Note 20 Ultra Phone App Sleeping - HELP!

briggss3

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Never had this issue before with past Notes. If I make a call using the DEFAULT PHONE app, the screen goes to sleep in 5 seconds and there is literally nothing I can do about that. It's a PITA when having to deal with automated menus or am in the middle of something else. I have tried all of the battery management settings as well as set sleep to like 30 minutes.

Is there anything I have not done? Am I the only one with this issue? I have searched and all comments I find tell me its the battery optimization or app settings. Its not. One menu allows you to set apps behavior to not sleep, but "Phone" is not listed as an app.

I am beginning to HATE my Note 20 Ultra and wish I never upgraded from my Note 9. This issue is a huge problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
nope. lemme see if that fixes it. thanks

If it's already off, then turning it on probably won't help you. I was just thinking that if it's on, that might be a reason why the screen turns off so quickly (i.e., if you look away from the screen while the call is active).

briggss3

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm sorry but just wanted to clarify your answer , is it to the ear or speaker phone it's happening?

both. When I make a call, the keypad dims in 5 seconds and screen blanks out at about 7. its so frustrating to have to fumble around trying to keep hitting the power button to keep the screen awake. Nightmare on calls that are prompting you for a number response on automated menus.

briggss3

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
If it's already off, then turning it on probably won't help you. I was just thinking that if it's on, that might be a reason why the screen turns off so quickly (i.e., if you look away from the screen while the call is active).

the rest of my apps dont go to sleep. only the default phone app. it happens whether the phone is to the ear or on speaker.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
both. When I make a call, the keypad dims in 5 seconds and screen blanks out at about 7. its so frustrating to have to fumble around trying to keep hitting the power button to keep the screen awake. Nightmare on calls that are prompting you for a number response on automated menus.
My Note20U when regular talk turns screen off to ear and pull away it goes back on , I have to test speaker call , can try to increase screen timeout to 10 minutes see if that help or lock screen time out?

briggss3

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Is "Keep Screen On While Viewing" (what used to be Smart Stay) on? https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Note20/smart-stay-gone-from-android-11/td-p/1596379

Ok, tried that and did not work. If I call a number, then the screen simply sleeps in 5 seconds. I open the phone app, place a call, keypad is visible, 5 seconds off to sleep. Its driving me insane. I tried to just deal with it, but having to fumble for the poorly placed power button is a PITA too every 5 seconds.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok, tried that and did not work. If I call a number, then the screen simply sleeps in 5 seconds. I open the phone app, place a call, keypad is visible, 5 seconds off to sleep. Its driving me insane. I tried to just deal with it, but having to fumble for the poorly placed power button is a PITA too every 5 seconds.
It's deign by default like that

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When speaker phone is on and screen goes off a double tap on the screen lights it back up for me!

Well, at least that works -- but I can see how that can still be a pain. I'm pretty sure the screen stays on for much longer than 5 seconds on speakerphone on my Pixel 3 XL, so I'm still not sure what's going on with your phone.:-\

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well, at least that works -- but I can see how that can still be a pain. I'm pretty sure the screen stays on for much longer than 5 seconds on speakerphone on my Pixel 3 XL, so I'm still not sure what's going on with your phone.:-\
Yeah its more then 5 seconds probably 14 to 20 seconds it will dim then go off then tap to turn on

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Is this issue related to the Samsung Phone Dialer App or a particular Carrier? I'm having the same issue and it's been driving me bonkers forever - I'm with AT&T!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Is this issue related to the Samsung Phone Dialer App or a particular Carrier? I'm having the same issue and it's been driving me bonkers forever - I'm with AT&T!
I think pretty much all the andriod are like this

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20