Hi,

Hope someone can help. I bought an unlocked Note 3 from eBay a year ago for my dad. Discovered it wouldn't be able to have OTA updates because when I tried a month or so ago, it gave a message saying I couldn't. Now know the phone is rooted.

I came across this link from Sam mobile

[oops.... can't add the link as I haven't posted enough :-( ]

It gives instructions of how to update to lollipop but unsure how this will affect the phone.

1. Will I be wiping over the current partition, ie lose my data and have to reinstall all my dads apps again?

2. How would this affect the unlocked status of the phone? Would installing the lollipop firmware lock the phone to its original (unknown) network again?

Would be grateful if anyone could help.. Or at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-28-2015 07:28 PM
    1. Will I be wiping over the current partition, ie lose my data and have to reinstall all my dads apps again?
    Yes, so back everything up first (see Backing up an Android Device).

2. How would this affect the unlocked status of the phone? Would installing the lollipop firmware lock the phone to its original (unknown) network again?
    No effect at all. Rom and SIM unlock aren't connected.

Would be grateful if anyone could help
    My right direction, on a Note 3, was to stay at 4.4.2. 4.4.4 fixes the OpenSSL bug, but since I don't do anything that I need the security for (if you want to steal my solitaire scores, go ahead), and there's no root for 4.4.4, and LolliBug has nothing I want to put up with the bugs for (and for a Samsung AMOLED screen, all that white in Material Design eats your battery for lunch), I just disabled the update app (you have to be rooted) and the phone works - which is more than some people can say after they updated to Lollipop. Maybe version 6 will have a bug free version after fewer than 5 tries (5.1.1 is still buggy on some phones), but I doubt it. But if they come out with features I want, and can't get from apps, and there's a Note 3 update (which I doubt there will be), I just might update, once there's a root method. In reality, I think this note 3, running 4.4.2, is the one they're going to throw in the casket with me.
    06-28-2015 10:50 PM
    Thanks for the advice... I'll probably keep it on 4.4.2 for now.

The main reason I wanted to look into the update was the phones started to have a few OS glitches and I know it probably needs a factory reset. So thought why not update at the same time. The proximity sensor doesn't revert back to its normal state once it's been triggered. Annoys my (75 year old) dad so much, especially as he uses voice note alot on WhatsApp to keep in touch with friends. He has to put the phone to his ear to hear the voice notes instead of the sound coming through loud speaker (because once the proximity sensor is triggered all voice note sound is diverted to phone speaker). Only way round it is to force stop the app.. a bit too complicated for my dad to understand and remember.

Anyway the backup info was super useful, will use helium to back up the apps + data.

Oh one more thing, in the backup link you've written instructions on how to get the contacts to go from device to Google so it can be syncd later. Is syncing the device with kies on the Mac also ok for backup/restore purpose?

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-28-2015 11:44 PM
    Kies has a separate Backup/restore module where you can choose which data you want to backup and when you did the last backup.
    07-09-2015 04:17 AM