reccomend a ROM for Vz Note 3 / help getting there

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm rooted, stock, but am done with TW. I have less than 400MB of space left, due mainly to Misc files (29.5GB - WTF?).

I'm on Android 4.3, N900VVRUBMJE currently.
I wish to keep the multiwindow and spen, but will dump the bloatware I don't need.

My two questions are this:

Which ROM(s) are best suited to do this? I'm looking at Beanstown's right at the moment, because I believe it keeps me pretty stock. Or maybe Jasmines.

What do I need to do to get there? Looks like for Beans it's pretty straightforward, just following his instructions in the coming from MJE post? Looking more for reassurance here than anything else.

Thanks in advance. mac

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
At 4.3, your bootloader is locked, so your only choices are modifications of the stock ROM. ROMs for other carriers won't install on bootloader-locked Note 3s (AT&T and Verizon).

Install Safestrap 3,72 and you'll have 4 additional ROM slots, so you can download a ROM, try it out, set it up - do whatever you like with it. If you don't like it, you can boot back to the stock ROM. Or, if you find a few ROMs you like, and have enough space on your SD card, you can keep them all set up, and boot to whichever one you like at the time. (You can also back up the stock ROM the way you have it set up, or back it up, restore it to another slot and reset it to get a pretty stock ROM (rooted, but stock).

And, if you ever screw a ROM up spo bad that it won't even boot, Safestrap will still boot and you can choose a different ROM to boot to, or use the backup you made of that ROM before you messed it up (which you of course did, right?) Saved my bacon when I flashed a keyboard as if it was a ROM and bricked the ROM in the active slot. Five minutes and, aside from kicking myself a few times, everything was back to normal.

It's like GRUB for Android, and I wish every phone came with something like it installed.

Eleanor Kavanaugh

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
At 4.3, your bootloader is locked, so your only choices are modifications of the stock ROM. ROMs for other carriers won't install on bootloader-locked Note 3s (AT&T and Verizon).

Install Safestrap 3,72 and you'll have 4 additional ROM slots, so you can download a ROM, try it out, set it up - do whatever you like with it. If you don't like it, you can boot back to the stock ROM. Or, if you find a few ROMs you like, and have enough space on your SD card, you can keep them all set up, and boot to whichever one you like at the time. (You can also back up the stock ROM the way you have it set up, or back it up, restore it to another slot and reset it to get a pretty stock ROM (rooted, but stock).

And, if you ever screw a ROM up spo bad that it won't even boot, Safestrap will still boot and you can choose a different ROM to boot to, or use the backup you made of that ROM before you messed it up (which you of course did, right?) Saved my bacon when I flashed a keyboard as if it was a ROM and bricked the ROM in the active slot. Five minutes and, aside from kicking myself a few times, everything was back to normal.

It's like GRUB for Android, and I wish every phone came with something like it installed.

Eleanor Kavanaugh

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
with success in the advice you received in your reply my phone runs great Verizon Galaxy Note 3 but I can use exposed framework and gravity box and so forth ,but I'm still stock with root privileges and I'm wondering if I can take a OTA update or how can I keep Root or will it take it away any ,suggestions ?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure it I froze the update app on the stock ROM when I was running it, because the app I've been running for months had the update app removed. But it should be there. If you're rooted, just use an app like Link2SD to freeze it to make sure it won't update. It probably won't anyway, because rooting usually causes updates to fail (no telling what you did while rooted - the update could brick the phone), but freezing the updater will make sure.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks RukBat. Have Safestrap, but only at 3.65. Not sure upgrading to 72 gets me anything of significance or not.

Will look at stock based ROMs. All I really want is the space back that Vz and Sammy have taken from me.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're running 4.3, 3.65 will work. If you update to 4.4.x, you have to first uninstall Safestrap, then update the stock ROM (in the stock slot, of course, which is the only one remaining), then use Safestrap 3.75. Earlier versions won't work with 4.4.x.

You don't need Safestrap to get back the space though - all you need is to root and remove the bloat. But Safestrap is nice in that it gives you two things, multiboot and, to me the most important thing, brick insurance. I flashed a keyboard over the stock slot (which I had backed up, of course). Instead of a few hours of panic, it was just a few minutes to restore the backup. And if that hadn't worked, I'd still have a phone in slot 1 or slot 2 while I figured out how to fix what I broke in the stock slot.

It's the software Samsung should have used instead of Knox. You leave the company, they delete the company slot. (And Knox is about as secure as Swiss cheese.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance