I am unable to record a voice message from my keyboard on my Samsung Android Note 20 ultra 5G

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

On my other phone I used gboard and I had the ability to push the microphone to do voice to text or I could hold it in and do a voice recorded message that would then send to whoever was on my screen for a message and they would be able to listen to my voice recorded message. I am no longer able to do that on my new 1 ultra 5G note 20 and I don't know why and I would like to know what I need to do to enable that to make it happen. Just to clarify yes I have a microphone yes it works perfectly for talk to text it is no longer recording a voice message to be played by a 1

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you using Samsung Messages? If so, then do you see the Voice Message icon at the lower right, next to the text entry field? It looks like a bunch of vertical lines from a spectrum analyzer. Long-press that, and it should prompt you to record your voice message. I circled it in this image:

Screenshot_20210801-103308_Messages.jpg

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

MaidUp13

Banned
May 15, 2021
Visit site
Course I see the microphone did you guys read my message to verify it does talk to text just fine with the microphone but the microphone doesn't allow me to record the message to be played back by a receiver yes I have a microphone no I'm not using Samsung I'm using gboard I said all this in my message

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Course I see the microphone did you guys read my message to verify it does talk to text just fine with the microphone but the microphone doesn't allow me to record the message to be played back by a receiver yes I have a microphone no I'm not using Samsung I'm using gboard I said all this in my message

Did you look at my screenshot? To record a voice message, don't use the microphone associated with the keyboard app. Long-press the icon to the right of the text entry field of the Messages app.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
As you can see from screen shot I'm using Gboard and there are 2 microphone the one I pointed to is for voice message, if it's not working then clear data and force stop your message app.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As you can see from screen shot I'm using Gboard and there are 2 microphone the one I pointed to is for voice message, if it's not working then clear data and force stop your message app.

To clarify -- the mic icon you're pointing to is for the Voice Message function for the Google Messages app, not Samsung Messages. So the OP needs to clarify which messaging app they're using (I was assuming it was Samsung Messages, which is the screenshot I shared).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
To clarify -- the mic icon you're pointing to is for the Voice Message function for the Google Messages app, not Samsung Messages. So the OP needs to clarify which messaging app they're using (I was assuming it was Samsung Messages, which is the screenshot I shared).
Yeah sorry I'm using the Google/Samsung collaboration app that come in newer Samsung device. But what I mentioned clear data and force stop the message app still applies if the voice record is not working.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yep, and we need to make sure there's no confusion between the mic icon that's part of the Gboard app, and the mic icon (or that spectrum analyzer icon in the Samsung Messages app) in the messaging app that's specifically for the voice message feature.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yep, and we need to make sure there's no confusion between the mic icon that's part of the Gboard app, and the mic icon (or that spectrum analyzer icon in the Samsung Messages app) in the messaging app that's specifically for the voice message feature.
Correct:)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This a screenshot on the stock Samsung message app, the message app is responsible for the voice record so if not working long press the message app icon then tap info and scroll to storage clear data and force stop the app Screenshot_20210801-144308_Messages.jpg

MaidUp13

Banned
May 15, 2021
Visit site
Yes I saw it and that's for Samsung keyboard I use Google gboard it's different

But if I'm not using Samsung and I'm only using gboard what does it make a difference to do anything to the Samsung app I'm not using it

I mean I'm not the most technically inclined obviously. But it seems to me if I'm not using an app why would I need to fix it to make the other app work it doesn't make sense to me so please explain

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Let's make sure we'll all on the same page here. Do you see the icon we're pointing out in our screenshots? If so, do you have that icon on your messaging app? Show us a screenshot so we can see.

MaidUp13

Banned
May 15, 2021
Visit site
Thank you
I will try to force stop
With all due respect.. the image, from what I see, doesn't give need a clue which keyboard it is. I can not tell them apart. And my confusion, apologies, the other member specifically asked about Samsung and sent Samsung image. Sorry.

I'm unable to screenshot when I have keyboard in view. I use palm swipe to capture. If there's another way to screenshot least let me know

MaidUp13

Banned
May 15, 2021
Visit site
I cleared data. I forced stop. I even uninstalled and reinstalled. And it's still isn't working except for talk to text. I just don't understand why I'm having so many problems with such a brand new phone I had no problems with my note 9 I should kept it so frustrating

Who might somebody I can go to locally that is smart about phones that can check my phone out thoroughly and find out what the hell's going on with it cuz Verizon doesn't help they don't really do much I've been down there a few times

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm unable to screenshot when I have keyboard in view. I use palm swipe to capture. If there's another way to screenshot least let me know
You can hold power and volume down simultaneously there are other ways also but stick to this for now
I cleared data. I forced stop. I even uninstalled and reinstalled. And it's still isn't working except for talk to text. I just don't understand why I'm having so many problems with such a brand new phone I had no problems with my note 9 I should kept it so frustrating
The stock message app you can't uninstall, so can you show me which message app you have by screenshot the icon ?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Who might somebody I can go to locally that is smart about phones that can check my phone out thoroughly and find out what the hell's going on with it cuz Verizon doesn't help they don't really do much I've been down there a few times
You can go to youbreakitifix they certified Samsung repair shop , Samsung experience store can also help , best buy maybe one of their phone people can assist.

MaidUp13

Banned
May 15, 2021
Visit site
I'm still using gboard

I did this it's still not working

I don't understand I've mentioned like four or five times Google Google keyboard gboard gboard I don't understand

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210802-114615_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210802-114615_Chrome.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 12

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol