Is there anything about the Note 20 Ultra which you don't like?

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
Full disclosure; I've only had mine for a week. I'm excited about this model! I did so much research to pick the phone, even choosing it over the 21 Ultra (which also sounds like it's a very nice phone).

I'm loving 99% of the phone; there's a lot to love. Are there any features you're not enamored with? I sure would like a headphone jack, I have fairly serious problems making and maintaining a stable .m3u playlist on this model (can one use other types of playlists, such as .pla on this model, and if so, how?), and there could be a better notification light.

The curved glass was part of the reasons, albeit one of the minor ones, that I chose the 20 Ultra (the edge lighting for notifications). However, the curve is a PITA sometimes. It makes it relatively difficult to change the
file order in the Samsung Music app.

There are apps to mimic a notification light. Which ones are the best?

Dagr

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Not fond of the speed of the fingerprint sensor. Would prefer the higher refresh rate at the higher resolution, and am pissed that we have samsung free news feed instead of Google discover for OneUi 3.1 unlike the s21 series. Longer battery life would be nice too, but it's not bad.

But love the device otherwise and can live with those limitations.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm pretty much content with mine.

The only issue I had was sending back the Exynos version to Samsung UK and then imported the Snapdragon version from Hong Kong.

droid93

Sep 15, 2020
Visit site
Not really. The battery could be slightly better but apart from that, it's a fantastic device. I really do hope that we'll see the Note21 Ultra this year but I'm not holding my breath.

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
Until there's some other way to make a playlist for physical files (I don't have any such problems on my PC), I'm in playlist hell, having to make a totally fresh one every day. Can one make some kind of cloud playlist, even if one's files are on the phone? .m3u and Android evidently don't work well together. It won't let me use .pla.

I *could* use the old phone as an mp3 player, but that would create logistical problems and what's the use of having an expensive phone then?

However, it would be a really long post if I stated all the things I like about the phone and the newer android.

Denisew 1972

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Zero complaints... well, ok... the fingerprint sensor could be a little more responsive but other than that not a problem. I get great battery life 30+ hours most days, the size is beautiful for videos, wireless Dex is awesome, it turns my big screen TV into a computer and the phone becomes a mouse. Flawless connection to my devices.... it's a great phone! (and it had expandable storage, you won't get that with a newer phone)

RTD212

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Full disclosure; I've only had mine for a week. I'm excited about this model! I did so much research to pick the phone, even choosing it over the 21 Ultra (which also sounds like it's a very nice phone).

I'm loving 99% of the phone; there's a lot to love. Are there any features you're not enamored with? I sure would like a headphone jack, I have fairly serious problems making and maintaining a stable .m3u playlist on this model (can one use other types of playlists, such as .pla on this model, and if so, how?), and there could be a better notification light.

The curved glass was part of the reasons, albeit one of the minor ones, that I chose the 20 Ultra (the edge lighting for notifications). However, the curve is a PITA sometimes. It makes it relatively difficult to change the
file order in the Samsung Music app.

There are apps to mimic a notification light. Which ones are the best?

I hate how thick the camera bump is. When I have no case on it and it's laying flat on a table it's wobbly and annoying.

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Minor gripes only with the Note 20 Ultra - fingerprint sensor could be more responsive, camera is good the majority of time, but indoor pix and moving objects (kids, dog) blur too often.

Battery life has been outstanding compared to my last phone (Note 9). Usually never need to charge until night time

Phone is super quick for most things, WiFi6 is super fast too. Great phone overall

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Only real complaint was the FPS but I got that working finally.

I prefer the design of the Note 8/9 with head phone jack, right side S Pen slot, rear FPS, and bezels! That really isn't a complaint against the Note 20 Ultra but more my resistance to change.

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Minor gripes only with the Note 20 Ultra - fingerprint sensor could be more responsive, camera is good the majority of time, but indoor pix and moving objects (kids, dog) blur too often.

