loving 99% else about the phone. I'm eager to learn everything I can about it! I've been soaking up sakitech's youtube videos. He seems to specialize in Android.

Years ago, I had an iphone, but although I liked the phone itself, I hated what I dub 'authoritarian computing'. It would force me to only change my playlist from one computer.

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
It's pretty complicated, but I *think* I might have a workaround. I created a 'good' playlist to use as a template. I open that in said editor, save it as another playlist. Of course it can't save to the phone, so I have to save it to a folder and drag it into the phone.

I could be wrong, but I think that little m3u 'white box' editor I referenced might be created by the phone. It doesn't have any such editor if I click on an m3u on the PC.

Too bad it couldn't be as simple and reliable as the S5's .pla playlist.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's pretty complicated, but I *think* I might have a workaround. I created a 'good' playlist to use as a template. I open that in said editor, save it as another playlist. Of course it can't save to the phone, so I have to save it to a folder and drag it into the phone.

I could be wrong, but I think that little m3u 'white box' editor I referenced might be created by the phone. It doesn't have any such editor if I click on an m3u on the PC.

Too bad it couldn't be as simple and reliable as the S5's .pla playlist.
You get it going?

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
No. Each day has to be from scratch. It's really frustrating.

It's been quite a while, but I think that's why I didn't try .m3u playlists on the S5. The .pla format worked with less players, but was much more stable. I've used the same playlist file over and over (with constant changes) for years.

I guess I didn't do too bad; I ended the day with 67% battery life.

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
I give up. The Note 20 Ultra is completely useless for audio. The phone's m3u's won't even update anymore from the PC. I'm going back to my old phone to use as an mp3 player.

When I can reup my Google Play account I'll experiment with poweramp. I don't want to give google play any payment info, so I do it from a gift card for rare app purchases. As far as I can tell, google's made it virtually impossible to reup it conveniently. Yay, google.

I'm hoping poweramp might actually be able to toggle up/down multiple mp3s at once in the playlist. Adding fresh files to a playlist is the biggie. I don't understand why no app I've tried has been able to do this. It would be a PITA to do it from the phone, but that would solve my problems.

The mp3 player is 80+% of my phone usage. I might be forced to go back to the dreaded iphone someday. It's terribly frustrating. An m3u is a text file. One would think they'd be able to conquer that. Or also allow .pla. That evidently worked.

Hmm, well, maybe I just discovered something... https://www.howtogeek.com/192732/android-usb-connections-explained-mtp-ptp-and-usb-mass-storage/

Pan down to MTP - Media Device. This might be why the PC and the Android aren't really communicating.

Sooo...is there any way to see if usb is set to mtp on an Android 11? I found a few slightly older youtube videos, but they don't have the same settings.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I give up. The Note 20 Ultra is completely useless for audio. The phone's m3u's won't even update anymore from the PC. I'm going back to my old phone to use as an mp3 player.

When I can reup my Google Play account I'll experiment with poweramp. I don't want to give google play any payment info, so I do it from a gift card for rare app purchases. As far as I can tell, google's made it virtually impossible to reup it conveniently. Yay, google.

I'm hoping poweramp might actually be able to toggle up/down multiple mp3s at once in the playlist. Adding fresh files to a playlist is the biggie. I don't understand why no app I've tried has been able to do this. It would be a PITA to do it from the phone, but that would solve my problems.

The mp3 player is 80+% of my phone usage. I might be forced to go back to the dreaded iphone someday. It's terribly frustrating. An m3u is a text file. One would think they'd be able to conquer that. Or also allow .pla. That evidently worked.

Hmm, well, maybe I just discovered something... https://www.howtogeek.com/192732/android-usb-connections-explained-mtp-ptp-and-usb-mass-storage/

Pan down to MTP - Media Device. This might be why the PC and the Android aren't really communicating.

Sooo...is there any way to see if usb is set to mtp on an Android 11? I found a few slightly older youtube videos, but they don't have the same settings.
When you connect the phone to the computer you should see a option in the pull down notification panel?

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
Ok, well something turned up on youtube: I wanted to check before I went ahead with it, to make sure I don't screw up the phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgbjX7VghVM

starting about 1 min, 23 sec. (developer options). They change Mtp via usb options and then dial a code into the dialer. Wondering what the dialer code means?

By the way, now I can't even make fresh playlists via the pc. All the playlists come up blank on the pc. I've tried external programs to make a playlist and save (but it doesn't allow me to save on the phone). Said playlist has the old playlist, but nothing new added. I save to a location and drag it into the phone's music folder.

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
We might have a solution. A member of another forum suggested trying to make the playlist while the files are on my hard drive. Then copy the playlist over to the phone. It worked with a small test playlist!

*I just now tested it with all files on the playlist. It showed! I'll have to fine tune the selections now.

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
Knock on wood, I think it can be marked solved!

I had thought of that solution, but never tried as I thought the paths of the files had to be specific to the drive its on.

The new playlist way will take a little getting used to. It's similar to what I had to do for the iphone. It won't take too much time, as one can dump fresh files anywhere in the playlist when using foobar as the editor.

Hooray, my Note 20 Ultra goes from a 3.3/5 to a 4.8/5!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12