B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so. If anything, performance may take a hit, at least when you're using Google Photos or Google Drive, since SD card read/write speeds will always be slower than onboard storage.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
if i put all my google photos & google drive on the sd card, would the phone run any faster? Thanks for any reply.:)
What aspect of the device are you wanting to "run faster" ?

Playing games?

Loading web pages?

If anything, loading images into an image editor might be faster from an SD card since the file isn't being downloaded first.
I don't think so. If anything, performance may take a hit, at least when you're using Google Photos or Google Drive, since SD card read/write speeds will always be slower than onboard storage.
If the SD card is just data storage, how does that affect speed of the device itself?

I had a 128Gb SD card in my S20 FE that was nearly 3/4 full with images, documents, videos and a bunch of project file PDFs. I never noticed a hint of slowness in the phone itself.

I've recently changed it out and swapped in a 256Gb SD card. Only so I can add my music on it for when I'm traveling for work.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What aspect of the device are you wanting to "run faster" ?

Playing games?

Loading web pages?

If anything, loading images into an image editor might be faster from an SD card since the file isn't being downloaded first. If the SD card is just data storage, how does that affect speed of the device itself?

I had a 128Gb SD card in my S20 FE that was nearly 3/4 full with images, documents, videos and a bunch of project file PDFs. I never noticed a hint of slowness in the phone itself.

I've recently changed it out and swapped in a 256Gb SD card. Only so I can add my music on it for when I'm traveling for work.

I was thinking in terms of any app accessing the card for data, since read/write speeds are typically slower on SD. That may not be noticeable these days with faster cards.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I have about 35 gbs in Drive, and a little over 10gbs of music. If the phone’s internet speed isn’t affected, why don’t people just get the s22u w/256gbs?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Unless your internal storage is nearly full offloading data onto an SD card won't speed it up, it will actually slow it down if anything.

SD card speeds are less than 1/10th of the internal storage speed, I haven't used an SD card since the S7 for this reason, it actually slows down apps that read data from the SD card. It's why I never understood the demand to keep SD cards as an option.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
So i guess the S22Ultra 5G would be a better option?

Unless you are one of those very rare people that can actually fill a 512Gb or 1Tb SD card and feel the need to carry the data with you, S22U is better is every way I can think of.

I'm still rocking the Note 20U, great phone, but S22U is the better phone.