Battery life has been outstanding compared to my last phone (Note 9). Usually never need to charge until night time

Phone is super quick for most things, WiFi6 is super fast too. Great phone overall
I echo this. The finger print sensor is really my only gripe. This thing is a beast and does about everything I could ask and I run a business.

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
My only gripes are what most people would term minor stuff. Very few people use physical playlists anymore. Unless oneui 3.1 has changed things, one also can't make a custom ringtone for notifications without jumping through hoops, according to youtube.

Web browsing; liking it, coloring mode; loving that, I like the s-pen very much, etc, etc. Dark mode: LOVING that. I don't know how new that feature is. It's new to me. I adore how much easier it is to corral apps into behaving themselves. Bixby routines can also do stuff like customize when location is turned on. Video wallpapers are also awesome!

I'm sure I would have the playlist woes with ANY modern Android. It's probably Android, not the phone. An iphone would probably do better for a stable playlist, but then it's back to 'authoritarian computing' (my term) again. I disliked that very much; I liked the phone itself (back in 2010 - but hated itunes). I couldn't do much with my old iphone; I couldn't change the playlist anywhere but home, etc.

I'm still a bit worried about the curved screen and drops, even with an Otterbox Defender.

The dongle that I bought provides good sound, so I'm even getting used to dongle life.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I hate how thick the camera bump is. When I have no case on it and it's laying flat on a table it's wobbly and annoying.

I forgot about that because I never have my case off. It was a pretty dumb design... the phone lays at really stupid angle and even wobbles, when it is bare!

kway_NY

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
All of the above and I loath Samsung for giving me so much and later taking it away. Samsung pay points, SD storage on and off, Cloud storage, and so much more. Yes LG is looking so much better. Been here since the Note 3 and this N20U is my last. I don't like Indian givers! ****, now i am a Racist too. Samsung has corrupted me. GOOD BYE Sammy, **** that sounds, never mind.

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
I like the phone ok; I think my main problem (playlists) is Android-related. My theory, there's something that's preventing the PC from saving files onto the phone. It's some kind of permissions. If I could use it more like a true usb device, the problem would probably be solved.

I actually played around with the phone today, looking at video wallpaper themes from my favorite developer. I don't look at the S5 for fun.

It only took me about 7 or 8 minutes to do said list on the S5.

My favorite app (Player Pro) doesn't work on this phone, but I think Android is the culprit. Reading through Poweramp's reviews, I'm seeing some similar issues.

I've been preoccupied with the sound that I haven't even fooled much with the camera and learning all the settings.

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Only real complaint was the FPS but I got that working finally.

I prefer the design of the Note 8/9 with head phone jack, right side S Pen slot, rear FPS, and bezels! That really isn't a complaint against the Note 20 Ultra but more my resistance to change.

I can't understand why they put the S-Pen slot on the left side vs the right side since the very first Note. Some say it's because the needed more room for a bigger battery. It's more convenient on the right side unless you are a lefty then it's fine.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I can't understand why they put the S-Pen slot on the left side vs the right side since the very first Note. Some say it's because the needed more room for a bigger battery. It's more convenient on the right side unless you are a lefty then it's fine.
I'm a lefty so I liked the move but I can understand for the right hand users.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm a lefty so I liked the move but I can understand for the right hand users.

Speaking of lefty...

My gripe is I prefer the volume rockers on the left side where they should be.

I've adjusted... use my middle finger when holding it with my left hand to reach and adjust one handed... but it's not a natural feeling where I can say it doesn't irk me after time.

Also, I would like if the rocker was at least notched in the middle. Maybe even a bit of texture at the top and bottom of the rockers to be able to better tell where your finger is when you make first contact to make the volume change. I find myself sliding around to be able to + or - volume... if I haven't mistaken the power button as part of the volume button when trying to make no-look adjustments.

If I were a right handed holder... I would say the rockers are too high and prefer them to be lower so that you don't have to reposition/wiggle the phone off your normal holding position to reach the rockers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey