What next?

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Apparently any phone manufacturer which makes devices I like gets out of the business - I'm three for three with Treo, HTC and now LG lol

My v40 is chugging along after an insurance replacement last year (I broke the screen), but I had planned an upgrade for this year anyway.

I have tended towards flagships for their cameras and their usually larger size, but I'm open to other options that have what I need, given that yesterday's flagship is today's mid range.
Samsung seems the obvious move since I have an Active 2 watch, and I love the idea of a Note, but can't deny I'll miss the SD slot and headphone jack .

Is the A series any good?Would it be better to go with a used note 10?

Speak to me, Samsungians, so I can figure out where to go next. I'm Tmo.

Last edited:

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Sony Xperia 1 III

https://www.engadget.com/sony-xperi...ro-camera-smartphones-5g-specs-074022474.html

Apparently any phone manufacturer which makes devices I like gets out of the business - I'm three for three with Treo, HTC and now LG lol

My v40 is chugging along after an insurance replacement last year (I broke the screen), but I had planned an upgrade for this year anyway.

I have tended towards flagships for their cameras and their usually larger size, but I'm open to other options that have what I need, given that yesterday's flagship is today's mid range.
Samsung seems the obvious move since I have an Active 2 watch, and I love the idea of a Note, but can't deny I'll miss the SD slot and headphone jack .

Is the A series any good?Would it be better to go with a used note 10?

Speak to me, Samsungians, so I can figure out where to go next. I'm Tmo.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have an S10 and have had it for over almost a year and a half. It has been a wonderful phone to use. The camera is decent but a Pixel would give you a better experience in that department. Samsung's UI is great, and is much better than it used to be. I would definitely recommend a Samsung product - especially if you have a watch that you can pair with it.

Good luck, and let us know what happens!

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I'd suggest a Galaxy Note 20 Ultra! Great phone to me. Or if you can find the money, wait for the Z Fold 3 which might just come with an on-board S-Pen.
If you don't care about the S-Pen the get a Z Fold 2. They are great! I love mine.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
I think either of the Ultras are off the table both for cost and size - I had a look at the Note Ultra demo at Best Buy that is just TOO big.

Not sure what my life will be like after the world wakes up post pandemic; I may continue working from home, which means I won't need as powerful a phone as I did before. I admit I'm intrigued by the A71, but concerned by reports of network connection issues.

I also admit I'm going to miss LGs fabulous sound - and manual mode HD recorder. Can any of the Samsung recorders let you turn off limiting and adjust gain?

Decisions decisions......

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't care for the rumor of a smaller front display. That's going backwards imo. They need to go bigger like Huawei.

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
I think I've narrowed it down to the Note 20 or s20+. The s20+ is out of stock at Samsung, so that means I need to look at the 21+ too.

It appears Samsung is where I'll get the best deal, yes? A Note direct from them will save me $10 a month on my current V40 monthly+insurance (and will be less than half what the same Samsung phones would be through Tmo). Plus, the current offer will let me get some accessories for free.

Question 1: does the unlocked version of Samsung phones work on all Tmo bands (and also Tmo wifi calling)? We live in a "dip" in coverage - even though in a metro area - and those made a big difference to call quality.

Question 2: how is Samsung Care?

Question 3: what about that huuuugggeee camera bump on the Note - how breakable is it???

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
OK, maybe not. I wanted to do the buyback deal which would be ideal, but that only works with unlocked models, which often lack Tmo features like wifi calling. I'm not sure I can justify dropping nearly a grand on a phone.

A71?

Last edited:

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Disappointed the buyback program isn't possible for me as that would have been ideal, but after two days of reading reviews, I have a feeling it'll be the S20FE rather than the A71. I'm sad to slalom away from the Note yet again (I've wanted one for ages but dang they're expensive) but at least it also has a card slot and isn't actually the size of a book.....

At least I'll get new earbuds for free. :-/

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Annnnddddd.... it's done. Ordered the S20FE 256g (special at same price as the 128, although with an SD card I'm not sure it matters that much), free accessories offer got me free earbuds live and a case, and an edu address knocked a bit more off it.

I will miss LG's gorgeous sound, customizable HD recorder, and knock on screen, but there we have it. No Note AGAIN. One of these years....... ;)

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Hahahaha - I was waiting for somebody to say that. ;)

Does it count when I'm only doing it by necessity instead of preference??

Time will tell. 🤔

In truth, I used all those other ones at some point as well, but I was happy to get rid of old Palm and an early HTC, and Samsung was tried before I tried LG. Then went back to Samsung, demonstrating my loyalty. So I am completely innocent.

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
My favorite phones over the years remain my Treo 700 (loved having a stylus), the HTC1x (near-perfect imo) and latterly my LG V20 (solid piece of gear, and oh the sound!). The reviews of the S20 FE seem good, although I am disappointed to not have a pen-friendly model again. Alas, the Note was just too spendy without a trade in to soften the blow...

Last edited: