Ugh!! Looks like my screen died on my N20U. Suggestions?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Honestly I am just assuming they included a new battery because I've always heard the ubreakifix display repair always included it. For that price they better of lol. But I do know from the first shop that its an entire assembly including top and bottom sides thats why they need to get the part corresponding to body color and I notice on the top and bottom of my phone it has fresh clear film like the ones that came with my phone when new.
Since they are a certified Samsung repair center I'm assuming they did also .

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I had a similar experience on a former phone only to discover that somehow the screen brightness had gotten turned all the way down. Could just barely see the screen at night in a dark room and adjusted the brightness. Then I took care to remove the setting for the brightness slider to show when opening the notifications so I couldn't easily do that again!

Yeah, wish I was so lucky. Middle of night I'm so pissed to have a dead display 300 miles from home I'm laying in bed pitch black fiddling with it forcing pressing buttons trying to get it to reboot and screen is pitch black.

I think I do recall once since I've had the phone a similar incident when the screen just blipped off and didnt come back from just a normal press but fiddling with the power button it came back. I just shrugged it off to some weird fluke. This time it stayed dead.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Since they are a certified Samsung repair center I'm assuming they did also .

Yeah, since they are a certified Samsung repair center and this is an official Samsung job with warranty on the work... I couldn't use the $10 ubreakifix coupon i got from their website cause it doesnt include Samsung repairs. :confused:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, wish I was so lucky. Middle of night I'm so pissed to have a dead display 300 miles from home I'm laying in bed pitch black fiddling with it forcing pressing buttons trying to get it to reboot and screen is pitch black.

I think I do recall once since I've had the phone a similar incident when the screen just blipped off and didnt come back from just a normal press but fiddling with the power button it came back. I just shrugged it off to some weird fluke. This time it stayed dead.
Always happens in the most inconvenient times , like a flat tire and your all dressed up to go somewhere lol

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, since they are a certified Samsung repair center and this is an official Samsung job with warranty on the work... I couldn't use the $10 ubreakifix coupon i got from their website cause it doesnt include Samsung repairs. :confused:
Thats crazy

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Thats crazy

Yeah.

Interesting note... The new screen came in a flimsy film with a square hold where the FPS is and thinking lucky my Spigen TPS screen protector came in a two pack... after peeling back that film and taking a few moments to caress the bare smooth before covering it up with a protector, as I am using a screen wipe to remove the fingerprints I notice... there is an additional screen protector installed on the display and this one is not a flimsy easy to peel off one. It's feels much smoother than the Spigen and almost unnoticeable to its on there firmly. I thought it was the GG with oleophobic coating its so smooth. Will see how long it lasts.

Attachments

• 64D0775E-5F81-4B5F-9B9B-4D11C16B20FB.jpg
    64D0775E-5F81-4B5F-9B9B-4D11C16B20FB.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 16
  • F19A8193-8D7D-49B8-B60B-AA91CFBB574E.jpg
    F19A8193-8D7D-49B8-B60B-AA91CFBB574E.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 1F1695CF-3CE8-477A-803D-9A7F2B39F0BF.jpg
    1F1695CF-3CE8-477A-803D-9A7F2B39F0BF.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 17

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah.

Interesting note... The new screen came in a flimsy film with a square hold where the FPS is and thinking lucky my Spigen TPS screen protector came in a two pack... after peeling back that film and taking a few moments to caress the bare smooth before covering it up with a protector, as I am using a screen wipe to remove the fingerprints I notice... there is an additional screen protector installed on the display and this one is not a flimsy easy to peel off one. It's feels much smoother than the Spigen and almost unnoticeable to its on there firmly. I thought it was the GG with oleophobic coating its so smooth. Will see how long it lasts.
Oh wow , when I took my s10+ to Samsung experience store for screen replacement under warranty it come with no screen protector but they replaced the battery.

larry1014

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar experience on a former phone only to discover that somehow the screen brightness had gotten turned all the way down. Could just barely see the screen at night in a dark room and adjusted the brightness. Then I took care to remove the setting for the brightness slider to show when opening the notifications so I couldn't easily do that again!

Had the same thing happened on my wife's note 20. I thought the screen was dead.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Oh wow , when I took my s10+ to Samsung experience store for screen replacement under warranty it come with no screen protector but they replaced the battery.

Where is the Samsung Experience store?? Many of those around the country??

Update to my screen story for those who like long stories...

So I was enjoying my new screen until I discovered an issue... When screen off/locked... double tap to wake screen does not work on the entire left side of the screen! :confused:

I thought it was the included screen protector causing sensitivity issue and kinda left it at that and then decided to factory erase the phone to make sure no issues but it still had the problem. Then I finally ripped off the included screen protector and... same problem. After spending about 5 days getting my apps and setting back to normal realizing I still had the issue (the ENTIRE screen works flawlessly once it's unlocked... no sensitivity issue... can barely touch the left side and it will respond... you can even double tap to lock. But once locked the left side is dead until unlocked).

