I am unable to record a voice message from my keyboard on my Samsung Android Note 20 ultra 5G

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't understand I've mentioned like four or five times Google Google keyboard gboard gboard I don't understand
You have to relax , I know it's frustrating but when this is done over a forum we have to make sure we on the same page , if it was in person be totally different.

MaidUp13

Banned
May 15, 2021
Visit site
You have to relax , I know it's frustrating but when this is done over a forum we have to make sure we on the same page , if it was in person be totally different.

Yeah it's frustrating I don't know why it has to be repeated several times to the same people honestly you have to read
I'll ask for forgiveness but please read I mean I'm having so much issues with this brand new phone all of a sudden and I don't get it I just don't get it the volume doesn't work right doesn't matter if it's Bluetooth or not speaker or phone media volume it doesn't matter it's sometimes it's loud sometimes it's not and I don't do anything to adjust it it just randomly goes up and down. I'm having issues with the keyboard not only can I not do the recording an audio message but when I do do talk to text it never wants to record the first word that I say I have to go back and add it then the whole sticker Center garbage I'm going to just it's this is a brand new phone you're right I'm frustrated had it a few months and it's acting worse than my note 9 that I had for 2 years

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah it's frustrating I don't know why it has to be repeated several times to the same people honestly you have to read
I'll ask for forgiveness but please read I mean I'm having so much issues with this brand new phone all of a sudden and I don't get it I just don't get it the volume doesn't work right doesn't matter if it's Bluetooth or not speaker or phone media volume it doesn't matter it's sometimes it's loud sometimes it's not and I don't do anything to adjust it it just randomly goes up and down. I'm having issues with the keyboard not only can I not do the recording an audio message but when I do do talk to text it never wants to record the first word that I say I have to go back and add it then the whole sticker Center garbage I'm going to just it's this is a brand new phone you're right I'm frustrated had it a few months and it's acting worse than my note 9 that I had for 2 years
Which message app your using ?
Your keyboard dictate the voice to text features, your message apps does the voice record .

Go to settings>general mamgement>make sure everything there is Google , also clear data and force stop your Gboard

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thank you
I will try to force stop
With all due respect.. the image, from what I see, doesn't give need a clue which keyboard it is. I can not tell them apart. And my confusion, apologies, the other member specifically asked about Samsung and sent Samsung image. Sorry.

Once again, here's the screenshot I posted for the Samsung Messages app, because I assume you're using the Samsung Messages app to try to record a Voice Message, correct?

Screenshot_20210801-103308_Messages.jpg

Look at the lower right. Do you see that icon that's circled? It looks like a bunch of squiggly lines. That's what you have to long-press (not short-tap, but long-press) in order to record a Voice Message that then gets sent via the text message app to the recipient, who can then play it on their text messaging app. Do not use the microphone icon that is part of the keyboard. That is for dictation only, and will transcribe anything you say into text. I did not include a screenshot of the keyboard in that image because you don't need the keyboard to record a Voice Message.

Please let me know if this is not clear.

MaidUp13

Banned
May 15, 2021
Visit site
Which message app your using ?
Your keyboard dictate the voice to text features, your message apps does the voice record .

Go to settings>general mamgement>make sure everything there is Google , also clear data and force stop your Gboard

Everything is set to Google except for voice which is Samsung and I don't see how to turn that to Google. And how what do I do after I clear out the data and for stop it then what does it automatically start back up or do I have to open it back up and restart it

MaidUp13

Banned
May 15, 2021
Visit site
Once again, here's the screenshot I posted for the Samsung Messages app, because I assume you're using the Samsung Messages app to try to record a Voice Message, correct?

View attachment 335674

Look at the lower right. Do you see that icon that's circled? It looks like a bunch of squiggly lines. That's what you have to long-press (not short-tap, but long-press) in order to record a Voice Message that then gets sent via the text message app to the recipient, who can then play it on their text messaging app. Do not use the microphone icon that is part of the keyboard. That is for dictation only, and will transcribe anything you say into text. I did not include a screenshot of the keyboard in that image because you don't need the keyboard to record a Voice Message.

Please let me know if this is not clear.

It's very clear however I don't have the squiggly lines on my keyboard so you say not to use what's on the keyboard it's in the messaging app it's not in my messaging app and further no I just found a software update that was just hiding in my phone I was never notified of it and I don't have it set not to I have it set to let me know I'm telling you weird things are happening with this phone

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
It's very clear however I don't have the squiggly lines on my keyboard so you say not to use what's on the keyboard it's in the messaging app it's not in my messaging app and further no I just found a software update that was just hiding in my phone I was never notified of it and I don't have it set not to I have it set to let me know I'm telling you weird things are happening with this phone
The squiggly lines aren't on the keyboard. It's on the side of the text box where you type. Once you open up a conversation don't open the keyboard .Just look at the text box.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Everything is set to Google except for voice which is Samsung and I don't see how to turn that to Google. And how what do I do after I clear out the data and for stop it then what does it automatically start back up or do I have to open it back up and restart it
If your using Gboard it will use Google voice dictation but if you go Samsung I can show that part .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, I guess I'm still not making myself clear. As sweetypie31 also mentioned, and as I emphasized in my most recent reply, "Do not use the microphone icon that is part of the keyboard." If you'll notice from my screenshot, the squiggly lines are part of the messaging app and NOT part of the keyboard app. I also mentioned that "you don't need the keyboard to record a Voice Message​" in the messaging app.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Sorry, I guess I'm still not making myself clear. As sweetypie31 also mentioned, and as I emphasized in my most recent reply, "Do not use the microphone icon that is part of the keyboard." If you'll notice from my screenshot, the squiggly lines are part of the messaging app and NOT part of the keyboard app. I also mentioned that "you don't need the keyboard to record a Voice Message​" in the messaging app.
I'm starting to think OP should take the phone and have it looked at in person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol