Gallery Issue

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I have had a rather annoying issue lately. Some (not all) of the photos I take with my camera change. I will take a picture, it will be in the gallery as normal, then will change after awhile to a generic white screen with a gray landscape type icon and exclamation point. I cannot recover the photos once that happens and they even backup to my cloud storage as a nonworking picture. I have tried clearing the cache and data of both the camera and gallery apps. I am losing so many photos due to this. Anyone have any idea why this is happening and how to stop it? Other than a factory reset I can't think of any other thing that might fix this and I really dread factory resets as I always end up losing a ton of stuff.

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I have had a rather annoying issue lately. Some (not all) of the photos I take with my camera change. I will take a picture, it will be in the gallery as normal, then will change after awhile to a generic white screen with a gray landscape type icon and exclamation point. I cannot recover the photos once that happens and they even backup to my cloud storage as a nonworking picture. I have tried clearing the cache and data of both the camera and gallery apps. I am losing so many photos due to this. Anyone have any idea why this is happening and how to stop it? Other than a factory reset I can't think of any other thing that might fix this and I really dread factory resets as I always end up losing a ton of stuff.
Also try clearing Data from gallery.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I do have an SD card but they weren't going there. After I cleared camera data I was given that option though.

Do you know for sure they weren't being saved to the SD card? I ask this because if you say you only got the SD option after clearing the Camera app's data, then it's still not clear beforehand where they may have been saving.

Using a file manager app, look in the /DCIM/Camera directories in both Internal Storage and the SD card. Do you see any of the corrupted files in the SD card?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are these special kinds of photos, or standard photos? Are you using any special modes?

Are you able to open the photos in a 3rd party gallery app?

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Are these special kinds of photos, or standard photos? Are you using any special modes?

Are you able to open the photos in a 3rd party gallery app?
No just standard pick up your phone and shoot photos. Using stock camera app. No adjustments.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, and if you use the file manager to try to open any of those corrupted photos from /DCIM/Camera on Internal Storage, they still don't open?

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Ok, and if you use the file manager to try to open any of those corrupted photos from /DCIM/Camera on Internal Storage, they still don't open?
No. They won't load that way either. I even tried moving them from phone to SD and from SD to phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No. They won't load that way either. I even tried moving them from phone to SD and from SD to phone.
Have you tried removing the sd card and checking if they work again?

Try also Uninstall the update to gallery , or dont use labs there .

Then also clear data and force stop file manager of Samsung if others dont work

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried removing the sd card and checking if they work again?

Try also Uninstall the update to gallery , or dont use labs there .

Then also clear data and force stop file manager of Samsung if others dont work
Removing the SD didnt help. I'll try uninstalling the updates. No idea what labs are so I'm guessing I'm not using them?

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Ok try uninstall the update and see what happens
No change. As an example see the attached screenshot. The March 27 group were all taken at the same time yet only some have this issue.
777f5430cae62b82f6d02dac83a44c16.jpg