Galaxy Note 3 - Case & Covers Thread

BangOlufsen

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Note 3 Case Thread.

Giving back to the community who helped me transition smoothly to Android after eight years of Blackberry(still miss the physical keyboard!), here are pictures of the UAG case:

ncnUZIw.jpg

ugk0FZk.jpg

injlQoO.jpg

hfXyz2G.jpg

-It adds significant heft to the phone and doubles its thickness.

-Correct me if I'm wrong, but our phones have three microphones but I can only pinpoint two openings in the case for two. If true, whether that affects calling sound quality remains to be heard.

-The protruding lip protecting the screen is adequate.

-There is slight bulging of the case around the volume rocker, but otherwise the case fits tightly and well and the buttons are responsive.

-It doesn't sit completely flat on a flat surface.

-The included screen shield is arched/bent in packaging: not sure whether it was intended to make installation easier or a packaging issue.

I considered the Spigen neo case but pictures of rubbed off painted plastic bumper and the fingerprint magnet of the back cover made me reconsider. UAG's plastics are injection-molded with stain color throughout, not painted.

tippmann15

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

Giving back to the community who helped me transition smoothly to Android after eight years of Blackberry(still miss the physical keyboard!), here are pictures of the UAG case:

http://i.imgur.com/ncnUZIw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ugk0FZk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/injlQoO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hfXyz2G.jpg

-It adds significant heft to the phone and doubles its thickness.

-Correct me if I'm wrong, but our phones have three microphones but I can only pinpoint two openings in the case for two. If true, whether that affects calling sound quality remains to be heard.

-The protruding lip protecting the screen is adequate.

-There is slight bulging of the case around the volume rocker, but otherwise the case fits tightly and well and the buttons are responsive.

-It doesn't sit completely flat on a flat surface.

-The included screen shield is arched/bent in packaging: not sure whether it was intended to make installation easier or a packaging issue.

I considered the Spigen neo case but pictures of rubbed off painted plastic bumper and the fingerprint magnet of the back cover made me reconsider. UAG's plastics are injection-molded with stain color throughout, not painted.

I'm jealous

Note 3 <Caesars>

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site

My UAG case came today in Outland Orange. It is big and adds significant bulk to the phone. But it also provides a lot of protection I want for my back country adventures with the phone.

I wish it was a little grippier. The hex pattern on the edges is pretty grippy though. I left my Spigen screen protector on and haven't tried out the supplied screen sheet.
I don't have the bulging around the volume rocker the earlier poster mentioned.

I'm pretty happy with the fit of the case. I might get a slimmer case for in town use and keep this one for outdoor use. Need to spend some time with it and see how it goes.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Correct me if I'm wrong, but our phones have three microphones but I can only pinpoint two openings in the case for two. If true, whether that affects calling sound quality remains to be heard.

Yes, the third mic is on the lower right side near the Spen. You saying they covered that one? Can't tell from your pictures. I was really looking forward to getting one of these cases but I wonder if that will have a negative effect on noise cancellation or audio recording if the mic is covered.

LunatiqueRob

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

Yes, the third mic is on the lower right side near the Spen. You saying they covered that one? Can't tell from your pictures. I was really looking forward to getting one of these cases but I wonder if that will have a negative effect on noise cancellation or audio recording if the mic is covered.

EDIT, nevermind--I looked closer at your photo and the noise-cancelling mic is NOT covered. It's right there--that tiny hole next to the headphone jack.

BangOlufsen

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

I'm jealous

Note 3 <Caesars>

No need? It's a mass-produced good that's rather attainable.

My UAG case came today in Outland Orange. It is big and adds significant bulk to the phone. But it also provides a lot of protection I want for my back country adventures with the phone.

I wish it was a little grippier. The hex pattern on the edges is pretty grippy though. I left my Spigen screen protector on and haven't tried out the supplied screen sheet.
I don't have the bulging around the volume rocker the earlier poster mentioned.

I'm pretty happy with the fit of the case. I might get a slimmer case for in town use and keep this one for outdoor use. Need to spend some time with it and see how it goes.