So, on a Sunday I take it back to the ubreakifix and tell them my problem and they take my phone... I'm thinking bad replacement screen? They call back two hours later and say they "think" it's system board and can't do anything to help me! :eek:

Didn't try another screen? Test the logic board instead of guessing? (They said they don't have the diag tools for it). Since it's logic board and they are sure the screen is 100%... they said I should just disable the feature and live with it :eek: $350 and they tell me to live with it.

I call ubreakifix number on they website and the lady was gonna run the script on me and stand behind the store and say they have diag tools to test... then I tell her the store said they DON'T have the tools to test so I am just suppose to take the snot kids word for it that its the board and not he screen? I told the guy at store too better put my old screen back on cause I want a refund not living with a screen like that. But the lady on phone said then to take it to their "Corporate store" that was about 10 miles away so I told the guy at the first store, keep the new screen on because I am gonna have another store check every screw they tightened on that phone and see what the issue is and decide what to do.

So... I go get the phone, take it to the "Corporate store" and they don't have a spare screen but will order one and test. At least they offered to try another screen instead of telling me to "live with it!"

But also... while I was driving to the other store I took a closer look at my phone and noticed the back of the phone looked like it had a smudge or something but didnt really get a closer look but after the second pickup I noticed because there was more... they scratched up the paint on my back cover!! :mad: WTF?!! Everyone here know the paint is on the INSIDE of the glass so it couldn't have been made except with it opened and I've posted enough picture here to show my phone was perfect. I show that to the guy in other store and he's surprised too and wonder what they used to pry open the phone!!

My story ends here cause the phone is at another ubreakifix and wait to see what happens after they get another replacement screen and what they are going to do with the cosmetic damage. But right now having to deal with ubreakifix for Samsung certified work... they suck and hope no one has to deal with them. If these Samsung Experience stores are like real Samsung Stores like Apple service their own phone in Apple Stores, they need more of these and need to take care of their own products like Apple does. $1300 phone... how much is it worth after fixing and looking like this??!! :confused:

Up in the air too if I stick with Samsung and the S22U.

Attachments

• 5A1AB100-7623-4479-9833-5BB153D1F2C1.jpg
    5A1AB100-7623-4479-9833-5BB153D1F2C1.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 87071891-F79E-4202-B82F-EA1B67506594.jpg
    87071891-F79E-4202-B82F-EA1B67506594.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 49B4AF01-74F1-4DAB-A99B-4A90A685AADF.jpg
    49B4AF01-74F1-4DAB-A99B-4A90A685AADF.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 88F2C39E-1ED6-4DFA-801E-6A6947BED950.jpg
    88F2C39E-1ED6-4DFA-801E-6A6947BED950.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Where is the Samsung Experience store?? Many of those around the country??

Update to my screen story for those who like long stories...

So I was enjoying my new screen until I discovered an issue... When screen off/locked... double tap to wake screen does not work on the entire left side of the screen! :confused:

I thought it was the included screen protector causing sensitivity issue and kinda left it at that and then decided to factory erase the phone to make sure no issues but it still had the problem. Then I finally ripped off the included screen protector and... same problem. After spending about 5 days getting my apps and setting back to normal realizing I still had the issue (the ENTIRE screen works flawlessly once it's unlocked... no sensitivity issue... can barely touch the left side and it will respond... you can even double tap to lock. But once locked the left side is dead until unlocked).

So, on a Sunday I take it back to the ubreakifix and tell them my problem and they take my phone... I'm thinking bad replacement screen? They call back two hours later and say they "think" it's system board and can't do anything to help me! :eek:

Didn't try another screen? Test the logic board instead of guessing? (They said they don't have the diag tools for it). Since it's logic board and they are sure the screen is 100%... they said I should just disable the feature and live with it :eek: $350 and they tell me to live with it.

I call ubreakifix number on they website and the lady was gonna run the script on me and stand behind the store and say they have diag tools to test... then I tell her the store said they DON'T have the tools to test so I am just suppose to take the snot kids word for it that its the board and not he screen? I told the guy at store too better put my old screen back on cause I want a refund not living with a screen like that. But the lady on phone said then to take it to their "Corporate store" that was about 10 miles away so I told the guy at the first store, keep the new screen on because I am gonna have another store check every screw they tightened on that phone and see what the issue is and decide what to do.

So... I go get the phone, take it to the "Corporate store" and they don't have a spare screen but will order one and test. At least they offered to try another screen instead of telling me to "live with it!"

But also... while I was driving to the other store I took a closer look at my phone and noticed the back of the phone looked like it had a smudge or something but didnt really get a closer look but after the second pickup I noticed because there was more... they scratched up the paint on my back cover!! :mad: WTF?!! Everyone here know the paint is on the INSIDE of the glass so it couldn't have been made except with it opened and I've posted enough picture here to show my phone was perfect. I show that to the guy in other store and he's surprised too and wonder what they used to pry open the phone!!

My story ends here cause the phone is at another ubreakifix and wait to see what happens after they get another replacement screen and what they are going to do with the cosmetic damage. But right now having to deal with ubreakifix for Samsung certified work... they suck and hope no one has to deal with them. If these Samsung Experience stores are like real Samsung Stores like Apple service their own phone in Apple Stores, they need more of these and need to take care of their own products like Apple does. $1300 phone... how much is it worth after fixing and looking like this??!! :confused:

Up in the air too if I stick with Samsung and the S22U.
Oh wow , some have mentioned one store could be better then the other on repairs, I would be mad also , wow
I'm not sure how many are around but one was close to me I did a search on the web and roughly 17 miles away so used them. I went to ubreakifix first with my s10+ but having a little insight on repairs business for cell phones I wanted a Samsung tech doing the work even under warranty they can mess up but thought better choice . My pixel 4xl so far repaired by ubreakifix did a great job but it's the luck because they are not all the same .

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I hate dealing with support. But been in this business too in another life and know how it works... After calling ibreakufix support to complain about the other store charging me $350 and then telling me with half the screen tap to wake not working that it was a logic board issue and not the screen they put it, I was given the ok to take it to another store.

Took me a whole week of calling support to see what's up with my case and after about two hours of holding on phone last two days finally the tech came back this time around and said contacting the store they said a replacement screen FIXED the issue I had with the repalcement screen! Imagine that... I was right... that trying a replacement screen would fix the issue instead of trying to bend me over and tell me it's the logic board and to just disable the tap to wake feature and carry on. :eek:

But the case manager assigned to my case wasn't in so no update what they will do on the cosmetic damage and no answer if the other store had the right to charge me $30 more ($330+tax=$350) for the same screen replacement the other ubreakifix charges.

I'll just keep using my iPhone for now.

Oh wow , some have mentioned one store could be better then the other on repairs, I would be mad also , wow
I'm not sure how many are around but one was close to me I did a search on the web and roughly 17 miles away so used them. I went to ubreakifix first with my s10+ but having a little insight on repairs business for cell phones I wanted a Samsung tech doing the work even under warranty they can mess up but thought better choice . My pixel 4xl so far repaired by ubreakifix did a great job but it's the luck because they are not all the same .

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I hate dealing with support. But been in this business too in another life and know how it works... After calling ibreakufix support to complain about the other store charging me $350 and then telling me with half the screen tap to wake not working that it was a logic board issue and not the screen they put it, I was given the ok to take it to another store.

Took me a whole week of calling support to see what's up with my case and after about two hours of holding on phone last two days finally the tech came back this time around and said contacting the store they said a replacement screen FIXED the issue I had with the repalcement screen! Imagine that... I was right... that trying a replacement screen would fix the issue instead of trying to bend me over and tell me it's the logic board and to just disable the tap to wake feature and carry on. :eek:

But the case manager assigned to my case wasn't in so no update what they will do on the cosmetic damage and no answer if the other store had the right to charge me $30 more ($330+tax=$350) for the same screen replacement the other ubreakifix charges.

I'll just keep using my iPhone for now.
Wow what a experience :(
At this point they should fix the screen free and reimburse you the other screen replacement.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Right?! Back in the day I worked support for IBM ThinkPad Division. Before the days of outsourcing we use to throw free parts at people for their problems.You pay $3000 for a laptop you should get quality support and service. Now-a-days... not like that. I'll be lucky if I get my back glass replaced blemish free and the $30 difference credited lol.

Is this what they meant my "hassle free" warranty on their site?? I don't have the phone in hand yet so anything can happen until then.

Wow what a experience :(
At this point they should fix the screen free and reimburse you the other screen replacement.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Right?! Back in the day I worked support for IBM ThinkPad Division. Before the days of outsourcing we use to throw free parts at people for their problems.You pay $3000 for a laptop you should get quality support and service. Now-a-days... not like that. I'll be lucky if I get my back glass replaced blemish free and the $30 difference credited lol.

Is this what they meant my "hassle free" warranty on their site?? I don't have the phone in hand yet so anything can happen until then.
Yeah its not like that anymore , especially now .

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah its not like that anymore , especially now .

Well, things just got stupid from my last update. The support rep I spoke to on the phone Friday told me and I asked him to repeat so that there was no misunderstanding that he called the store that currently has my phone and was told that they tried another screen and the phone worked 100%.

I get an email from a ubreakifix "Resolution Case Manager" and he write...