Great review. Agreed on being bulky. I keep my phones for a long time as well(averaging four years) so hopefully this will keep it in tact.

I finally realized that these UAG cases remind me of Hummers. Its like a Hummer for your phone. I like it.

Yes, in that rugged look which I'm not entirely sold on and many hate. I really want a minimalist solid aluminum bumper case but the issues with reception keep me at bay.

Yeah, I'm looking for this third microphone and cannot find it. I don't see any openings near the pen.

EDIT, nevermind--I looked closer at your photo and the noise-cancelling mic is NOT covered. It's right there--that tiny hole next to the headphone jack.

So that's the noise-cancelling mic, thanks for fighting my ignorance. Where is the third mic, then? Second mic is clearly right of the usb port in the picture.

BangOlufsen

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

In this image you can see the third mic on the side to the left of the Spen

View attachment 89769

Good eye, thanks for pointing it out to me. As the second pic shows, there is no cutout for that mic but there does seem to be a gap in the case that seals a small volume of space when the phone is in the case. I have forwarded this discussion to UAG.

ugk0FZk.jpg

Lower left in this view.

BMWBig6

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtdCb16SWTA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

By far the slimmest case for the phone. Even thinner than the SGP and Rearth.

The only problem (for me) with that case is that it leaves the top and bottom exposed. If you like this style case (tight fitting with partial top/bottom exposure) I would also suggest looking at the Bear Motion Premium Slim Back with "Sand" Texture. Similar form factor as the above, and arguably better grip that still doesn't stick to your pocket. The sand texture may rub off from the corners with time though (it appears to be sprayed or dipped on the surface).

81BtwzxyopL._SL1500_.jpg
71Q-3bqekeL._SL1500_.jpg

PROS:
- Thin, doesn't add bulk (+2 mm thickness, +3 mm width, +1 mm length)
- Nice soft premium texture
- Looks great on the phone
- Still easy to use all buttons, access S Pen, etc.

CONS:
- Doesn't protect top or bottom, or area around side buttons
- Flush with camera (limited protection)
- Texture may not last forever

I love mine (and so does my wife), but I decided to try the Rearth Ringke (already shown earlier in this thread) for better top and bottom protection (and more protection around the buttons too).

PROS:
- Even thinner than Bear Motion, doesn't add bulk (+1 mm thickness, + 3 mm width, + 3 mm length)
- Raised lip around camera (better protection than Bear Motion, which is flush)
- Also looks great on the phone

CONS:
- Hard case surface with smooth matte texture (like Droid X?), but does show finger oils and is more slippery than Bear Motion sand texture
- Harder to use side buttons (just need to modify habit to press from below instead of directly from the side)
- The tops and bottoms are protected, but don't have a lip that curves over the chrome face bezel as much as the sides of the cover. The top and bottom of the case appear to be 0.5 mm shorter/lower than the sides, so top/bottom protection is still not perfect/complete.

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

^^ I like the Bear Motion but the fact that it doesn't protect the top or bottom is a deal breaker. Why, oh why do case manufacturers do this? Is there a functional or logical reason?

Caddyman46

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site

I got the Grey Spigen Bounce. So far so good. Has a good look and feel....buttons and S Pen are very easily accessible. Survived a couple drops so far....ocassionally I'm on the clumsy side

Sent from my stock/rooted MJ4 blazing fast beastly Galaxy Note 3

nelonez

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site

I got my spigen slim armor yesterday and it has the 3 cutouts for the mics... I also have another case that doesn't have the cutout for the mic by the s pen and really didn't notice any difference as ppl could hear me fine...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

bryonp

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site

On the right side corner of the phone down by the spen there is a hole what is it for? my tech 21 case has a cut out for it but my new uag case doesn't and if I have to send it back I'm gonna be so pissed waited almost a month to get this!

bryonp

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site

I got my spigen slim armor yesterday and it has the 3 cutouts for the mics... I also have another case that doesn't have the cutout for the mic by the s pen and really didn't notice any difference as ppl could hear me fine...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

Guess I got my answer it's a mic ? Will this affect performance if the uag case does not have a cut out for it?