My name is XXXX with the uBreakiFix Home Office. Thank you for your patience as I've looked into the issues with your device. After reviewing the work orders and speaking with store staff it appears the device was brought into the North Fort Lauderdale store a week after the screen was replaced. The device has been deemed unrepairable by the North Fort Lauderdale location. The photos provided have been forwarded to the area manager and we are working on a possible resolution. Thank you again for your continued patience.

WTF?? Person I spoke to Friday lied to me?? Or the case manager?? Now I am just pissed and wonder if they are going to get me back a working phone. At this point I'm about done with ubreakifix and Samsung if I have to deal with these guys as "Authorized Service Centers" in the future. :-\

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well, things just got stupid from my last update. The support rep I spoke to on the phone Friday told me and I asked him to repeat so that there was no misunderstanding that he called the store that currently has my phone and was told that they tried another screen and the phone worked 100%.

I get an email from a ubreakifix "Resolution Case Manager" and he write...

My name is XXXX with the uBreakiFix Home Office. Thank you for your patience as I've looked into the issues with your device. After reviewing the work orders and speaking with store staff it appears the device was brought into the North Fort Lauderdale store a week after the screen was replaced. The device has been deemed unrepairable by the North Fort Lauderdale location. The photos provided have been forwarded to the area manager and we are working on a possible resolution. Thank you again for your continued patience.

WTF?? Person I spoke to Friday lied to me?? Or the case manager?? Now I am just pissed and wonder if they are going to get me back a working phone. At this point I'm about done with ubreakifix and Samsung if I have to deal with these guys as "Authorized Service Centers" in the future. :-\
Wow
Sorry u going through this , hopefully just a mix-up between all them , geez :(

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If you you get it back functional , use it as trade in , dont sell it privately and have someone deal with any issues down the road , at least with trade in it will have to clear Samsung resale check list before they sale again , im assuming thats their process.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I wouldn't sell it privately... that would suck. I did do what you said with my Note 8... the wifi chip I believe failed after 3 years but the phone was pristine othewise so I used it for that AT&T $1000 credit and let them deal with making sure ok before reselling. I guess if they returned the phone to me as repaired by first store then it would probably pass trade-in too cause no one would probably check the tap to wake when they initially take it if it were onlythat. But as-is the trade would probably get me nothing because they marred up my back case paint from the inside.

At this point I am not getting my hopes up and ready to take whatever they try to do to get me off their backs and move on. Because someone is lying to me... either the phone person I spoke to or the case manager and maybe cause I made waves about the store and service and overcharging they want to label it as "unrepairable" and give me my phone and maybe refund and send me on my way with a paint damaged phone.

The funny part is is that it's the cosmetic damage that will cost me more in trade-in value than the screen issue that's not easily noticed.

Anyways, I replied back to him saying I need a resolution ASAP because after labeling my phone "unrepairable" I've lost all my patience in this after two weeks and want to move on. :-\

If you you get it back functional , use it as trade in , dont sell it privately and have someone deal with any issues down the road , at least with trade in it will have to clear Samsung resale check list before they sale again , im assuming thats their process.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I wouldn't sell it privately... that would suck. I did do what you said with my Note 8... the wifi chip I believe failed after 3 years but the phone was pristine othewise so I used it for that AT&T $1000 credit and let them deal with making sure ok before reselling. I guess if they returned the phone to me as repaired by first store then it would probably pass trade-in too cause no one would probably check the tap to wake when they initially take it if it were onlythat. But as-is the trade would probably get me nothing because they marred up my back case paint from the inside.

At this point I am not getting my hopes up and ready to take whatever they try to do to get me off their backs and move on. Because someone is lying to me... either the phone person I spoke to or the case manager and maybe cause I made waves about the store and service and overcharging they want to label it as "unrepairable" and give me my phone and maybe refund and send me on my way with a paint damaged phone.

The funny part is is that it's the cosmetic damage that will cost me more in trade-in value than the screen issue that's not easily noticed.

Anyways, I replied back to him saying I need a resolution ASAP because after labeling my phone "unrepairable" I've lost all my patience in this after two weeks and want to move on. :-\
I hear you i be pretty angry myself.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I hear you i be pretty angry myself.

Constant update... So I call the store that has my phone now... they confirmed what the phone support rep told me on Friday that the store tried another screen and it worked! But because they weren't the store that did my first screen replacement I need to take it back there to let THEM do the work otherwise they need to charge me for another screen! The same people that didn't do the first screen replacement properly AND scratched my back glass.

I asked the person at the store why the phone is labeled "Unrepairable" by Case Management and they said no the phone it fine and new screen works... just they can't do it without charging me.

I have no desire to take my phone back to the other store that messed up the screen replacement and scratched up the paint on my phone in the first place.

UGH!!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams